Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Checking in and departing from IAH:

Terminal C has the most reliably open Precheck and Premier Access security lanes. Consider checking in and clearing security in at Terminal C even if departing from another terminal.

There are no UA check-in counters in Terminal A, even though UA has a few flights that depart from Terminal A. Check in at Terminal B or C.

There is an underground, somewhat slow landside tram system (the Subway) that runs between the basement level of all terminals (plus the on-site Marriott hotel) outside of security. (The Subway was built by Disney and modeled after their PeopleMover ride. It's worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.)

Recommended practices for transiting IAH:

IAH is a huge airport, but all terminals are very conveniently connected by a very frequent, fast airside tram system (the Skyway) inside security. You can pretty much get from any point in the airport to any other point in the airport within about 15 minutes (with a combination of Skyway and a brisk walk) without reclearing security. UA publishes as low as a 35-minute minimum connect time (MCT) at IAH, and while you shouldn't dilly-dally, this is doable on a typical domestic-domestic connection. (It helps if your inbound is not delayed and you're seated towards the front of the plane, of course; your departure flight will be almost fully boarded by the time you get there, but you'll make it.)

Note that the higher-numbered C gates (C29-C45, aka "C South") are directly connected to the E terminal by a walkway. It is usually faster to walk from C South to E (especially the low E gates) than it is to take the train. Similarly, C North (C14-C27) are directly connected to the D terminal, though the Skyway is not really out of the way and is useful if going from a low C gate to a high D gate (C24 to D10, for example). Terminal A and Terminal B are not connected by any walkways, and you must use the Skyway to change to or from these terminals.

For international arrivals: after clearing customs, stay to the left of the baggage re-check belts and follow signs to exit to arrivals (like you're going to curbside). Once in the arrivals lobby, take the elevator or escalator up one floor to find a PreCheck checkpoint and a usually-less-crowded regular checkpoint. If you ignore this advice and proceed up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area, the transit security checkpoint there is often congested and does not have a separate PreCheck checkpoint.

While perhaps not usually recommended, in a pinch, with Global Entry, no checked bags, and PreCheck, it is possible to make a one-hour (or even slightly less) connection by following the above instructions specifically (on a good day, it can take less than 30 minutes from flight arrival to sitting in the Terminal E United Club, as one member reported in the thread). Without Global Entry and with checked luggage (which must be retrieved to go through customs and dropped back off after clearing customs), especially if you are a foreign resident, expect the immigration and customs process to take longer, so allow enough time accordingly. For UA-UA international-international connections (ITI), there is a special immigration line that usually moves pretty quickly, and your baggage will be checked through and does not need to be retrieved to go through customs. No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Again, do not follow signs for international connections up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area; exit to the arrivals waiting area and re-enter one floor above through normal airport security. A map follows for visual learners:

Terminal E arrivals level / departures level:

The marked elevator will spit you out literally directly in front of the PreCheck checkpoint.

Standard UA-UA MCT table for IAH:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at IAH
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline UA

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
There are lots of exceptions, though, and some specific flights have as low as a 35-minute MCT, which is doable as mentioned above. IAH is a very efficiently designed airport, and you should not worry about what appears to be an abnormally low connection time; if UA says your connection is valid, it is almost certainly doable within the allotted time (notwithstanding delays, of course, and standard advice regarding allowing longer connections for mission-critical travel or travel on separate tickets still stands).

Airport map, courtesy of United Airlines:
Map displays Star Alliance partners only; most non-Star Alliance airlines have domestic operations in Terminal A or international operations in Terminal D

Archive posts - Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
till I saw the blocked off passage Really hope they keep that connector tunnel post construction
Looks like it:

A colleague affiliated with the expansion said traffic and disruptions there are going to get worse.

One can see updates and progress on the Houston City Council website.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by YadiMolina; Feb 19, 2024 at 6:39 pm Reason: new info
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: LH
EU->MEX connection 1h54m doable?

Hello everyone.
UA has cancelled my original routing and my option now is MUC-IAH-QRO. Both flights are with UA but connection time in IAH is only 1h54m. Is this doable connection time for non-US citizen, no global entry, that barely speaks english?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:47 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by shady
Hello everyone.
UA has cancelled my original routing and my option now is MUC-IAH-QRO. Both flights are with UA but connection time in IAH is only 1h54m. Is this doable connection time for non-US citizen, no global entry, that barely speaks english?
You should have enough time. Use the CBP Mobile Passport Control app on your phone. Luggage will be checked straight to QRO and you wont have to claim it at IAH for customs.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
You should have enough time. Use the CBP Mobile Passport Control app on your phone. Luggage will be checked straight to QRO and you wont have to claim it at IAH for customs.
Thanks! I will check the app. When I use the app, does one still go to a manned desk or use a kiosk? Travellers barely speak English so I prefer a manned desk, where they can give agent a written letter, summarizing their intent of entry to US.
i did not realize luggage does not need to be collected in IAH. That helps a lot.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:15 am

Thanks! I will check the app. When I use the app, does one still go to a manned desk or use a kiosk? Travellers barely speak English so I prefer a manned desk, where they can give agent a written letter, summarizing their intent of entry to US.
i did not realize luggage does not need to be collected in IAH. That helps a lot.
I have Global Entry so havent used the MPC process. What is the native language of the traveler(s)?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Hello everyone.
That sounds like a popular auto route.

