FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

radonc1 Dec 25, 2021 5:44 am

Some of us are still floating around.

There was something different about CO vs UA. It is similar to the collegiality of a company made up of 10 vs one consisting of 10,000.

CO was much smaller as was the core of frequent flyers that made up that group. UA was much much bigger and probably more international as well. I also suspect that corporate culture had something to do with it as well.
The CO dos were fabulous meet and greets.

The problem with this discussion is that time pushes us forward with life events which alter us and our path in it.

I relish the memories. I just don't think that I can replicate them :(

cruisr Dec 25, 2021 9:28 am

Wow, what a flashback to great times. I loved those DOs I also loved the NYC mini dos that Scott use to fly in for. The one at Sammy’s Romanian in downtown NYC was great. The other event I loved was arranged by Tommy Danielson IIRC. It was a tour of the maintenance hanger at EWR. So much fun. Ah, the good old days.

Xyzzy Dec 26, 2021 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 33842237)
Wow, what a flashback to great times. I loved those DOs I also loved the NYC mini dos that Scott use to fly in for. The one at Sammy’s Romanian in downtown NYC was great. The other event I loved was arranged by Tommy Danielson IIRC. It was a tour of the maintenance hanger at EWR. So much fun. Ah, the good old days.

:p Hey, there stranger!

RNE Jun 19, 2022 3:54 pm

After 22 years of having OnePass/MileagePlus miles, I just burned my last mile booking a flight next year to celebrate TSMRSRNE's 50th birthday.

RNE, now loyal to none... except TSMRSRNE.

Xyzzy Jun 20, 2022 11:38 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 34350480)
After 22 years of having OnePass/MileagePlus miles, I just burned my last mile booking a flight next year to celebrate TSMRSRNE's 50th birthday.

RNE, now loyal to none... except TSMRSRNE.

C:pngratulations!

seacarl Jun 21, 2022 7:12 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 33841936)
Some of us are still floating around.

There was something different about CO vs UA. It is similar to the collegiality of a company made up of 10 vs one consisting of 10,000.

CO was much smaller as was the core of frequent flyers that made up that group. UA was much much bigger and probably more international as well. I also suspect that corporate culture had something to do with it as well.
The CO dos were fabulous meet and greets.

The problem with this discussion is that time pushes us forward with life events which alter us and our path in it.

I relish the memories. I just don't think that I can replicate them :(

Haven't seen teh box on here in so long. Is it still going on Milepoint or has that shut down?

The early events were fun, whether IAH or CO or Boeing or LH. Crawling around A380's and 787's and the big Boeing transport plane where you felt you were in a church. Dreamlifter?. The epic club crawl at IAH. Loading bags at MUC. Hard to imagine that any of that can be repeated.

UA wasn't half bad before CO bought them and CO was good on its own. I think CO changed after they bought UA and became much larger. The pain of listening to Smisek smirk as he twisted his words.

You can't go back in time. Those were the good old days.

colpuck Jun 21, 2022 7:32 am

It does exist...

seacarl Jun 21, 2022 7:33 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 34355285)
It does exist...

I shall have to try to log in. We'll see if that still works. Must be the only thing still active on Milepoint?

Or does it exist somewhere like on Telegram or Signal? When I did a search for milepoint, nothing came back. When i typed in www.milepoint.com it redirected to boardingarea

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 34355285)
It does exist...

When did you move to DFW? Seems like BOS suited you better!

Xyzzy Jun 21, 2022 8:50 am

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 34355289)
I shall have to try to log in. We'll see if that still works. Must be the only thing still active on Milepoint?

That site failed to ever do much of anything. The Penalty Box was probably the most p:)pular part of it ... and last I looked, the site itself was dead and it just redirected to Boarding Area.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 21, 2022 9:03 am

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 34355228)
…. I think CO changed after they bought UA and became much larger. The pain of listening to Smisek….

