Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Checking in and departing from IAH:

Terminal C has the most reliably open Precheck and Premier Access security lanes. Consider checking in and clearing security in at Terminal C even if departing from another terminal.

There are no UA check-in counters in Terminal A, even though UA has a few flights that depart from Terminal A. Check in at Terminal B or C.

There is an underground, somewhat slow landside tram system (the Subway) that runs between the basement level of all terminals (plus the on-site Marriott hotel) outside of security. (The Subway was built by Disney and modeled after their PeopleMover ride. It's worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.)

Recommended practices for transiting IAH:

IAH is a huge airport, but all terminals are very conveniently connected by a very frequent, fast airside tram system (the Skyway) inside security. You can pretty much get from any point in the airport to any other point in the airport within about 15 minutes (with a combination of Skyway and a brisk walk) without reclearing security. UA publishes as low as a 35-minute minimum connect time (MCT) at IAH, and while you shouldn't dilly-dally, this is doable on a typical domestic-domestic connection. (It helps if your inbound is not delayed and you're seated towards the front of the plane, of course; your departure flight will be almost fully boarded by the time you get there, but you'll make it.)

Note that the higher-numbered C gates (C29-C45, aka "C South") are directly connected to the E terminal by a walkway. It is usually faster to walk from C South to E (especially the low E gates) than it is to take the train. Similarly, C North (C14-C27) are directly connected to the D terminal, though the Skyway is not really out of the way and is useful if going from a low C gate to a high D gate (C24 to D10, for example). Terminal A and Terminal B are not connected by any walkways, and you must use the Skyway to change to or from these terminals.

For international arrivals: after clearing customs, stay to the left of the baggage re-check belts and follow signs to exit to arrivals (like you're going to curbside). Once in the arrivals lobby, take the elevator or escalator up one floor to find a PreCheck checkpoint and a usually-less-crowded regular checkpoint. If you ignore this advice and proceed up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area, the transit security checkpoint there is often congested and does not have a separate PreCheck checkpoint.

While perhaps not usually recommended, in a pinch, with Global Entry, no checked bags, and PreCheck, it is possible to make a one-hour (or even slightly less) connection by following the above instructions specifically (on a good day, it can take less than 30 minutes from flight arrival to sitting in the Terminal E United Club, as one member reported in the thread). Without Global Entry and with checked luggage (which must be retrieved to go through customs and dropped back off after clearing customs), especially if you are a foreign resident, expect the immigration and customs process to take longer, so allow enough time accordingly. For UA-UA international-international connections (ITI), there is a special immigration line that usually moves pretty quickly, and your baggage will be checked through and does not need to be retrieved to go through customs. No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Again, do not follow signs for international connections up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area; exit to the arrivals waiting area and re-enter one floor above through normal airport security. A map follows for visual learners:

Terminal E arrivals level / departures level:

The marked elevator will spit you out literally directly in front of the PreCheck checkpoint.

Standard UA-UA MCT table for IAH:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at IAH
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline UA

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
There are lots of exceptions, though, and some specific flights have as low as a 35-minute MCT, which is doable as mentioned above. IAH is a very efficiently designed airport, and you should not worry about what appears to be an abnormally low connection time; if UA says your connection is valid, it is almost certainly doable within the allotted time (notwithstanding delays, of course, and standard advice regarding allowing longer connections for mission-critical travel or travel on separate tickets still stands).

Airport map, courtesy of United Airlines:
Map displays Star Alliance partners only; most non-Star Alliance airlines have domestic operations in Terminal A or international operations in Terminal D

Archive posts - Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA
I went C1 to E17 on Saturday with a 0:58 connection. Was in the front row of Y on a 737. Took the train, walked briskly, got to E17 in the middle of Group 1 boarding for an intl flight.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I've done the opposite before, E to C North with a 36 minute connection to the last IAH-LGA of the day. Inbound flight arrived 15 minutes early and made it with plenty of time to spare.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: UA MM
I've yet to see these doom and gloom scenarios around T-15 play out. Just last week I was on a flight leaving DEN where the last passenger on was at T+2. They knew she was coming off a late inbound and we waited until she was on board before closing the door.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Continental
I'm hoping for an early arrival into IAH.
I don't go through there often so I'm not that familiar.
I did not realize there is a train between C and E.
Do I have to go to an upper level to catch it?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've yet to see these doom and gloom scenarios around T-15 play out. Just last week I was on a flight leaving DEN where the last passenger on was at T+2. They knew she was coming off a late inbound and we waited until she was on board before closing the door.
UA will sometimes hold a flight, but you can't count on them doing so, and you have no recourse if they don't. And they definitely aren't going to hold a first class seat -- they will absolutely have upgraded someone into OP's seat at T-15 (assuming the outbound is departing on-time). I see that all the time; I've actually gotten someone's F seat when they arrived at about T-12 and I'd already been upgraded into it. They do happen.

And, as mentioned, they will offload passengers, if necessary, to avoid paying VDB -- although I did have one wonderful gate agent at DEN have me wait until the last possible moment to board as the #1 volunteer while they waited for a late connecting family. His rationale was, "I'd rather have a volunteer spend the night in Denver than have someone forced to do it." The family didn't make it -- we assumed they gave up when they saw how late their flight had arrived -- but it was a great gesture.

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Yes. The train is upstairs, airside, and runs every few minutes. There is a single, consolidated stop for D/E that arrives fairly close to E15.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Yes, the skytrain is one level above the gates on the north side.

Originally Posted by hockey7711
I'm hoping for an early arrival into IAH.
I don't go through there often so I'm not that familiar.
I did not realize there is a train between C and E.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:44 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI

Yes, the skytrain is one level above the gates on the north side.
A couple of things .... or three.

First off, minor point, but Boening does not make 787-900, they make 787-9.

It's called SkyWay to distinguish between original below SubWay that is outside of security. Fun ride IF you find yourself outside of security.

And yes, there is the SkyWay between E and C, but while I don't have gates memorized, it can be much faster to walk between E and C depending on gates. Suggest looking at the UA magazine or App while in flight to locate best plan @:-)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Continental
Of course

789, a typo on my part. Too early in the morning.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Just got into IAH from PTY (UA into E). Going onto YYZ with AC. So I just headed upstairs to United connecting flights after getting through customs. There was no-one checking boarding passes or ID at all, so I walked off the plane in IAH, thru immigration & customs to "landside" and went back airside proper without showing any onward boarding pass. Surprising tbh

The last time I connected thru IAH was ~2 years ago, and you definitely had to show ID & boarding pass to TSA at the top of the escalators to TSA before being permitted into the security scan
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:54 pm

How and how much time is needed to move from Terminal A gate 2 to Terminal C gate 43? It was originally 1 hr connection time but due to united flight delays now it is only 40 minutes. Are they all on the air side so we dont need to go through security again? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
All airside. You should make it if you hustle.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:23 pm

What does airside mean?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uvasag
What does airside mean?
Airside = after security.
Land side = before security.
uvasag likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
All airside. You should make it if you hustle.
made it. Thank you!
Air Houston and joe_miami like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
I need some help in deciding to keep the following flight or try to change it.

Coming from AMS - IAH and connecting to EWR approximately 90 minutes later. I have global entry (but will be carrying a luggage) and sitting in business class. Would 90 minutes be enough to clear GE/Pickup luggage/clear customs/Recheck bags and make it to EWR bound flight in 90 minutes (mostly likely from Term C but it can be Term E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.