FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

sbm12 May 3, 2011 6:33 am

Upgrade for BOS-LAX on UA tomorrow morning has cleared. :cool:

New EQL and I get to ride up front. Things haven't started to suck too much yet today, though I also cannot check in online as the flight coupon is missing. :rolleyes:

Mackieman May 3, 2011 11:56 am

Time to find something to do with my $350 E-Cert.

notabob May 3, 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16319858)
Upgrade for BOS-LAX on UA tomorrow morning has cleared. :cool:

New EQL and I get to ride up front. Things haven't started to suck too much yet today, though I also cannot check in online as the flight coupon is missing. :rolleyes:

Nice! I'm on that leg next Monday. Go, go gadget 1K UDU!

GTITAN May 3, 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by notabob (Post 16321785)
Go, go gadget 1K UDU!

Yes, indeeeeeeeedy haven't done it in a while, but that gets teh good ol' ^^

USAF Flyboy May 3, 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16321619)

Mileage run! If you can find a decent one with the summer fares

Phudnik May 3, 2011 1:33 pm

AUS-MCI-RDU-AUS BBQ tour. @:-)

monitor May 3, 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Phudnik (Post 16322186)

If he has never had it before, it would be interesting to see his reaction to East Carolina style BBQ. :)

windwalker May 3, 2011 1:54 pm

Good Eatin over here, The Pit has won several national awards

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16322257)
If he has never had it before, it would be interesting to see his reaction to East Carolina style BBQ. :)

Smoked Meat, swallow, enjoy. Imagine he'd survive

Mail to
121 Main St, RDU, NC, 27602

Originally Posted by FamilyMan (Post 16315458)
Hi all. First post in the penalty box...what's the purpose of this?

Welcome. We have no real porpoise

Mackieman May 3, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by USAF Flyboy (Post 16321961)
Mileage run! If you can find a decent one with the summer fares

Indeed, but there is nothing available under 9cpm out of AUS. :9

An interesting idea, but I'd like to stick to E+ on mainline UA if possible. MCI and RDU don't see to much mainline UA (nor does AUS for that matter).

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16322257)

It's...different. I am not a fan of the sauces but the meat is good. It's not as good as what we have down here but it certainly isn't bad in most cases. :)

Phudnik May 3, 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by windwalker (Post 16322336)
We have no real porpoise

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery...rs/flipper.jpg

Now we do

monitor May 3, 2011 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16322368)
....It's...different. I am not a fan of the sauces but the meat is good. It's not as good as what we have down here but it certainly isn't bad in most cases. :)

I, for one, really do like those vinegary sauces. This came into frequent play when I was working in the Triangle and out to Rocky Mount and Greenville.

SFOTerry May 3, 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16322460)
I, for one, really do like those vinegary sauces.

Why am I not surprised? :p

Mackieman May 3, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16322460)
I, for one, really do like those vinegary sauces. This came into frequent play when I was working in the Triangle and out to Rocky Mount and Greenville.

Apparently I'm going to get a healthy dose as my compatriot who is based in CLT is planning on hauling me up to Lexington, NC for what he says is the best in the state. We'll see. :cool:

GTITAN May 3, 2011 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16322536)
Apparently I'm going to get a healthy dose as my compatriot who is based in CLT is planning on hauling me up to Lexington, NC for what he says is the best in the state. We'll see. :cool:

He's right the barbecue in Lexington is quite good!:-:

windwalker May 3, 2011 2:55 pm

all wood smoked for many hours, melts in your mouth

jackal May 3, 2011 4:31 pm

I've been to CLT a fair number of times and have done road trips out of CLT up to three states away from there, but despite my best intentions, I never made it to Lexington. :(

monitor May 3, 2011 5:05 pm

There are places in Lexington that are absolutely great (I forget the names since the last time that I spent any amount of time there was 25 years ago when I was doing a deal with a guy who owned a piece of one of them).

However, the West Carolina-Piedmont 'cue is a lot different from the eastern. Instead of the classic eastern chopped in vinegary sauce, the Piedmont stuff is cooked crusty and served without a lot of sauce. When it is done correctly, it should be nearly perfect for those Texas tastebuds.

USAF Flyboy May 3, 2011 5:10 pm

Butt Rub BBQ on Southland ^

golfingboy May 3, 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16313162)
First post in this 'Box post Bin Laden (R.I.H. - Rest In Hell). The wife and I are still up watching the different channels. Channel 4 in NYC was on the air till 1:30am EDT. :eek: Time for bed.

I was in NYC throughout the whole thing and wow what a mess it is in the Big Apple... People celebrated like crazy, some of the metro stations closed up, news were all over ground zero for an interview yesterday afternoon... I took the PATH to WTC then connected to the E metro line to drop a friend off at JFK...

HeathrowGuy May 3, 2011 7:35 pm

Evening, Box.