CO was already headed downhill a bit before Smisek, but the gradient increased with his arrival and then the deterioration really steepened w/ UA purchase. Recovered a bit under Munoz and now the deterioration of soft product under Kirby.

Would be interesting to create some AI algorithm that could go thought all the posts in this forum (and old CO forum) and come up with some sort of quality or satisfaction score through the years since 2000 or so for UA, CO, and UA/CO. I bet summer of 2012 would be the nadir.

seacarl Jun 21, 2022 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34355527)
That site failed to ever do much of anything. The Penalty Box was probably the most p:)pular part of it ... and last I looked, the site itself was dead and it just redirected to Boarding Area.

Agree with all of that. Total missed opportunity as FT was old static technology and ripe for being outcompeted. So where is the Box instead?

sfogate Jun 21, 2022 10:54 am

The best part of Teh Box and CO was that you always felt you were a part of something special. People treated you as a person of interest and wanted to get to know you. I never got that feeling as a United employee. I was just a file number. A file number is what United called their people's employee number. I could go on forever but I'm sure you see that United, today, is only about numbers. I will go back to my retirement. It's always good to see this thread pop up :). Safe travels everyone. I miss seeing you all around Teh Box.

seacarl Jun 21, 2022 10:54 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34355564)
CO was already headed downhill a bit before Smisek, but the gradient increased with his arrival and then the deterioration really steepened w/ UA purchase. Recovered a bit under Munoz and now the deterioration of soft product under Kirby.

Would be interesting to create some AI algorithm that could go thought all the posts in this forum (and old CO forum) and come up with some sort of quality or satisfaction score through the years since 2000 or so for UA, CO, and UA/CO. I bet summer of 2012 would be the nadir.

Unfortunately what also seems to be happening is AA & DL & AS heading downhill over time, so there isn't much competitive challenge. I will say that Polaris hard product and lounge were, originally, an improvement.

Biggest risks now are enough pilots to support domestic network and the fact that there is so much demand that they don't need to provide anything more than a seat to sell it.

Kirby is definitely a numbers guy. I feel like AS is deteriorating too.

narvik Jun 21, 2022 11:14 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34355564)
Would be interesting to create some AI algorithm that could go thought all the posts in this forum (and old CO forum) and come up with some sort of quality or satisfaction score through the years since 2000 or so for UA, CO, and UA/CO.

Don't underestimate our long-standing ability to complain even in good times!
;)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 21, 2022 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 34355961)
…. I miss seeing you all around Teh Box.

Employee participants’ posts always seem to be my favorites! Becoming a posting member of the community says something huge about that UA (or CO) worker. Passion for the work meeting the passion of the passengers - seemingly rare.

RNE Jun 21, 2022 5:13 pm

Sadly, any site without me is doomed. ;)

EmailKid Jun 21, 2022 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 34357186)
Sadly, any site without me is doomed. ;)

Wait ... what :eek:

To keep with your posting style, should that not be:

"Any site without RNE is doomed."

:idea: :p :D

colpuck Jun 22, 2022 6:17 am

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 34355963)

Please don't get me started on Mr, Core4.

When did you move to DFW? Seems like BOS suited you better!???

BOS, when did I live in BOS?

SEA-AUS-FLG-RSW-IAH-DFW-ORD-CLE has been my routing since 2009ish.

Xyzzy Jun 22, 2022 7:58 am

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 34355940)
Agree with all of that. Total missed opportunity as FT was old static technology and ripe for being outcompeted. So where is the Box instead?

Was? H:pw about still is old static technology. And FT also doesn't have the funny replacement for batmany words.

8MiHi Jun 22, 2022 11:48 am

MilePoint was wonderful for Gold and Silver Premiers. I learned a lot from Desamo, The Wandering Aramean and other members about the finer points of using the perks of mid-tier status and finding the real rules as The Contract of Carriage became required reading. While I agree that The Penalty Box was popular I didn't find it particularly useful as the discussions of import got all mixed up with socializing and lesser topics in a way that was difficult at times to follow.

