Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:27 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about the new United Airlines – its operations or its Mileage Plus program, formed from the merger of United and Continental. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about the merged, integrated United Airlines, that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread or if the question is really about United or Continental operating as a separate carrier before the airlines are fully integrated.

2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 31, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
This thread is a very welcome idea.

Ok, I have a simple question:

A TATL L-Fare on LH - Does it earn 100% EQM and RDM?
Data on this page ...says "L" for flights connecting to a TATL will earn 100%.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1189,00.html

Not clear what happens to the TATL leg.

CO gives 50% for TATL L-fares on LH. Makes sense to credit to UA if UA gives 100%.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 1, 2011 at 10:51 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:18 am

Transfer miles United-Continental

Hello,
Can you transfer miles between United and Continental at no charge, as often as you'd like? Does transferring miles "refresh" them so the expiration date is extended? In terms of using the miles is it better to have them in United or Continental (in terms of flight availability, # of miles required, etc.)
Thanks very much!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
All UA flt #s, Mixed UA/CO metal, how will UDU work?

Flying HNL-LAX-EWR-DEN-HNL next week.

Overwaters (HNL-LAX & DEN-HNL) are UA flights on UA metal.
Transcons (LAX-EWR & EWR-DEN) are on CO metal (757 & 737, respectively) with UA codeshare flight #s, obviously.

Question: how will UDU work for me as a 1K on CO metal? Anyone have any experience as a 1K on CO on those routes?

Branch question: if I use a CR-1 instead of hoping for UDU, does that help on CO metal as well these days?

Mahalo! ^
Ted
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you go the CR1 route it will do nothing for you on CO metal.

You are eligible for EUA (CO's version of UDU) on the CO flights even though they are booked as a UA codeshare. You'll be prioritized after CO Platinum Elites on the list. Don't expect to get one on the transcon as those are rare, even for a platinum.

If you had more time (or just for the future) it is a good idea to link your accounts with CO and UA to match status over. That way you would have been listed as a CO PLT instead of a UA 1K and you would nudge up a bit higher on the priority list. You can read more about that process here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by GoGreen
Hello,
Can you transfer miles between United and Continental at no charge, as often as you'd like?
Yes!

Does transferring miles "refresh" them so the expiration date is extended?
Yes!

In terms of using the miles is it better to have them in United or Continental (in terms of flight availability, # of miles required, etc.)
Thanks very much!
That depends on a few things but chances are if you are looking to redeem on UA or CO, put the miles in the specific airline's account.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:22 pm

Thanks UnitedFirst, that's very helpful. Can the transfer be done online or should I call? I couldn't find a way to do it fee-free online, and I asked "Alex" on the Continental site who was totally useless .......
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks UnitedFirst, that's very helpful. Can the transfer be done online or should I call? I couldn't find a way to do it fee-free online, and I asked "Alex" on the Continental site who was totally useless .......
Transferring miles from UA to CO or reverse is fee free and can be done online @ united.com/transfermymiles or continental.com/transfermymiles (both take you to the same place).
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:11 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
One thing that isn't clear is whether you keep the original elite status, in my case CO PLT, or if that disappears if you request the match, as UA appears to only offer PE if you are CO PLT and didn't have 100k+ in 2010. My CO was a status match thru 1/12, done in the 2nd half of 2010, so only had 18k EQM's.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
One thing that isn't clear is whether you keep the original elite status, in my case CO PLT, or if that disappears if you request the match, as UA appears to only offer PE if you are CO PLT and didn't have 100k+ in 2010. My CO was a status match thru 1/12, done in the 2nd half of 2010, so only had 18k EQM's.
You absolutely keep both. That's the main point of completing the match - so that you have the best possible status regardless of which metal you are flying on. As a CO Platinum with <100K EQMs in 2010 you will be a CO Platinum and a UA 1P. If you had 100K EQMs you would have matched to 1K.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Do EQMs from both program combine at the end of the year?

Reason I ask is that I'm flying another airline that CO credits more EQM than United does (premium cabin). If they both combine at the end of the year, then I'd like to credit the mileage to CO rather than UA.

Thanks,

Billy
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:29 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yes, they will merge at the end of the year. Even better, however, is that you can link the accounts today and the combined accrual will take effect as it happens. If you have 40K in UA and 20K on CO and you link the accounts you will get 1P and Gold instead of 2P and nothing. There is a sticky in the PMCO forum and a tread in the PMUA forum though I don't recall if it is a sticky or not with details about the link that provides the linking.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Very useful information here! Does anyone know if UA has indicated how they will manage/merge Lifetime miles yet?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by travelsavant
Very useful information here! Does anyone know if UA has indicated how they will manage/merge Lifetime miles yet?
They have not. Lots of discussion about this in other threads.

Joe
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:48 pm

any advantage to adding mileage plus

I'm a Continental Platinum and will hit 100K next month and have 0 miles on United. Any advantage to adding my continental miles to united now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.