I used the extension of the CO travel waiver to adjust the routing of my upcoming ICN mileage run. Was flying ICN-NRT-EWR-DFW, am now flying ICN-NRT-HNL-ORD-DFW (whew!). Of course, this raises a few questions:

1. Can I upgrade the return with UA miles given my outbound was upgraded with a CO SWU?

2. Even if possible, should I do a mileage upgrade?

3. Assuming I rely on UDU, should I use my 1P number on the itinerary for higher UDU placement and potentially "forfeit" the CO MM BIS miles or use my Onepass number and risk losing out on an upgrade as UA 1Ps and CO PEs get auto-upgraded ahead of me? I can try to switch the number mid-trip, but that carries some risk of screwup, and UA considers time added to UDU list as a factor.

notabob May 3, 2011 9:23 pm

All this BBQ talk... And it's not even Thursday. :rolleyes:

snod08 May 4, 2011 6:04 am

Hello B:rolleyes:x.

One heck of a long day yesterday. Today should hopefully be better.

zippypinhead May 4, 2011 7:10 am

I'm gonna toss this computer right out the window if just one more person e-mails this to me today:

"May the fourth be with you."
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

snod08 May 4, 2011 10:24 am

kind of a dreary day outside ...

Pa Kettle May 4, 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by zippypinhead (Post 16325991)
I'm gonna toss this computer right out the window if just one more person e-mails this to me today:

May the fo...never mind. :p

paranoiatx May 4, 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by zippypinhead (Post 16325991)

Ugh, I hear ya. My facebook feed is full of that cr*p. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Instead, look forward to tomorrow: Cinco de Mayo. Mmm, margaritas...and BBQ...on man now I'm hungry again. And thirsty.

notabob May 4, 2011 2:50 pm

US is a cluster:rolleyes: of an airline...

Mackieman May 4, 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by notabob (Post 16328727)
US is a cluster:rolleyes: of an airline...

What happened? As I will be spending an inordinate amount of time in US F in a couple of weeks, I am keenly interested on recent experiences.

sbm12 May 4, 2011 3:38 pm

Greetings from the LAX RCC. Made a SDC to a later LAX-SAN flight to ensure sufficient time to dine at In-n-Out for lunch today. Yummeh!

Pa Kettle May 4, 2011 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by paranoiatx (Post 16328319)
...and BBQ...

Speaking of which, I'm up for Mann's tomorrow, but I have a c:rolleyes:nference c:rolleyes:ll at 1PM, so I'm going to have be back in the office by then.

notabob May 4, 2011 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16328941)
What happened? As I will be spending an inordinate amount of time in US F in a couple of weeks, I am keenly interested on recent experiences.

Don't go through PHL. :rolleyes: airport with non-existent signage, non-existent gate agents, incompetent ops dept, and unprofessional FAs that would just as soon laugh at their passengers' questions to their face and tell them how the FAs are worse off because of these 2hrs+ that we've been stuck on PHL's ramp in a packed 319 than we are. That is assuming some passenger actually dared to distract them from the all-important task of completely ignoring the 150 people in their charge.

Mackieman May 4, 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle (Post 16329150)
Speaking of which, I'm up for Mann's tomorrow, but I have a c:rolleyes:nference c:rolleyes:ll at 1PM, so I'm going to have be back in the office by then.

I honestly don't remember my schedule for tomorrow. I think I'm pretty light (as far as meetings go anyway) and can maintain an earlier Meeting of the Order of the Knights Well Smoked™, but I will verify and let you guys know in the morning.

Mackieman May 4, 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by notabob (Post 16329222)
Don't go through PHL. :rolleyes: airport with non-existent signage, non-existent gate agents, incompetent ops dept, and unprofessional FAs that would just as soon laugh at their passengers' questions to their face and tell them how the FAs are worse off because of these 2hrs+ that we've been stuck on PHL's ramp in a packed 319 than we are. That is assuming some passenger actually dared to distract them from the all-important task of completely ignoring the 150 people in their charge.

Great, I have to transit PHL twice. Hopefully the morning sun will vanquish the terrible night.

Phudnik May 4, 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16329999)
Great, I have to transit PHL twice. Hopefully the morning sun will vanquish the terrible night.

As long as you're not in Terminal F'ed (which you won't be), you'll be fine. In the worst case scenario you can put up the :rolleyes: sign and I'll bring you beer. :-:

ETA how many times are you connecting? There are no flights AUS-PHL.

Mackieman May 4, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Phudnik (Post 16330195)
As long as you're not in Terminal F'ed (which you won't be), you'll be fine. In the worst case scenario you can put up the :rolleyes: sign and I'll bring you beer. :-:

ETA how many times are you connecting? There are no flights AUS-PHL.

Twice. SEA-PHX-PHL-SJU//SJU-PHL-ORD-AUS.

USAF Flyboy May 4, 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman (Post 16328941)

Don't check luggage on US...ever! And learn to speak phillipino for when you do.

snod08 May 5, 2011 3:15 am

Originally Posted by USAF Flyboy (Post 16330395)
Don't check luggage on US...ever! And learn to speak phillipino for when you do.

This is too funny!!

sbm12 May 5, 2011 3:46 am

There were at least 5 of us on the BOS-SAN MR deal on my redeye last night. :cool:

Shower time!

Mackieman May 5, 2011 8:05 am

Friends, rejoice: it is BBQ Thursday. :-:

paranoiatx May 5, 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by USAF Flyboy (Post 16330395)

Oh boy...no choice for an upcoming Mexico trip. Gotta check the scuba gear. :eek: