Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
  • This plane has two seats on each side of the cabin and a single aisle.
  • Carry-on space is very limited; most roll-aboard luggage will need to be gate-checked.
  • The aisle armrests of the non-window seats can be raised to allow for a little more room.
  • The exit row seats (Row 8), marketed as Preferred Seating, do not have any significant amount of additional pitch and there is no arm rest next to the window.
    • On a small number of aircraft the rows are number 1-12, 14 and exit row is row 8
  • Row 1 is marketed as Preferred Seating Economy Plus, however there is no significant amount of additional pitch. The bulkhead at this row means limited space to stretch your legs compared to other rows, and there is little overhead space available.
  • Row 2-5 are marketed as Preferred Seating blocked for elites, but are standard pitch -- no extra leg space
Aerolopa: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-bombardier-cr2
Print Wikipost

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for all of the useful replies to my question, folks. It's just a short hop from SFO to Eugene, Oregon, but this is good to know for future reference (and avoidance! ).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:54 pm

The existing posts in this thread are accurate but I do want to add that if you are on the shorter side then window seats will be more comfortable than aisles. I'm 5'7 and being able to lean against the fuselage is a big comfort win vs the aisle.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Lav Row Isn't That Bad

I love that FT calls this the Devil's Chariot! The CRJ is the bane of my existence, flying, as I do, mostly out of FAT.

I used to always select 1B/1C...but I'm a tall (6'5") and broad shouldered guy and I could never get comfortable in this seat because I am constantly rubbing shoulders with the person next to me--and there is ALWAYS a person next to you in this row, because it's marketed as E+ or its given to the non-revs if not purchased or selected by others. I have to lean out into the aisle and block the FA constantly.

As an experiment the other day I selected 13B(?)...the seat next to the lavatory. It was amazing. First, there really isn't any less pitch then Row 1, but now I can lean into the aisle with no chance of disturbing anyone else because the FA doesn't have to walk past me and very few people use the lav. Also, I find that by the time I've deboarded they've usually just started to unload the valet bags, so I didn't end up waiting any longer than usual.

Now I'm sure I'll have a bad lav experience at some point, or a tight connection that won't permit sitting at the back of the bus, but so far I recommend it to my larger compatriots.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 21, 2016 at 11:56 am Reason: fixed typo in post title
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm flying on a CR2 for the first time in a while (UA5250, UA5628, use to be a RJ45). The seatmap is unfamiliar. Rows 1-13 (no skip to 18). Row 2 and 3 are not marked as E+ (instead of Row 1) and 8 isnt e+ at all (which makes sense). Do rows 2,3 really have more legroom?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
I'm flying on a CR2 for the first time in a while (UA5250, UA5628, use to be a RJ45). The seatmap is unfamiliar. Rows 1-13 (no skip to 18). Row 2 and 3 are not marked as E+ (instead of Row 1) and 8 isnt e+ at all (which makes sense). Do rows 2,3 really have more legroom?
Row 1 (bulkhead) is the only row marketed as E+ and that is only for the lack of a seat reclining into the row. Row 2,3 are pretty much the same as the rest.
BTW, this is an alternative row numbering that is found on some versions of this aircraft.
There are no good seats on this aircraft.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Row 2 and 3 are not marked as E+ (instead of Row 1) and 8 isnt e+ at all (which makes sense). Do rows 2,3 really have more legroom?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Row 1 (bulkhead) is the only row marketed as E+ and that is only for the lack of a seat reclining into the row. Row 2,3 are pretty much the same as the rest.
I ride / rode Devil's Chariot more so than most, so sadly familiar with this bird

Rows 2 and 3 get the preferred treatment due to proximity to door and an early exit, and have EXACTLY the same legroom as ALL rows except 1 and exit row, which has an inch or two of extra legroom (I've never measured it, but there IS extra legroom).

My condolences, E145 is a much better ride (ask me how I know ).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
The last row near the lav (14 or 23?), does it have a window?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It's been a while but I'm fairly certain it does, albeit at knee level like the other windows on that plane.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Yes. On the planes I routinely fly it is numbered row 13, and there is a window...plus you get the added benefit of being able to store things under your own seat without filling the space in front of your feet.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Defendem
Yes. On the planes I routinely fly it is numbered row 13, and there is a window...plus you get the added benefit of being able to store things under your own seat without filling the space in front of your feet.
I have a few really short hops coming up. Betting the last row will stay empty and not much lav use...

Hope I'm right
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Ahhhh. I don't miss the frequent YEG-DEN on the devil's chariot. 1019 miles of torture. No idea how they got away with this. It was always full too! The ONE time I booked YEG-DEN on a 737(me and 3 friends were all in J), it got downgraded to a CR2 LOL!!! Fun times.

Row 1 is the only good seat; to get ASAP!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:17 am

I want to valet check my carryon bag at the gate because I know it wont fit overhead for the first leg of my trip. But I need my bag for the the layover and for the second leg. Does the offer to valet check a bag (where they tag your bag and I pick it up after the first leg) vs. Gate Check come from the airline, the airport, the mood of the baggage handlers? Can I find out in advance?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I want to valet check my carryon bag at the gate because I know it wont fit overhead for the first leg of my trip. But I need my bag for the the layover and for the second leg. Does the offer to valet check a bag (where they tag your bag and I pick it up after the first leg) vs. Gate Check come from the airline, the airport, the mood of the baggage handlers? Can I find out in advance?
Since I live in a small city, I have to take CR2s on my first leg of the trip all the time to connect to a bigger plane on my outbound flight and when coming back connecting to the last leg of the trip. So, here's what will happen. At the gate, you'll get a green tag that you'll affix to your luggage. You will take your luggage to the end of the jet bridge where you see a door to the outside and leave it there.

This system of the green tag comes from the airlines. It does not depend on the mood of the baggage handlers. In 30 years of flying small planes, I only have two times when it was not delivered to the jet bridge at the end of my small plane flight. Both times, it happened in the small airport at the last leg of the trip. Both times it was due to inclement weather. One time it was extremely cold and they thought that it would not be good for the baggage handlers to have to spend more time than needed outside and it would not be good for the passengers to wait on the jet bridge as the jet bridge is not heated. The other time, there was a lot of snow. So, it would be easier for the baggage handlers to send all the luggage to the terminal.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Since I live in a small city, ....
You didn't specify it's no longer ITH... .OK, I'll slink away unscathed at this point.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You didn't specify it's no longer ITH... .OK, I'll slink away unscathed at this point.
No longer ITH but I still have the problem of the small plane (in this case, CR2s) to escape from here. My wife wishes it was still ITH. This small city is bigger but there's much less to do.

Actually, a few months ago, I had my first experience of the reverse process on the CR2. The UAX pilot asked for more fuel due to the bad weather. Then we got overloaded and the pilot needed that some bags get moved from below to inside the cabin. Difficult to do since most roller luggage carry on would never fit in the small bins of the CR2s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.