Xyzzy Jun 22, 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by 8MiHi (Post 34359426)
MilePoint was wonderful for Gold and Silver Premiers. I learned a lot from Desamo, The Wandering Aramean and other members about the finer points of using the perks of mid-tier status and finding the real rules as The Contract of Carriage became required reading. While I agree that The Penalty Box was popular I didn't find it particularly useful as the discussions of import got all mixed up with socializing and lesser topics in a way that was difficult at times to follow.

You know the rule here. If you miss something y:pu're required to go back and start reading from the beginning...

nomad420 Jun 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 34355963)

AS is definitely "deteriorating" , having migrated back and forth the last probably 10 years between AS and UA and can now say I am back to predominantly using UA as my carrier. Being out of the Bay Area AS has all but given up to mostly WN. They are down to almost nothing out of OAK and service from the Bay Area into the Islands is basically nil. Very sad situation. If I was flying to SEA I might still use them. For me right now UA from the Bay Area/SFO looks pretty good. JMHO

El_Chiflero Jun 22, 2022 4:36 pm

:rolleyes:

jackal Jun 22, 2022 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34359681)
You know the rule here. If you miss something y:pu're required to go back and start reading from the beginning...

Why do you think I gave up participation?

ft4lyf Jun 23, 2022 5:01 am

Good morning Box

RNE Jun 23, 2022 8:21 am

Originally Posted by 8MiHi (Post 34359426)
The Penalty Box... I didn't find it particularly useful...

Thus the name The Penalty Box.

Xyzzy Jun 23, 2022 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 34360619)
Why do you think I gave up participation?

Well, I guess you managed to restart from the beginning just fine because y:pu are here now!

colpuck Jun 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Migraine and I have to sit here at work for two more hours.

RNE Jun 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 34362767)
Migraine and I have to sit here at work for two more hours.

Work? What's that? ;)

RNE, retired.

atword Jun 23, 2022 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 34362971)
Work? What's that? ;)

RNE, retired.

That's a good question these days!

bmwe92fan Jun 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Work? What's that? ;)

RNE, retired.

I think you mean:

RNE - WFH....

colpuck Jun 24, 2022 6:37 am

Work? What's that? ;)

RNE, retired.

The humiliating things I do for money.

DELee Oct 7, 2022 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 34662719)
What kind of pickle?

Maybe the OP's soured on the concept.

David

TomMM Oct 7, 2022 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34663465)

David

So much for sweet deals.

chavala Oct 8, 2022 11:38 am

It’s a dilly of a situation

fumje Oct 8, 2022 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerGlobal (Post 34661945)
Any explanation on how this works would be appreciated since I am stuck in a pickle.

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 34662719)
What kind of pickle?

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34663465)

David

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 34663928)
So much for sweet deals.

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 34665038)
It’s a dilly of a situation

Puns from the peanut gallery — our bread and butter.

tcdtcd Oct 8, 2022 2:12 pm

This thread discussion is not kosher. I’m gherkin my way to other threads. So long. Dill the next time.

RNE Mar 31, 2023 9:20 am

JZRO

Although I've long maintained the façade of living in Akron, Ohio, I actually live elsewhere and I recently revealed where via the airport code in my profile. Here's a snapshot I took outside my front window. ;) Obviously, the lawn needs a little work.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1e8343af64.jpg

iapetus Mar 31, 2023 10:02 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 35132851)
Although I've long maintained the façade of living in Akron, Ohio, I actually live elsewhere and I recently revealed where via the airport code in my profile. Here's a snapshot I took outside my front window. ;) Obviously, the lawn needs a little work.

Mind the occasional dust storm! I hope that you brought some very, very warm jackets ... and oxygen (lots). ;)

8MiHi Mar 31, 2023 11:09 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 35132851)

Does Uber Eats deliver in your neighborhood?