FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

sfogate Dec 11, 2021 10:53 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 33802649)
I am sorry for all of your back issues, and I am hoping you are enjoying a very happy retirement!
But I think Continental (Smisek) was more the downfall/rough times than UA was. Not to start a new debate. A Texas regional airline swallowing way too much!

All the best in your future!

Thank you, and yes I am enjoying my retirement. I see that you are GS so you would be more of a United fan, however Continental was not a regional airline. Smisek tried to do the job he was tasked to do but mixing oil and water was one hell of a mountain to climb. There was quite a lot that the public never saw or knew about.

I want to know where are all the old Boxers? I see very few names that I recognize on the United forum.

EmailKid Dec 11, 2021 11:43 am

Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 33803882)
I see very few names that I recognize on the United forum.

Glad you are enjoying your retirement :tu:

There's RNE and of course myself, a longtime CO posters :) Though due to some circumstances I was in process of switching to UA, mostly because they had SWUs, and CO did not. And then there was that CO NW divorce where CO lost all those Asia destinations :(

But ya, a lot of former regular posters are not posting to UA, though I seem to recall that at least some gave up on merged UA and either stopped flying UA or just stopped posting.

RNE Dec 12, 2021 7:11 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 33803999)
There's RNE...

Indeed. And while my glory is legendary and sung among the lurkers of Rohan, none compare to XYZZY. Mark my words, my friends: XYZZY was here before the airfields and the airports; XYZZY remembers the first windsock and the first taxiway. He made runways before the engineers, and saw the pilots arriving. He was here before the Wright Brothers. When the airmen passed westward, XYZZY was here already, before the skies were bent. He knew the dark under the hanger when it was lantern lit - before the Smisek came from Mordor where the shadows lie.

RNE, paraphrasing JRRT.

Xyzzy Dec 13, 2021 11:30 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 33805474)
Indeed. And while my glory is legendary and sung among the lurkers of Rohan, none compare to XYZZY. Mark my words, my friends: XYZZY was here before the airfields and the airports; XYZZY remembers the first windsock and the first taxiway. He made runways before the engineers, and saw the pilots arriving. He was here before the Wright Brothers. When the airmen passed westward, XYZZY was here already, before the skies were bent. He knew the dark under the hanger when it was lantern lit - before the Smisek came from Mordor where the shadows lie.

RNE, paraphrasing JRRT.

I've been here a while -- but not THAT l:png...

nomad420 Dec 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33808799)
I've been here a while -- but not THAT l:png...

I think I asked you about this once a couple years back and don't remember but when did FT come into existence? I thought I saw members dating back into the 90's?

Xyzzy Dec 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 33809032)
I think I asked you about this once a couple years back and don't remember but when did FT come into existence? I thought I saw members dating back into the 90's?

It was bef:eek:re me ... 1998 IIRC.

EmailKid Dec 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 33809032)

As I understand it, Randy Peterson had a newsletter (via snailmail), and at one point started this website (both before my time).

Every once in a while you may come across a poster with "Original Member" - see when they joined, and that is start of FT online.

(Wikipedia has an FT page, alas no original date / date of first post) Update, found it: Founded 1998 according to Wikipedia

milesmilesmiles Dec 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33809084)
It was bef:eek:re me ... 1998 IIRC.

Winner winner chicken dinner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlyerTalk

Weatherboy Dec 15, 2021 1:08 am

We need a good ol' fashioned meet in a CO Presidents Club :)

monitor Dec 15, 2021 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 33803882)
Thank you, and yes I am enjoying my retirement. I see that you are GS so you would be more of a United fan, however Continental was not a regional airline. Smisek tried to do the job he was tasked to do but mixing oil and water was one hell of a mountain to climb. There was quite a lot that the public never saw or knew about.

I want to know where are all the old Boxers? I see very few names that I recognize on the United forum.

We are still around and I can be found from time to time on the Delta forum. However the years are catching up to both of us, retirement happened last year, and we are not traveling a anywhere near a much a when we were working.
Hanging out ipn the South Florida weather has become more and more appealing so we are not getting up to NY very much in the winter.

​​

RNE Dec 15, 2021 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 33813679)
We need a good ol' fashioned meet...

You mean a "Do". ;)

sfogate Dec 15, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 33814044)
We are still around and I can be found from time to time on the Delta forum. However the years are catching up to both of us, retirement happened last year, and we are not traveling a anywhere near a much a when we were working.
Hanging out ipn the South Florida weather has become more and more appealing so we are not getting up to NY very much in the winter.

​​

Your place in Florida is so nice, I'd hang out there too. Happy retirement to you too. Isn't it nice to not have to do anything on a time table.

sfogate Dec 15, 2021 11:55 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 33814709)
You mean a "Do". ;)

Wouldn't that be wonderful? I got involved with some events that UA did but they tended to be small ones. Cigarman did show up for the one at ORD but he wasn't impressed-how could he be after starting the DO's. I'm not so sure the "New" United is or able to pull off an event like the old CO DO's. I wonder if Air Canada and Scott O'Leary is doing them?

Xyzzy Dec 16, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 33815125)
Wouldn't that be wonderful? I got involved with some events that UA did but they tended to be small ones. Cigarman did show up for the one at ORD but he wasn't impressed-how could he be after starting the DO's. I'm not so sure the "New" United is or able to pull off an event like the old CO DO's. I wonder if Air Canada and Scott O'Leary is doing them?

Sadly, n:(. But he and some of the old CO crew do seem happy at AC.

Law Lord Dec 25, 2021 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet (Post 31770773)
The last time I posted here, Ted was a thing. RAR!

Ah, yes, the infamous TED, also known as "the end of United."