FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

trm2 Apr 5, 11 8:32 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 16160908)
All topics are welcome for discussion as long as they are reasonable. However, Per the rules of the box if you are flyers, southside felons I mean lakers, buckeyes, or yankees fan, you can expect to take some heat.

I thought it was Cavalier fans that would take some heat.

PS. Go Buckeyes.

Phudnik Apr 5, 11 8:38 am

Originally Posted by trm2 (Post 16163274)

PS. Go Buckeyes.

There are Cavalier fans?* :confused:

I have been ignoring the no-Buckeyes rule, but I am reconsidering my rooting interest. They probably should be put on probation, though I doubt they will be. (It is easy for me to do this since I have no family ties to tOSU other than my grandfather supposedly being thrown out.)

*Yes, I realize that they are still outdrawing the Indians, even without LeBr:rolleyes:n. I don't understand why either.

Canarsie Apr 5, 11 9:09 am

Congratulations!

As I do with all Lounge threads on FlyerTalk, I would like to wish all of those FlyerTalk members who post in the newest version of The Penalty Box all of the best.

May it create a vibrant community environment in the newly consolidated United Mileage Plus forum that will last for years, and may those who participate get the most enjoyment out of it.

GTITAN Apr 5, 11 9:19 am

Howdy B:rolleyes:x Classsic III. Travel was tough yesterday, but got home ok! US was not too bad on the A321 from SEA to CLT. Thursday is my next trip to PDX. Have 4 trips till 1K (or whatever they'll call it next year).:-:

colpuck Apr 5, 11 9:30 am

Originally Posted by trm2 (Post 16163274)

PS. Go Buckeyes.

meh, teh rules are teh rules.

HeathrowGuy Apr 5, 11 10:23 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 16161711)
Been there, done that.

Upgrade: Confirmed

I forgot my passport once on a spur of the moment trip from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario. Was able to cross both ways, but got the third degree from border officials on both sides.

HeathrowGuy Apr 5, 11 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 16163527)
As I do with all Lounge threads on FlyerTalk, I would like to wish all of those FlyerTalk members who post in the newest version of The Penalty Box all of the best.

May it create a vibrant community environment in the newly consolidated United Mileage Plus forum that will last for years, and may those who participate get the most enjoyment out of it.

Upgrade: Pending

Im sure Teh Box will bring fun for years to come, but we won't be the Mileage Plus forum past 2011. ;)

notabob Apr 5, 11 10:34 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16156578)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Paid a visit to the Brazilian Consulate this morning. They open for application acceptance at 10. When I arrived at 9:35 I was about number 40 in line. :eek:

I was processed and out the door by 9:50. :cool:

I depart for this trip on 13 April. Visa will be ready for pickup on 12 April. Nothing like cutting it close.

You can always try to stuff a trunk monkey in your carry-on...

trm2 Apr 5, 11 10:38 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 16163671)
meh, teh rules are teh rules.

I know there are a lot of Steeler haters out there, but they weren't in your list, is that OK

notabob Apr 5, 11 10:44 am

It's now officially official. NAN's gone. :( But I'm on the next to last flight out of there... :)

snod08 Apr 5, 11 10:45 am

A really funny video poking fun at all those extra airline charges. I enjoyed it.

There are "f" words (with a "e" replacing the "u").

But, its real fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

Mackieman Apr 5, 11 10:58 am

Originally Posted by snod08 (Post 16164245)
A really funny video poking fun at all those extra airline charges. I enjoyed it.

There are "f" words (with a "e" replacing the "u").

But, its real fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

That was pretty good. ^

photog72 Apr 5, 11 11:50 am

Here's a great (only?) reason to go to the Astros game on Friday:

Texas Raiders is just one of 12 flyable WWII B-17s remaining in the world today, and this vintage aircraft will be flying the Astros Home Season Opener, Friday April 08.

This vintage aircraft is headquartered in Spring, Texas and will be flown by an all-Texas crew: Pilot-Col Walt Thompson, Co-Pilot Al Feltis, Flight Engineers-Don Price and Dave Madden and Loadmaster-Howard Quoyeser. The Commemorative Air Force Gulf Coast Wing is a non-profit organization, whose mission is preserving American Aviation Heritage through flight.

Here's a clip from our 2010 midwestern tour:
http://www.tennessean.com/videonetwo...r-in-Nashville

Mackieman Apr 5, 11 2:29 pm

It be a slow day 'round the Box.

photog72 Apr 5, 11 2:49 pm

I don't know if this is needed. Discuss this:

1st Annual African American National Spelling Bee Championships To Take Place In Houston, Texas

(Houston, TX) – Spelling is an important building block to teaching children how to read. Research shows children who are good spellers become more confident readers. The movie “Akeelah and the Bee” was a heartwarming story however; no African-American child has ever won the Scripps National Spelling Bee in its 85-year history. The African American National Spelling Bee Championships, Inc.’s (“AANSBC”) focus is to get children excited about spelling. The goal is to help African American kids expand their vocabulary, which will make them stronger readers.