It would be plenty of time in most circumstances. Immigration and security lines can be quite long at the time of the MUC arrival (peak time).
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:39 am

It looks like MPC now supports French and Spanish in addition to English (obviously).

Maybe someone quite familiar with IAH immigration can comment on whether they have a dedicated MPC queue.

OP: Are the travelers from a Visa Waiver country? I think thats a requirement to use MPC.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Mar 19, 2024 at 5:44 am
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It looks like MPC now supports French and Spanish in addition to English (obviously).

Maybe someone quite familiar with IAH immigration can comment on whether they have a dedicated MPC queue.

OP: Are the travelers from a Visa Waiver country? I think that’s a requirement to use MPC.
Yes, they are travelling on ESTA.

Edit: seems only returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA are egible.

Last edited by shady; Mar 19, 2024 at 6:08 am Reason: added MCP info
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:36 am

Yes, they are travelling on ESTA.

Edit: seems only returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA are egible.
I don't know what CBP means with that wording. I suppose it could mean you can't use MPC for the first time you enter the USA but that's just a wild guess.

To answer your previous question about kiosk vs officer --
Think of it as "both". Your phone acts as the kiosk but then you bring it to an immigration officer.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:40 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Hello everyone.
If everything is on time they should be fine but will not have a lot of free time most likely. As others noted bags check through int'l-to-int'l at IAH on UA so you just go down stairs walk past baggage claim and exit customs to the security recheck area for TSA.

If you get lucky and QRO leaves from E it is right there or you can skytram it over to C in 5 minutes or walk in 15 presuming a normal walking speed and no injuries, wheelchair and such.

QRO is normally mainline so terminal B is not going to be used.

Vivaaerobus also flies IAH to QRO on some days so just make sure the traveller is not looking only at the city on the departure board but the airline, time, and flight number. Most US boards go by city alphabetical whereas in Europe it is usually by time.

If the traveller speaks German there are several CBP staff that do at IAH.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:34 am

IAH to QRO

[f you get lucky and QRO leaves from E it is right there or you can skytram it over to C in 5 minutes or walk in 15 presuming a normal walking speed and no injuries, wheelchair and such.]

UA QRO flights are scattered all over C, E, and occasionally D. E and D are easy.
I think high number C gates are more quickly accessed by walking from the arrival hall. Low number by Skytram.

Skytrams run every few minutes but have are extremely crowded these days. With road construction on the airport, and Terminal E checkin shut down, many people are arriving and going through security at A or B, then tramming to C/E gates.

Hopefully, the travelers will be sitting near front of plane and can walk well. If the arriving plane is on time, they should be okay.

They should keep in mind that the 1:54 connecting time is actually considerably shorter than that. It can take ten minutes or more to get off the arrival plane. And the gates for the departure will close at least ten minutes before pushback. So, consider it about 90 minutes.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:35 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
[[color=#333333]f you get lucky and QRO leaves from E it is right there or you can skytram it over to C in 5 minutes or walk in 15 presuming a normal walking speed and no injuries, wheelchair and such.]

UA QRO flights are scattered all over C, E, and occasionally D. E and D are easy.
I think high number C gates are more quickly accessed by walking from the arrival hall. Low number by Skytram.

Skytrams run every few minutes but have are extremely crowded these days. With road construction on the airport, and Terminal E checkin shut down, many people are arriving and going through security at A or B, then tramming to C/E gates.

Hopefully, the travelers will be sitting near front of plane and can walk well. If the arriving plane is on time, they should be okay.

They should keep in mind that the 1:54 connecting time is actually considerably shorter than that. It can take ten minutes or more to get off the arrival plane. And the gates for the departure will close at least ten minutes before pushback. So, consider it about 90 minutes.
It depends on how fast one walks, type of carry-on, physical ability, etc. but if C north, the skytram is slightly faster these days, especially as construction has moving walkways in D shutdown still and some gone(as of yesterday), crowding notwithstanding.

The biggest limfac is the TSA line at the post customs, non-public checkpoint D/E checkpoint.

Normally ESTA holders get through CBP fairly quickly these days, but of course, there are always one-offs one cannot prepare for. That said, if everything is on time, there should not be any issues.

Worst case, since MUC arrives only in time for the last QRO flight of the day, they rebook on one of the two early flights the next day. Always have a back-up plan, but that timing should work.

If the inbound flight from MUC is delayed more than 30 minutes, the chances of making it to an on-time departure for QRO decrease very significantly for non-GE users.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.