Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BWI Airspace Lounge (Former RCC Location in Concourse D)- CLOSING May 27 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWI Airspace Lounge (Former RCC Location in Concourse D)- CLOSING May 27 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:18 am

My guess is that either Airspace has not reached out to the airlines in D concourse (which is really stupid if they have not) or that they did reach out to the airlines and the airlines balked (at either the price per entry or they [the airlines] simply did not want to offer lounge access at BWI since they closed lounges there).

I was under the impression that BWI is considered a low cost airport (due to WN) and thus the legacy carriers want to extract every last penny from BWI since fares are lower there in general. A lounge costs money and if getting every last penny from BWI fares is the name of the game than paying per use for lounge access is not going to sell real well with the legacy carriers.

Dan

Originally Posted by cova
CO used to have an arrangement with the old contract lounge "BWI Friendship Lounge". Problem was it was outside security - and after 9/11 - it shutdown.
I remember the Friendship Lounge at BWI and it served its purpose but as you said was outside of security and closed shortly after Nine-Eleven.

Was nice of CO to offer a lounge to its PClub members at an airport where it really did not have tons of life.

Dan

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dan1431
My guess is that either Airspace has not reached out to the airlines in D concourse (which is really stupid if they have not) or that they did reach out to the airlines and the airlines balked (at either the price per entry or they [the airlines] simply did not want to offer lounge access at BWI since they closed lounges there).
CO/UA got rid of AmEx and Priority Pass. If Airspace lounges are successful - which I think they will have a chance with AmEx/Priority Pass entrance - they could be competition for the regular airline lounges.

Time will tell - but Airspace will need to have major expansion if this is to be the case. For now it is a niche location at BWI - catering to UA/CO and AirTran.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I was under the impression that BWI is considered a low cost airport (due to WN) and thus the legacy carriers want to extract every last penny from BWI since fares are lower there in general. A lounge costs money and if getting every last penny from BWI fares is the name of the game than paying per use for lounge access is not going to sell real well with the legacy carriers.
I wouldn't say BWI is a low fare airport. Arguably the smallest of the 3 for UA/CO/US but given the amount of government fares that fly out of there, especially on UA, I think low fare is a stretch. There's a sizeable federal installation near BWI and going to IAD or DCA from there isn't the best option with respect to time. WN isn't all that cheap anymore either with BWI being a captive market.

The RCC closed before the tie up with CO. I think with a combined *A lounge between UA/CO and US, there could have been enough to justify a smaller lounge ... CO may have been able to tip the scales toward feasibility had it been in the mix then.

Maybe you're right that there was a pricing issue with the airlines. Still, though, I don't think you're going to get a lot of people with RCC/PC/US memberships in there after already paying several hundred for it, unless they have an AmEx plat. The current set up is a lose/lose for the airlines, lounge, and pax.

I might use it for a discount with my RCC membership, but close to $20 after tax isn't worth it to me when I can just get there an hour before my flight and forget the lounge and lack of RCC.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:48 pm

There are a few sizable Gov't installations around BWI (I had forgotten about that) and one of their larger contractors has offices literally behind the airport (but as I understand it they try and use WN when possible).

Dan
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
There are a few sizable Gov't installations around BWI (I had forgotten about that) and one of their larger contractors has offices literally behind the airport (but as I understand it they try and use WN when possible).

Dan
Contractors have different rules. Some may prefer WN. Companies I worked for just wanted a reasonable fare (and I booked UA/US depending on destination) for the circumstances. Govies are locked in by the GSA contract unless there's an overriding reason (mission critical, need to be there ASAP, etc) that the contracted carrier can't be used. Out of BWI, GSA pairs look to be fairly well spread around. There are several large contractors, and a ton of smaller ones (though they keep getting gobbled up).

At least in my experience, legacies are competitive with WN out of BWI. I have yet to find a recent fare I've looked for that wasn't at least as much, if not more, than what UA or CO was offering.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
McDonalds has some value meals that are $7+. If you get a sandwich, coke and bag of chips at the concourse D food court you're out $10-$12 or more.

A lounge for a few dollars more than a food court sandwich...with the lounge price including a sandwich/salad/hot breakfast (according to the post above)/internet/unlimited Peet's coffee/etc. seems like a no-brainer...and at a price that is easily expense-able to the company.