The 1st Annual African American National Spelling Bee Championships will be held May 14, 2011 from 9:00 a.m. to noon in the Auditorium of Jack Yates Senior High School, 3703 Sampson St., Houston, Texas 77004. Hundreds of students at several Houston schools are currently taking part in campus wide spelling bees. Winners of those contests will compete in the Championships for prizes.

Dr. Rod Paige, former U.S. Secretary of Education and AANSBC Advisory Board Member, says “all children can learn at high levels when taught at high levels.” Through specialized training of teachers, business professionals and volunteers, the AANSBC will train our children to be able to compete in spelling on a national and international level. Every child will be a winner.

For additional information on the African American Spelling Bee, go to www.beeaboutit.org.

The African American National Spelling Bee Championships is a 501(c)(3) public charity organization. The objective is to expose middle-school aged youth in inner city schools (grades 6-8) to the origin and spelling of words, increase vocabulary and develop confidence which will catapult students to a higher level of education.

photog72 Apr 5, 11 2:56 pm

Just received this winner of a :rolleyes:.

Can you smell what’s SSSSSSizzling? It’s Bacon! Now, the essence of the world’s most beloved scent is available in a high quality wearable fragrance, bacōn (pronounced Bay-Cone) by fargginay.

I would like to suggest a story on bacōn by fargginay, the World's First "Bacon in a Bottle", scent by the gods. Please find bacōn press release below.

To view the worldwide release of the hysterical bacōn commercial go to http://www.fargginay.com/

To download the electronic press kit with commercial and product images go to http://www.fargginay.com/press

Introducing the World’s First Bacon Fragrance, bacōn by fargginay
Wear the essence of bacon and uncover your new level of awesome!

(April 5, 2011) Chicago, IL – Can you smell what’s SSSSSSizzling? It’s Bacon! And now, the essence of the world’s most beloved scent is available in a high quality wearable fragrance, bacōn (pronounced Bay-Cone) by fargginay.

In each bottle of bacōn, hidden beneath 11 popular pure essential oils is an ever so slight hint of… bacon. Bacon lovers rejoice, for you now have the ability to bring your bacon with you and to harness the subtle and seductive powers of “Bacon in a Bottle.”

bacōn by fargginay is available for purchase at fargginay.com in two sophisticated 1oz. aromas, bacōn Classic and bacōn Gold each retailing for $36. These fragrances celebrate the bacon lover in all of us and can be worn by men, women, and vegans alike. bacōn Classic is best characterized as a spicy maple aroma and bacōn Gold, a memorable sizzling citrus.

“A person’s sense of smell is intricately linked to human memory, profoundly influencing people’s ability to recall past experiences,” commented John Leydon, brand founder. “These high quality fragrances are designed to trigger pleasant memories and they do it in a very subtle way.” The product tag line is “scent by the gods” and apparently for a very good reason. “These fragrances are perhaps the most thoughtful gift of all time for any bacon lover,” smiled Leydon. “They just rock.”

bacōn is a passion project mirrored after one of the 20th Century’s greatest legends. The Legend of Fargginay began in 1920 when quite by accident John Fargginay, a Parisian butcher discovered the ability to dramatically elevate his customers’ mood with a secret recipe blending herbs & essential oils with the essence of…bacon. As the story goes, film stars & heads of state would frequent his shop to procure the magical elixir. With a wink of the eye and the secret code, “fargginay,” customers would be slipped a discreet pouch containing the formula said to trigger pleasant memories. After a massive fire on July 4, 1924, the business was lost and so was the formula…Until now. Ladies & gentleman, behold your secret weapon, bacōn fragrances by fargginay. Consumers interested in uncovering their new level of awesome can go to fargginay.com and pick up bacōn today.

About fargginay:
fargginay, Inc. was founded almost 11 years ago born from a mission to resurrect the work of one of the 20th century’s greatest legends, John Fargginay. Learn more at www.fargginay.com

GTITAN Apr 5, 11 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16165962)

Ummm shouldn't "bacon related scents" be ^^

snod08 Apr 5, 11 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16165809)

Work is busy...

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16164330)
That was pretty good. ^

Yes, it was indeed.

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16165962)

Yes, my colleagues agreed it is disgusting.

cheepneezy Apr 5, 11 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN (Post 16165981)
Ummm shouldn't "bacon related scents" be ^^

Bacon related scents are good unless you're on a cruise and you happen to be sitting somewhere downwind from a kitchen exhaust in the baking sun at about 95 degrees with a very rocking boat.:eek:

Driving by DCA Apr 5, 11 5:36 pm

Good afternoon B:rolleyes:x III (or IV or V or whatever).

