Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
  • This plane has two seats on each side of the cabin and a single aisle.
  • Carry-on space is very limited; most roll-aboard luggage will need to be gate-checked.
  • The aisle armrests of the non-window seats can be raised to allow for a little more room.
  • The exit row seats (Row 8), marketed as Preferred Seating, do not have any significant amount of additional pitch and there is no arm rest next to the window.
    • On a small number of aircraft the rows are number 1-12, 14 and exit row is row 8
  • Row 1 is marketed as Preferred Seating Economy Plus, however there is no significant amount of additional pitch. The bulkhead at this row means limited space to stretch your legs compared to other rows, and there is little overhead space available.
  • Row 2-5 are marketed as Preferred Seating blocked for elites, but are standard pitch -- no extra leg space
Aerolopa: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-bombardier-cr2
Print Wikipost

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
FWIW, almost all of our recent (pre-covid) flights were international J, so the contrast could be a bit jarring.
I once came off a 12 hour NH F flight to transfer to a WhiskeyJet 200. Ouch.

Edit to add: Just checked, it was actually F in an ERJ 175 but now that route is all -200s. PTSD from that I suppose
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
On the bright side it's not the worst 50 seater I've ever flown, that would be a YAK-50 from Odessa to Kiev on one of the now long gone Babyflots. Built and rode like a tank.

As far as seats on the CRJ-200, I'd prefer anything on another type of plane.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ttuna3
On the bright side it's not the worst 50 seater I've ever flown, that would be a YAK-50 from Odessa to Kiev on one of the now long gone Babyflots. Built and rode like a tank.

As far as seats on the CRJ-200, I'd prefer anything on another type of plane.
Isn't a Yak-50 a single seat aerobatic monoplane? That would be a great ride!
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
atword,

You're right, I messed up the number. It was a YAK 40.

Senior Moment
atword likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I consider myself one of the “kings” (joker might be more appropriate) of this plane. I’m sure I’ve said it up thread over the years, but my math tells me I’ve flown somewhere around 700 segments on the -200.

What everyone says, especially about the horrible design of the low seat back, cramped window seats with no shoulder width, no legroom and (almost) all seats being equal(ly bad) are true. It’s not even close, this is the most passenger-unfriendly plane in United’s (Express) fleet, and arguably the worst 50-seater ever built—if there’s a worse one, I haven’t been on it.
On the bright side, you chose 1B and 1C a few hundred of times on CRJ-200. These are the only two seats that I would choose.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Now there's an understatement ......

And as someone who has spent time on Devi's Chariot, I will disagree with my learned fellow posters and say that exit row DOES have an extra inch or two of legroom no matter what they claim. Not like a regular exit row of course, but still ....
You are totally right. In the exit row my knees don't touch the seatback in front of me like it does in other rows. When I cannot reserve seat 1B, I always choose seat 8B or 8C. Seat 1C is released later but I always worry that they will need it back and send me to a window seat.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You are totally right. In the exit row my knees don't touch the seatback in front of me like it does in other rows. When I cannot reserve seat 1B, I always choose seat 8B or 8C. Seat 1C is released later but I always worry that they will need it back and send me to a window seat.
Interesting, I haven’t noticed 1C being blocked on most of my flights as I usually pick that over B since the C/D side has overhead space. It seems like when it’s not available, both C and D are taken (likely actually chosen by people).

Is 1C saved for wheelchair/disabled?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Interesting, I haven’t noticed 1C being blocked on most of my flights as I usually pick that over B since the C/D side has overhead space. It seems like when it’s not available, both C and D are taken (likely actually chosen by people).

Is 1C saved for wheelchair/disabled?
Now I don't know why I thought that seat 1C was reserved until 24 hours prior to the flight. I have not flown since March 7, 2020 which means that I have not taken a CR2 since then. When life was normal, I used to have to take 2 CR2s on every trip: the first leg when leaving home and the last leg when coming back.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Now I don't know why I thought that seat 1C was reserved until 24 hours prior to the flight. I have not flown since March 7, 2020 which means that I have not taken a CR2 since then. When life was normal, I used to have to take 2 CR2s on every trip: the first leg when leaving home and the last leg when coming back.
I’ve been on one every week since Trans States shuttered last April. Commutair will be filling that role the end of this month though so no more CRJ-200!!!!

I don’t think 1C is normally blocked however.

One word of caution though if you do pick row 1: you’re the first one likely to be moved for weight and balance. It happened to me a few weeks ago. Seat 1C to seat 13B next to the lav...
atword likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Anyone know what kind of plane this is?

Want to look up seatguru to see what seats are best, but cannot find anywhere what plane type this is. THX
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Want to look up seatguru to see what seats are best, but cannot find anywhere what plane type this is. THX
It's a regional jet... CRJ-200. Often refered to as the "Devil's Chariot" in the frequent flyer world.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Want to look up seatguru to see what seats are best, but cannot find anywhere what plane type this is. ...
United Express CRJ-200 and there is no good seat
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
United Express CRJ-200 and there is no good seat
Which would be the 'best seat" for 6 foot 4 , 350lb lump ? I have flown all the other CRJs with little problem, even the 145 many times with the row 18 exit seat - you can push the secret button and lift the isle armrest up for more room !
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Which would be the 'best seat" for 6 foot 4 , 350lb lump ? ...
not to be flippant, a different aircraft type.

Read the depressing news in the wiki

Avoid window seats due to the curvature and shoulder space.

- you can push the secret button and lift the isle armrest up for more room !
The will work for aisle seats on the CRJ200
Also work for many narrowbody aisle seats in economy
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not to be flippant, a different aircraft type.
Good point. I was hoping to do PBI-EWR , then get upgrade EWR to LAX or SFO on dreamliner, but both LAX and SFO only use the crj200 to SBA.

I think I will do PBI-EWR-DEN-SBA . The EWR-DEN is a 737 MAX 9 with J6 open and the DEN-SBA is a 319 with J8 open - no PZ AS ALWAYS ALWAYS on ANY flight ever ! But maybe the PP will clear .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.