Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by EmailKid
The way I count it, 30-40 minutes to get to the plane and clearing security, so about an hour to clear Immigration (and Customs). Should be enough time even during busy times, though the current partial US Gov't shutdown impact is unknown (but probably none, since these are "essential" employees).

Four hours at IAH is a LOT of time, and there's not much to do outside. Is there another flight to ONT in case you don't make the shorter connection?
That's the only one that ONT has. Then, I came across SNA and thought perfect timing since its going to be after labor day and most people will be back to work or school. No long lines at CBP though, reading how complicated it could be that's why I asking for some advice. Also, we're checking in luggage, are we going to be rechecking them in or is it still true that the CBP officer just shows you a photo of the luggage and after verification we move our merry way to our connecting flight?

I'm doing this since I'm not wanting to fly back to LAX

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2018 at 11:40 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:44 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 26volt
That's the only one that ONT has. Then, I came across SNA and thought perfect timing since its going to be after labor day and most people will be back to work or school. No long lines at CBP though, reading how complicated it could be that's why I asking for some advice. Also, we're checking in luggage, are we going to be rechecking them in or is it still true that the CBP officer just shows you a photo of the luggage and after verification we move our merry way to our connecting flight?

I'm doing this since I'm not wanting to fly back to LAX .
IAH is part of the trial of through baggage, so you *could* not have to pick it up as US citizen (I'm sure someone will jump in if that has changed).

However, since US is your final destination, it may not apply, but you do not have to *re-check*, only drop it off on the belt after customs. Of course waiting for luggage will probably slow you down. Or not, some gates are a looong way from the gate, and I've seen people have their luggage on carousel when they arrive there after Immigration (do not check luggage myself).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2018 at 11:41 am Reason: split post; Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
IAH is part of the trial of through baggage, so you *could* not have to pick it up as US citizen (I'm sure someone will jump in if that has changed).

However, since US is your final destination, it may not apply, but you do not have to *re-check*, only drop it off on the belt after customs. Of course waiting for luggage will probably slow you down. Or not, some gates are a looong way from the gate, and I've seen people have their luggage on carousel when they arrive there after Immigration (do not check luggage myself).
That's what I noticed last year when I went through CBP at LAX. We took a good while at Customs though after we got checked out, our baggage was still there waiting for us. So, the luggage got there first, before us.

Well let's see what happens. I hope also someone else reponds to this question. Though, we still have time to decide to either land at ONT or SNA for our final destination...I live 15 mins from ONT and 25min from SNA. And 1:30hr from LAX and that's a good day without traffic.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Right now I'm looking to booking one of these two itineraries, though wanted some feedback since It will be the first time I'll be in IAH and connecting there. I'm a us citizen though not a member of the global entry program though my mother who will be joining me has TSA PreCheck. Our final destination is SAL and our outbound leaves us enough time to explore the terminals or eat at the restaurants. Though our inbound flight has us thinking which one to go with and what's the CBP process at IAH.

here's our inbound itineraries were choosing from. Both flights are on United.

Itinerary 1
Sat Sept 7
SAL - IAH 12:34p-4:38p
1hr 42min layover
IAH-SNA 6:20p-7:57p

Itinerary 2,
Sat Sept 7
SAL-IAH 12:34p-4:38p
4hr52min layover
IAH-ONT 9:30p-11:15p

Any feedback will be welcomed.
Here's a potentially useful website which can give you an estimate of CBP wait times.

https://awt.cbp.gov/

If you go by the average for your arrival time at IAH, I think you'd find you have plenty of time to make the SNA connection. Of course on any given day things can go sideways.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Well let's see what happens. I hope also someone else reponds to this question. Though, we still have time to decide to either land at ONT or SNA for our final destination...I live 15 mins from ONT and 25min from SNA. And 1:30hr from LAX and that's a good day without traffic.
Your option #1 should allow plenty of time to clear customs and immigration at IAH and make it to your next flight, probably with enough time for a quick stop at a restaurant as well.

I've connected through IAH at least a dozen times in the past two years and have always had to claim my bag and then drop it off about 50-100 yards away, just past the customs exit. I believe the trial program mentioned earlier is only for international-to-international flights.

Note that people with TSA PRE should simply drop off their bag and then continue out the exit on the left and then up the escalator to the TSA PRE checkpoint one level above. There's no TSA PRE for connecting passengers who continue through security at the baggage drop. If only one of you has TSA PRE, you'll have to decide whether you want to split up temporarily.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Here's a potentially useful website which can give you an estimate of CBP wait times.

https://awt.cbp.gov/

If you go by the average for your arrival time at IAH, I think you'd find you have plenty of time to make the SNA connection. Of course on any given day things can go sideways.
I'm looking at the AVG times for the non holidays and they look rather promising actually. Since I'm planning to come back to the States after the labor day weekend. Perhaps we might book the SNA connection. Thanks for posting the link.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Your option #1 should allow plenty of time to clear customs and immigration at IAH and make it to your next flight, probably with enough time for a quick stop at a restaurant as well.

I've connected through IAH at least a dozen times in the past two years and have always had to claim my bag and then drop it off about 100 yards away, just past the customs exit. I believe the trial program mentioned earlier is only for international-to-international flights.
Looking at the CBP link and the wait times, seems you're right. We might get a quick pit stop and get some food before taking our flight to SNA.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the drop off. If its just there, its going to be breeze unless something goes bonkers in SAL, and our flight is delayed. Though, from what I've seen on FlightRadar24, that flight has a reputation of being on time.

Last edited by 26volt; Dec 30, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:34 am
Suspended

Thanks for the heads up regarding the drop off. If its just there, its going to be breeze unless something goes bonkers in SAL, and our flight is delayed. Though, from what I've seen on FlightRadar24, that flight has a reputation of being on time.
No problem. I added a note about TSA PRE, in case you didn't see it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Note that people with TSA PRE should simply drop off their bag and then continue out the exit on the left and then up the escalator to the TSA PRE checkpoint one level above. There's no TSA PRE for connecting passengers who continue through security at the baggage drop. If only one of you has TSA PRE, you'll have to decide whether you want to split up temporarily.
I noticed one time when my mother booked our itinerary her TSA PRE benefit passed on to me, and both of us went through it pretty fast, though when I purchased my own ticket, TSA PRE didn't show up, and she breezed through and I was stuck on the regular lines. Perhaps, I might have her book the flight then.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:39 am
Suspended

I noticed one time when my mother booked our itinerary her TSA PRE benefit passed on to me, and both of us went through it pretty fast, though when I purchased my own ticket, TSA PRE didn't show up, and she breezed through and I was stuck on the regular lines. Perhaps, I might have her book the flight then.
I have TSA PRE through Global Entry and always book my own tickets, so I can't help there.

The people at the baggage drop at IAH sometimes make up rules and claim connecting passengers must continue through the connecting security, but I've always talked my way out of it by mentioning TSA PRE or saying I have a long layover and I'm leaving the airport for a while. Worst case, just skip the baggage drop and leave your bags at the United baggage/customer service counter located just past the baggage drop.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:43 am

I have TSA PRE through Global Entry and always book my own tickets, so I can't help there.

The people at the baggage drop at IAH sometimes make up rules and claim connecting passengers must continue through the connecting security, but I've always talked my way out of it by mentioning TSA PRE or saying I have a long layover and I'm leaving the airport for a while. Worst case, just skip the baggage drop and leave your bags at the United baggage/customer service counter located just past the baggage drop.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2024 at 12:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.