Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat
As I answered in a previous thread (which this will likely be merged), I would hold off a couple more weeks until the Mile Plus program changes are announced.

Until then, you (or I) do not have enough facts to base a decision on. Im committed to a 13K mile run this Saturday. Purchased the tickets many months ago and have other reasons I must do the flight. If I was put in the same situation today, I would not make a move until the end of the month.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
One thing to consider, aside from UDUs, is that 1Ks are extended more attention in the event of IRROPs -- which can be invaluable when there is a major issue involved!

Otherwise, that is a lot of $ to spend just for status, -- if the other perks are not valuable to you.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Is there a $ value that is generally associated with an SWU? Maybe dependent on route? For instance, if someone flies TPAC all the time, can you say that based on availability/probabilty of upgrade you'd assign a value of $1k to those SWUs? $5K? Nothing, since they're never available on Flight XXX?

That's the biggest unknown for me. I qualitatively think that it's going to be a lot better sitting in Business rather than Economy for 10+ hr. flights, and I can understand that getting put into a hotel saves a few hundred each year in case of IRROPs, but I don't know anything about SWUs.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by brianfromwa
Is there a $ value that is generally associated with an SWU?....That's the biggest unknown for me..
This is the biggest unkown to a lot of us and this is what I'm trying to explain on why you should wait a few weeks.

What was once (not too long ago) confirmable NC/NF space using a SWU is not hardly available anymore. Then on top of that, you have to pay extra $ for a W fare or higher just to take a chance of using a SWU to clear at the gate.

None of us know what the new program will do to this changing "value" of a SWU, what it will take to get a SWU, or what rules and availability will be offered with a SWU.

Bottom line, a SWU has way less value to me now then a year ago. It might (and likely) be even less of a value at the end of the month.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I am currently sitting at only 52K EQM/66 EQS for the year so I have 1P locked in. I've mapped out a strategy for 1K involving a few transcon MRs and a possible work trip to SYD in Nov but now I'm thinking it might be better just to go for the new 75K tier based on the rumored upcoming changes.

SWU's are meaningless to me...can't use 'em when I need to and 95% of my flying is domestic anyway. The new 120 segment rule really sucks IMHO.

I really enjoy UDU however and I love going to the top of the list for standby and IRROPs. The flexibility I'm awarded as a 1K is probably its greatest benefit to me.

My biggest concern about not making 1K for next year is UDU percentage will drop to pretty much zero and I'll be stuck behind all the 1Ks for standbys. I've spent the majority of my flying career as 1P so I know all too well that it really doesn't mean that much compared to being 1K. I'm wondering if the new 1P+ will be different.

Has anybody done a comparison of the new 1P+ vs. 1K for domestic segment flyers? (based on what we've heard so far, that is...).
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Continental
The rumor is that there will be a 75K 1P level in the new program.
You may want to try for that.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
For the amount of flying necessary to get 1K benefits, it's not worth it. Certainly not worth it IMO if paying out of pocket versus steering company paid travel that direction. If you already get business class travel paid than 1K is definitely not going to give you anything worth pursuing.

You get SWUs but they are spotty to clear depending on your flight route and day of the week. International I have had bad luck as I fly on Mon and Friday. UDU again totally dependant on the airports you fly into and out-of.

As a 1P you get 100% mileage bonus and baggage allowance (as I think is appropriate) and obvioulsy E+. Additional 1K perks are minimal at best. If you go on vacation and have large family you can have everyone go in E+. Big deal.

Other then SWUs (when they clear), there just is not much there IMO. People rave about the 1K line. How do you think everybody who is not a 1K manages to get anywhere? Reservations. 1K is just not that big a deal, sorry.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: their are many of them
My anwser to this is your a business traveller and doing buisness trips on UA an accumlating miles and you need to do a few extra trips to make it sure.

However if from the getgo your flying for pleasure and spending the money and more importantly the time ( in airports , and in the air) just to attain the status of being 1k its a questionable decision. In the end you put in a whole lot more than you ever get out of being 1k.

however it does have nice perks
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
89k For The Year - 1K worth a MR?

'Evening everyone!

