FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

mnmag Sep 17, 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 17123632)
Also, Global Entry interview tomorrow!

Applied earlier this week, conditionally approved Thursday afternoon and every interview slot was available tomorrow. Chose a slot tomorrow morning and realized that the poor interview guy may have to come in to work just because of me.

Also, under special instructions, it says to call them ahead of time. Seems a little strange, but I guess I'll call them as I'm driving into the airport...

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 17123725)
^^

It is a wonderful service. I'm a huge fan.

Agree -- GE is absolutely an invaluable service!^

xFF Sep 17, 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 17124413)
Iam a legacy CO flyer, but am also not the sort to set myself up for 'disappointment' -- so have been just letting things unfold w/this merger, and learn as it happens!

That's the wisest position to take; ultimately, it's all small stuff regarding what is basically a customer / service provider relationship.

Social constructs, communities, groups bound by shared experience or goal are constantly subject to ebbs and flows, collectively and individually. Decisions and changes in the focii of my life suppressed the bond I had formed with the FT community. Suppressed, but didn't destroy.

I came back to FT just now to get some information on, and read the speculation and histrionics regarding the infinite elite program, and the next thing I did was look to find the Box. The post- and view- counts defined the outcome, and now I've learned enough that I can fill in a framework of the story.

mnmag Sep 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by xFF (Post 17125105)
That's the wisest position to take; ultimately, it's all small stuff regarding what is basically a customer / service provider relationship.
Agree!
Social constructs, communities, groups bound by shared experience or goal are constantly subject to ebbs and flows, collectively and individually. Decisions and changes in the focii of my life suppressed the bond I had formed with the FT community. Suppressed, but didn't destroy.
Hey -- we all go through changes & choices, -- that's life!;)
I came back to FT just now to get some information on, and read the speculation and histrionics regarding the infinite elite program, and the next thing I did was look to find the Box. The post- and view- counts defined the outcome, and now I've learned enough that I can fill in a framework of the story.

Wow, have not heard Harry Nilsson in years!:)

wcalvert Sep 17, 2011 1:11 pm

GE approved! Was in the office less than 30 minutes, and that included a 10 minute wait to get started and the 6 minute interview. There were 3 other people scheduled for 10am, so it looks like 4 is the limit.

mnmag Sep 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 17126202)
GE approved! Was in the office less than 30 minutes, and that included a 10 minute wait to get started and the 6 minute interview. There were 3 other people scheduled for 10am, so it looks like 4 is the limit.

Great! ^
The GE interview is so 'efficient' compared to that for Nexus!:rolleyes:

jasonvr Sep 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Hello for the first time Box!

Had my first UDU as a 1P clear this morning (SNA-SFO). Placed into 1E on a UA 752 though :( Moved myself into a window in row 4, which I don't prefer, but it's still better than 1E. Going to 1E from a nice exit row aisle seat almost seems like a downgrade :D

wcalvert Sep 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 17127403)
Hello for the first time Box!

Had my first UDU as a 1P clear this morning (SNA-SFO). Placed into 1E on a UA 752 though :( Moved myself into a window in row 4, which I don't prefer, but it's still better than 1E. Going to 1E from a nice exit row aisle seat almost seems like a downgrade :D

Yikes, what is so bad about 1E?

mnmag Sep 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 17130392)

Yes, I'm confused about that, as well -- isn't that an aisle seat, too?!:confused:

I guess the OP couldn't change the seat assignment after the EUA!

jasonvr Sep 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 17130392)

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 17130402)
Yes, I'm confused about that, as well -- isn't that an aisle seat, too?!:confused:

I guess the OP couldn't change the seat assignment after the EUA!

1E on UA 752s is one of the worst seats on the entire plane. It has almost no legroom (less than coach) due to the wall directly in front of you. Also, since it is a "bulkhead" it has no floor storage. Take a look at Seatguru for that plane (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...ter09JUN11.php). It and 1F are some of the only red seats on the entire plane.

Even though I don't like windows, I'll take a window in F (or an exit row in Y) over 1E/F any day.

wcalvert Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 17131193)
1E on UA 752s is one of the worst seats on the entire plane. It has almost no legroom (less than coach) due to the wall directly in front of you. Also, since it is a "bulkhead" it has no floor storage. Take a look at Seatguru for that plane (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...ter09JUN11.php). It and 1F are some of the only red seats on the entire plane.

Even though I don't like windows, I'll take a window in F (or an exit row in Y) over 1E/F any day.

Duly noted. Have a flight on a 753 that I have a high chance of getting the UDU on later this year.

jasonvr Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert (Post 17131360)
Duly noted. Have a flight on a 753 that I have a high chance of getting the UDU on later this year.

Keep in mind that 753 are CO metal. The UA 752s are the ones with horrible legroom. I don't know what the 753s look like in the first row. I have had the first row on a 737 from EWR to SFO and it wasn't bad. Conversely, my wife and I were in 1E/F on the 752 from LAX to KOA and it really wasn't pleasant.

mnmag Sep 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 17131462)
Keep in mind that 753 are CO metal. The UA 752s are the ones with horrible legroom. I don't know what the 753s look like in the first row. I have had the first row on a 737 from EWR to SFO and it wasn't bad. Conversely, my wife and I were in 1E/F on the 752 from LAX to KOA and it really wasn't pleasant.

It looks like there is a difference b/w a UA 752 & a CO 752! I agree that being in the bulkhead, where one cannot store anything in front, -- is an issue, aside from the legroom. I generally avoid the bulkhead for that reason (when possible)!

jasonvr Sep 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mnmag (Post 17131504)
It looks like there is a difference b/w a UA 752 & a CO 752! I agree that being in the bulkhead, where one cannot store anything in front, -- is an issue, aside from the legroom. I generally avoid the bulkhead for that reason (when possible)!

The CO 752 adds a completely different dimension! Some of them seem to have standard F seats, and others have flat beds. So, among the post merger fleet, there will be 5 different variants of 757:
1) UA ps 752
2) UA standard 752
3) CO 752 standard seats
4) CO 752 flat bed seats
5) CO 753 standard seats

That ought to be fun :D

Ysitincoach Sep 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 17131607)
The CO 752 adds a completely different dimension! Some of them seem to have standard F seats, and others have flat beds. So, among the post merger fleet, there will be 5 different variants of 757:
1) UA ps 752
2) UA standard 752
3) CO 752 standard seats
4) CO 752 flat bed seats
5) CO 753 standard seats

That ought to be fun :D

3) I believe all CO 752's now have lie flats. 41 of 41 complete

dinoscool3 Sep 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach (Post 17131629)
3) I believe all CO 752's now have lie flats. 41 of 41 complete

Yep, and even before I wouldn't call them, in the OPs context, "standard seats". They were semi angled lie-flat.