Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BWI Airspace Lounge (Former RCC Location in Concourse D)- CLOSING May 27 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWI Airspace Lounge (Former RCC Location in Concourse D)- CLOSING May 27 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
It's also significantly cheaper than a day pass at RCC or PC, even with the online discounts UA offers.

I usually don't have much time to kill at BWI as I can usually run the security gauntlet pretty quickly. That said, a decent sandwich and soda will run you at least $10 so throw in free WiFi, power, and a nicer place so sit and it might be worth it. Don't know that it would be worth more than $17.50 though.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Aero Lounge taking over RCC location at BWI

When I passed by the old RCC at BWI there was a sign for a liquor license application by a business called Aero Lounge. Not sure whether this is a contract lounge or simply a bar business at the airport.

I know many of us had hoped that the RCC would reopen with the combination of UA/CO.

While UA and CO together occupy 6 gates at BWI, CO has reduced its service. I guess main airlines cannot compete with WN and their free luggage for the Kettles.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cova
I guess main airlines cannot compete with WN and their free luggage for the Kettles.
It is more like UA/CO operation concentrate on IAD and DCA more than BWI, UA/CO can care less to compete with or acknowleage the presense of WN.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
It is more like UA/CO operation concentrate on IAD and DCA more than BWI, UA/CO can care less to compete with or acknowleage the presense of WN.
But Baltimore is a separate city and larger than some cities where UA/CO have lounges. Most people who live in the area north of the DC beltway fly out of BWI. Traffic is too bad that BWI appeals to people in the northern area, IAD to people in the western suburbs, and DCA to people inside the Beltway.

Most from DC area only go up to BWI when the fares are significantly cheaper. WN is at IAD also and planning DCA eventually.

UA does nonstop transcons from BWI-SFO, so BWI is more than a little outpost.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:59 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
UA does nonstop transcons from BWI-SFO, so BWI is more than a little outpost.
...as well as LAX.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:07 am

On principle, I am not going to pay $17.50 to access an independent Lounge. I hope this venture fails.

This new for pay lounge is really only convenient for CO/UA flyers and I hope club members refuse to use.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:03 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
The problem I have with this lounge, as if it really matters , is the floating price dependent upon how many people are already in the lounge. I go there one day and pay $17.50. A week later I'm told today it is $45.

Now I'm no marketing genius but that just doesn't make sense to me. However, they are trying something new so there may just be a market for this kind of lounge.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
This new for pay lounge is really only convenient for CO/UA flyers and I hope club members refuse to use.
I disagree. FL has a sizable presence in D as it's becoming a secondary hub. It also has no club system like US and UA/CO so there's at least a shot of making some money that otherwise would go untapped from those pax. US also has sizable presence there.

I think a *A lounge would be a much better option there. However, since the RCC pulled out, there's been nothing the last couple years. At least there's an option for people to try if they want an alternative to sitting in BWI's boring gate areas.

But Baltimore is a separate city and larger than some cities where UA/CO have lounges. Most people who live in the area north of the DC beltway fly out of BWI. Traffic is too bad that BWI appeals to people in the northern area, IAD to people in the western suburbs, and DCA to people inside the Beltway.

Most from DC area only go up to BWI when the fares are significantly cheaper. WN is at IAD also and planning DCA eventually.
Very true. I live 15 minutes from BWI and due to traffic, it would take a lot to get me to go to IAD outside of an ex-Europe flight. I've taken it over BWI on several occasions and even DCA on occasion (DCA is my second) if the fares warrant it. BWI certainly isn't a large UA station, but it's not small either. I wish/hope UA puts more into it after the merger. I like the LAX/SFO transcons out of there.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by JeffS
The problem I have with this lounge, as if it really matters , is the floating price dependent upon how many people are already in the lounge. I go there one day and pay $17.50. A week later I'm told today it is $45.
According to the website there will be memberships designed for those who might be there "a week later" (as you put it). The details arent out yet.

And, according to another FT thread, there may be partnerships for access too.

Related to the day pass price, ...and I cant find the link... the pricing will be prominently displayed outside of the lounge. The contention is that an over-crowded lounge is not a lounge at all (esp. a smaller one like the fmr RCC at BWI).
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
On principle, I am not going to pay $17.50 to access an independent Lounge. I hope this venture fails.

I can't imagine ever paying either if I find myself unfortunate enough to be flying BWI. I predict it will fail.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA CK, AC Super Elite, DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like an awesome idea. And why would anyone "hope that it fails"? What possible good would that do? And what's the harm of someone trying something different? If you're mad at UA for closing a club, let them know it. But it seems entirely inappropriate to wish failure on someone that takes some initiative and makes an investment and tries something new. Don't want to support it? Fair enough. Keep your money and don't pay the fees. I know I don't have thousands of posts like some here, but it just seems wrong to have a negative attitude about a new business that hasn't even opened yet.

Last edited by kvez; Apr 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
An interview with the Airspace Lounge people:
http://www.terminalu.com/travel-news...e-masses/8354/
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: United Silver
I fly out of BWI all the time, but I am rarely in Concourse D. If I found myself there though, I wouldn't necessarily mind paying $17.50 for the benefits this seems to provide.

The benefits of a lounge seem to be more useful on a long layover though, and as far as I know, no one except Southwest has layovers in BWI (with the exception of a few prop flights from Harrisburg and Hagerstown).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WebDesignGuy
The benefits of a lounge seem to be more useful on a long layover though, and as far as I know, no one except Southwest has layovers in BWI (with the exception of a few prop flights from Harrisburg and Hagerstown).
I agree with this for the most part but sometimes I end up at the airport early depending on how I catch the parking shuttles and have up to an hour to kill and at the low price it would not be bad since it includes a sandwich and a drink, we will have to wait and see what the quality of the food it otherwise it will be back to the Green Turtle for me.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:55 pm
Company Representative, AirSpace Lounges

Originally Posted by trapshooter85
I agree with this for the most part but sometimes I end up at the airport early depending on how I catch the parking shuttles and have up to an hour to kill and at the low price it would not be bad since it includes a sandwich and a drink, we will have to wait and see what the quality of the food it otherwise it will be back to the Green Turtle for me.
(Our first post on FT, Hi everyone!)

trapshooter85 and webdesignguy, our food offering will be a choice of a selection of substantial sandwiches & breakfast items that will rotate frequently, in addition to lounge snacks, soft drinks and also complimentary Peet's coffee & tea. Of course we hope you enjoy the food & the technology; and most of all we hope you'll come to Airspace to enjoy the wonderful space that we are creating for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.