Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
What are the standy rules for the new UA.

Under CO one can standby 12 hours before or after if the same class is available, otherwise airport standby only on the same day for flights before with fees or no fees depending on the elite levels.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hyho61
What are the standy rules for the new UA.
Plus or minus 23:59 from the original booked departure and it requires the same fare bucket as the originally booked to confirm or you can standby (only at the airport) if that bucket isn't available. Fees vary by status. Also, it is not possible to do "standby" for a later flight than the original scheduled departure; that is only permitted if it can be confirmed.

This is the same as the sCO policy immediately prior to the merging of the pss platforms.

Originally Posted by hyho61
Under CO one can standby 12 hours before or after if the same class is available,...
This wasn't the policy for a long time and still isn't.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 9, 2012 at 9:07 am Reason: added more details
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
what aisle is used to serve seats xC and xH on 767-300 in Business class?

Is there a standard for which aisle a FA uses to serve those seated in the middle section of seats xC and xH on 767-300 in International business class? I want to minimize the passing of food/liquids over me to the adjacent seat by choosing 8C or 8H . Of course this presumes that there is a standard and that it is followed.
Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by u600213
Is there a standard for which aisle a FA uses to serve those seated in the middle section of seats xC and xH on 767-300 in International business class? I want to minimize the passing of food/liquids over me to the adjacent seat by choosing 8C or 8H . Of course this presumes that there is a standard and that it is followed.
Thanks
IIRC they come down both aisle, either at the same time or up one and down the other.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

I want to confirm my understanding of the award redeposit fees here: https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

As a 1K, I can cancel (or change) my award ticket free of charge and have the miles/fees redeposited at any time before the flight? Is there a window for this, or can I cancel all the way up to the day of departure before I check-in?

I'm probably confusing the policy with Delta's where once you hit the 72 hour window there are fees regardless of elite status.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Gate check to final destination only?

I was flying PIT-IAH-GIG late last year and had to gate check my carry-on on PIT-IAH due to overhead bins being full on a 737, even though I was in F. And the PMCO gate agent told me she'd have to check it all the way to GIG which was very inconvenient given the long layover I had at IAH. Is it still the same policy with UA or do they have more flexibility?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by NiVRaM
As a 1K, I can cancel (or change) my award ticket free of charge and have the miles/fees redeposited at any time before the flight? Is there a window for this, or can I cancel all the way up to the day of departure before I check-in?
Correct.
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I was flying PIT-IAH-GIG late last year and had to gate check my carry-on on PIT-IAH due to overhead bins being full on a 737, even though I was in F. And the PMCO gate agent told me she'd have to check it all the way to GIG which was very inconvenient given the long layover I had at IAH. Is it still the same policy with UA or do they have more flexibility?
The official policy is final destination only. That said, I've short-checked with a long enough layover. When they asked my final destination I just said IAH.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Plus or minus 23:59 from the original booked departure and it requires the same fare bucket as the originally booked to confirm or you can standby (only at the airport) if that bucket isn't available. Fees vary by status. Also, it is not possible to do "standby" for a later flight than the original scheduled departure; that is only permitted if it can be confirmed.

This is the same as the sCO policy immediately prior to the merging of the pss platforms.
So, as a 1K.....I take it you can still standby for free. But no more confirmed standby within 3 hours of departure no matter what Y fare bucket is available?

Is standby still prioritized by status?

Now, theoretically, you can standby anytime the previous or subsequent day up to 23:59 from the booked time?

But I can only standby later if I can confirm the same low fare bucket I booked, which is hardly likely within a day of departure? How about award bookings....does the saver award space have to be available for you to stand by after the departure time? So if I want to standby for a Friday 5:00 pm flight (or 8:00 p.m. fallback), I should book for 3:00 p.m. on Saturday?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Explore
So, as a 1K.....I take it you can still standby for free. But no more confirmed standby within 3 hours of departure no matter what Y fare bucket is available?
They have a habit of opening up all the buckets around 3 hours out so a flight that is Y5 and zeroes for everything else at 6 hours out will likely become 5s across the board at 3 hours out. So the ability to confirm at 3 hours out mostly still exists anyways but there is more flexibility now in terms of what "same day" means in the context of an SDC.

Is standby still prioritized by status?
Yes, though involuntary standby passengers are prioritized over voluntary ones last I checked.

Now, theoretically, you can standby anytime the previous or subsequent day up to 23:59 from the booked time?
Correct.

But I can only standby later if I can confirm the same low fare bucket I booked, which is hardly likely within a day of departure?
Later flights are less common, but I've had it work successfully a few times (and failed once) when I've tried.

How about award bookings....does the saver award space have to be available for you to stand by after the departure time? So if I want to standby for a Friday 5:00 pm flight (or 8:00 p.m. fallback), I should book for 3:00 p.m. on Saturday?
I don't know how those are treated. Sorry.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:12 pm

On the Standby List - but I've got a BP

Apologies if this has been covered already. First trip on the "new" United was late last week. I'm Gold/1P. At the gate I'm on the upgrade list, but first is checked in full, no upgrade for me - fine. But on the Standby Screen (not the Upgrade queue, but Standby queue) at the gate and I'm #1 on the Standby list with a check mark next to my name. I've got a boarding pass already (did OLCI the day before), so I don't know what that is about. This happened on both my outbound and inbound flights. I talked to the gate agents both times (LAX and PHX), and none of them knew what it meant. Any ideas?

The only other time I've seen my name on the standby list (when I wasn't trying to go standby) was a year ago on a SFO-JFK ps flight with oversold E+ and I got moved up into C.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Apologies if this has been covered already. First trip on the "new" United was late last week. I'm Gold/1P. At the gate I'm on the upgrade list, but first is checked in full, no upgrade for me - fine. But on the Standby Screen (not the Upgrade queue, but Standby queue) at the gate and I'm #1 on the Standby list with a check mark next to my name. I've got a boarding pass already (did OLCI the day before), so I don't know what that is about. This happened on both my outbound and inbound flights. I talked to the gate agents both times (LAX and PHX), and none of them knew what it meant. Any ideas?
Current theory for this is equipment swap.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
using residual value from unused (non-refundable) tix

I think this is simple... I know how it used to work (pmUA) but I'm pretty sure it is different now.

I purchased a non-refundable ticket for, say $500. Cancelled before flight time, which was a few months ago. Shows up in my itins. Now I want to get a new ticket for $400 and use residual value.

My understanding is that under the current system I have to pay $150 up front, and then will have $500 of value (in the old system, I'd just have $350 of value to apply to the new ticket). But the new ticket is only $400. I assume I can do all the above and apply that value to the new ticket without forking out any more than that $150. Am I right?

But now I have $100 of left over residual value. Where does that go and how do I ever use it?

thanks much!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
But now I have $100 of left over residual value. Where does that go and how do I ever use it?
You get a new TCV (e-Voucher) that can be applied to any future travel for any passenger.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA MM
Thanks! This is great to know - I'll do that conversion first, and then use the left over voucher for the kid's ticket. And I trust I can use that e-voucher on a cash + voucher web purchase?

BTW, enjoy your TRs, a lot of fun, thanks for writing them!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:46 am

Thanks! This is great to know - I'll do that conversion first, and then use the left over voucher for the kid's ticket. And I trust I can use that e-voucher on a cash + voucher web purchase?
Basically, yeah. If you do it on the phone you need to ask for the TCV details right away so you can use it to book another ticket immediately. Sometimes they say that they'll mail it to you but I would press for getting it during the call. I'd do that even before the PSS integration.

BTW, enjoy your TRs, a lot of fun, thanks for writing them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.