Haven't checked in here yet so just poking my head in to say hello and announce that I had a great time back in the homeland (TX) for the last several days and am now letting Tripp ply me with wine in the E Pclub pending my last segment home.

sbm12 Apr 5, 11 6:18 pm

I am very, very worried. I lit my grill tonight and it is not heating up nearly as quickly as it usually does. I am hoping that it is just low on gas but if it is dead I will be quite :( and :mad:. Of course, I will also get to buy a new grill, which will make me quite :D.

cheepneezy Apr 5, 11 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16167012)
Of course, I will also get to buy a new grill, which will make me quite :D.

Moar is moar!!^

Driving by DCA Apr 5, 11 6:41 pm

Okay B:rolleyes:x.

Time to pack up and head out of the the Pclub for my glorious chariot to BWI.

By the way, lots of awesome new livery to be seen from the windows here. The longer I stare at it, the more I think it's kind of hot. Especially the 753 for some reason.

jlemon Apr 5, 11 7:04 pm

Good Evening latest Box from the Hilton Post Oak in the big city of Houston.....

I'm glad to see that PBS is once again showing "The Civil War" series by Ken Burns.....I think it's one heck of good show.

And I wonder if PBS is doing so in order to call attention to the fact that they just might get their federal funding discontinued.....

I would be quite sad to see their great programming go away......

mduell Apr 5, 11 7:06 pm

18 pages? :(

zippypinhead Apr 5, 11 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 16167248)

Yes, you must read every one... you got off easy on this box. It's only 18 pages.

HeathrowGuy Apr 5, 11 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16165927)
I don't know if this is needed. Discuss this:

Upgrade: Pending

I did the Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee in 1994 -- sure, I didn't win, but I don't think my being a mang with a (then somewhat smaller) BBDS made any difference one way or the other.

HeathrowGuy Apr 5, 11 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16165809)

I agree, it's been rather quiet.

snod08 Apr 5, 11 8:23 pm

L:rolleyes:ng day. Finally done.

Everyone have a good night.

GTITAN Apr 5, 11 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 16166224)
Bacon related scents are good unless you're on a cruise and you happen to be sitting somewhere downwind from a kitchen exhaust in the baking sun at about 95 degrees with a very rocking boat.:eek:

Fair point ......:D

canadian_golf_guy Apr 5, 11 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Driving by DCA (Post 16167141)
By the way, lots of awesome new livery to be seen from the windows here. The longer I stare at it, the more I think it's kind of hot. Especially the 753 for some reason.

Too much Texas sun and cheap PC wine, me thinks;)

sbm12 Apr 5, 11 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 16167248)

Only 7 pages at 40 posts/page. :p

My cable decided to crap out just like the Yankees did tonight. No idea what is happening in the game now.

mduell Apr 5, 11 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16167720)

My cable decided to crap out just like the Yankees did tonight. No idea what is happening in the game now.

Ugh, I'm used to forums where the default (50 posts/page) is greater than the highest option (40 here).

HeathrowGuy Apr 5, 11 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16167720)

Setting the display to 40 posts/page makes it much easier to follow the convo in Teh Box.

HeathrowGuy Apr 5, 11 9:53 pm

Evening, Box. As you may have noticed today, there has been a change to my postings in Teh Box, and I think you'll like it.

In keeping with the United Continental Holdings spirit of providing as much information to customers in real-time, my Box postings which reply from another Box poster will feature one of three status messages:

Upgrade : Confirmed = I basically agree with much of what you're saying in a post

Upgrade: Pending = I'm of mixed opinion on the post

Upgrade: Denied = I disagree with you

rggale Apr 5, 11 10:18 pm

Oh my, this box is already at 20 pages? I have a lot of reading to do...

Driving by DCA Apr 6, 11 12:14 am

So many B:rolleyes:xes, so little time.

Home. Sleep. Talk to you in the morning B:rolleyes:x

snod08 Apr 6, 11 4:15 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy (Post 16167989)
Evening, Box. As you may have noticed today, there has been a change to my postings in Teh Box, and I think you'll like it.

In keeping with the United Continental Holdings spirit of providing as much information to customers in real-time, my Box postings which reply from another Box poster will feature one of three status messages:

Upgrade : Confirmed = I basically agree with much of what you're saying in a post

Upgrade: Pending = I'm of mixed opinion on the post

Upgrade: Denied = I disagree with you

Upgrade: Confirmed:D

Good morning Box.

jackal Apr 6, 11 6:09 am

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16163072)
The rain in South Florida apparently had the courtesy to come overnight and it looks like a partly cloudy and warm day here.

Too bad that I will not be able to get out to the pool or ocean until much later this afternoon when the thunderstorms may very well return.

Oh, what a hard, hard life you live.

GTITAN Apr 6, 11 8:56 am

Good Morning B:rolleyes:x Classic III