Long time lurker, first time (well, almost) poster

I'm based out of DEN, and have a monthly BOS trip, a monthly SFO trip, and a smattering of other travel - I was originally planning on ending the year around 50-60k, but just found out work is sending me to HKG and LHR for some work-related fun. ^

Now then, with those two trips, I'm ending up at 89k for the year (note: I'm at around 50k at the moment).

The million dollar question: is it worth figuring out a MR on my personal dime / time to hit 1K? Next year will likely bring up some other international travel as part of a new position, but I'm concerned about the number of elites flying out of DEN - the waitlist is usually about 60+ people coming out of DEN/SFO/BOS, and I have read a lot of conflicting info around SWU's clearing, etc.

Personally, for all the complaining about how much "UA Sucks!" from my friends that fly WN, I have had nothing but a year of awesome flights and service since I switched in March.

So... Recommendations? 11K to go

Cheers,
Adam

Edit: I got consolidated into the big-ol-thread! Sweet

Last edited by DrDesmo; Oct 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Couple of things ...

1.) This is my first year flying United, currently 1P ... Flew WN last year, which was OK, but didn't do anything for international travel.

2.) I'll be at 89k(ish) by EoY, so it's more a question to the 1K's ^

Cheers,
Adam

Last edited by DrDesmo; Oct 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm Reason: Quote was from 2010, got mashed up when the thread merged!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Executive Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am sort of in the same boat - already 87k miles before the new 2012 MP plan announced. The added 25% mileage bonus and additional upgrade rewards from PP to 1K is worth the short MR.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I was in your same situation this time last year. (Had an unexpected SYD trip, which put me close to 1K for the first time ever, but still needed about 11k). I went for it, and I was glad I did. At the time my rationale was that I knew I would be doing at least 3 international trips the following year, plus another ~40k domestic.

I had thought that 1K would be a one-year-only thing for me, but it turns out I'll be over 100k on booked travel alone this year. Thus, it turned out even better than expected as I got more use out of the extra benefits (namely upgrade priority) than I expected to.

Now next year, 1K UDUs won't be quite the same slam-dunk they are today (as Silvers on government/corporate Y-fares will be trumping 1Ks), but you will still get some CR1s and some SWUs out of it, 25% extra mileage, and still certainly better upgrade priority than you would get as a Platinum. Bottom line, if you are reasonably sure you will fly enough both domestic and international next year to make use of it, I'd say go for it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by smashr
Now next year, 1K UDUs won't be quite the same slam-dunk they are today (as Silvers on government/corporate Y-fares will be trumping 1Ks),
I think your overview is excellent - Thanks!

However, I believe that your statement that I have quoted exaggerates the impact of the new Y/B/M auto upgrades for all elites.

We'll see...

Last edited by LarkSFO; Oct 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Question advice on whether to continue 1K

I have been 1k for perhaps 10 years now, but I'm about 30k short this year. In the past I might have gone for an LAX-SIN trip, but that won't even do it. My big issue is my opinion that 1k isn't what it used to be. The 6 SWUs used to be well worth mileage runs. Now, however, I must pay at least $500-1000 more/rt to be eligible for upgrades, with no assurance of getting it. I used to swap my CR1s for extra SWUs, as I only do Int'l trips; now I am sitting on 5 SWUs and don't know what I would want to trade in a swap.

I don't see much benefit to 1k for me vs. the new 75k or even 1P level. Am I missing some benefit worth spending another $1000 or more to make 1k?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by foothill
I have been 1k for perhaps 10 years now, but I'm about 30k short this year. In the past I might have gone for an LAX-SIN trip, but that won't even do it. My big issue is my opinion that 1k isn't what it used to be. The 6 SWUs used to be well worth mileage runs. Now, however, I must pay at least $500-1000 more/rt to be eligible for upgrades, with no assurance of getting it. I used to swap my CR1s for extra SWUs, as I only do Int'l trips; now I am sitting on 5 SWUs and don't know what I would want to trade in a swap.

I don't see much benefit to 1k for me vs. the new 75k or even 1P level. Am I missing some benefit worth spending another $1000 or more to make 1k?
Search is always your friend for this well-discussed topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-11-posts.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.