Of course if you get in via amex (as I do) this sort of things helps make a better case to fly into BWI vs DCA/IAD. I get an amenity kit (do they have them yet?), a to-go sandwich and to-go coffee upon arrival and also the lounge at departure? Sign me up.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

But most contractors with international business have corp contracts with UA and the majors - and WN is excluded, since they do not fly internationally.

Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:29 am
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

Lightbulb Discount for Red Carpet Club and Presidents Club (aka United Club) members

Originally Posted by Superguy
I might use it for a discount with my RCC membership
For a limited time:

...present your valid Red Carpet Club or President's Club card (or other airline lounge club card) at the door and receive entry with all amenities for $14.50.

http://www.facebook.com/AirspaceLoun...50205728029536

I hear from the team at BWI that they had an extremely busy day yesterday; not only with the thunderstorms in the PM, but from 5am straight through our late closing. That's great news and we're pleased. Perhaps it has something to do with all of the additional signs that went up on the concourse on Wednesday night. In any event, thanks to all of you for your patronage.

AonFT
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Mary Lou, yes. Funny that I used to call her Mary Ann
to her face, and she would gently correct me each time.

AirspaceOnFT, are you the genial young fellow who
laughed (gently) at me for sleeping through my flight
announcement and having to return to the lounge?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, United 1k, Hilton Gold, Budget Slowbreak. Hertz 5 Star
BWI Airspace Lounge

At Airspace lounge now before a DEN United flight. 7 people at 7am. Nice to have a clean place to sit when you are used to the RCC dirty chairs. Clean remodeled bathroom from old RCC.

But not much in the way of amenities. Coffee and tea are self serve, but soft drinks require a bartender. Only check in staff on duty so I guess he has to come down the ramp (entry door is where the RCC bar used to be) to serve customers. No television or newspapers. Chairs have half of a back, so not that comfortable to sit for an extended period of time.

Food menu lists 4 breakfast choices, and 6 sandwiches/salads but has prices on each. Signs in the hallways say complimentary, so I guess the prices are if you are having more than one? As I think has been noted previously, alcohol is a charge. Good wi-fi.

Second staff member now here, so must come on at 7am.

Wish them well and will be interesting to see their next locations, but can't see this place getting a lot of traction unless they cut a better deal with United as it is a pretty good hike from the USAir gates. Not guessing the Airtran folks will come down here and pay money for this type of service.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:39 am

This has been my point from day 1 unless Airspace makes a deal with the airlines I do not see it working in the long run.

Dan
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:47 am

This has been my point from day 1 unless Airspace makes a deal with the airlines I do not see it working in the long run.

Dan
The price is $17.50 Dan. $14.50 for RCC members (for a while anyway).

Including food and wifi.

They'll have plenty of takers at that price.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
The price is $17.50 Dan. $14.50 for RCC members (for a while anyway).

Including food and wifi.

They'll have plenty of takers at that price.
I have spoken with a few of my colleagues who use BWI fairly regularly and none of us feel that $14.50 is that much of a discount to get me to cough up cash that I already pay the airline each year.

If it was $10.00 with an airline membership card, I would be inclined but honestly I can sit at the Gate for $14.50.

Dan
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:09 pm

I have spoken with a few of my colleagues who use BWI fairly regularly and none of us feel that $14.50 is that much of a discount to get me to cough up cash that I already pay the airline each year.

If it was $10.00 with an airline membership card, I would be inclined but honestly I can sit at the Gate for $14.50.

Dan
Tell them to enjoy their bud light and an awful crabcake sandwich at that restaurant next door for $20+ or the food court for around $10 (for pete's sake!).

Now...if you werent going to purchase anything at all at the airport...then of course you'd make a decision to enter or not based on a few factors. In any scenario where you were actually going to purchase something at BWI, I cant see how you wouldnt think that's a great deal for that price; unless you really like McDonalds or you enjoy pulsating music while you try to talk on your cell phone at that restaurant next door.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Jun 24, 2011 at 3:43 am
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:23 pm

Yeah the food at BWI does leave a lot to be desired and I do agree that if you are going to eat food and have a drink than you do make out with the discounted price.

I tend to look at food and drink as a different expenditure than lounge access (but I do see your point).

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.