Wiki Posts
Search

Is United First worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan*E
Is United First worth it?

Confession: I've lurked around these boards for ages but have finally decided to bite the bullet and wade in.

Second confession: I am not normally a United flyer. In fact, all of my experiences with United in the past have been quite rough, and I try to avoid them at all costs.

That said, those previous experiences were domestic (or CAN-US) back-of-the-plane.

My spouse and I are considering a trip to NRT over the Xmas holidays, and have enough Aeroplan points to do it in First- if we go with United (IAD to NRT).

Is it worth it? Does the experience get exponentially better at the front of the plane? 14 hours seems like a long time to spend on the plane if the experience is anything like back of the plane domestic.

Please ease my worries!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Like all such questions, it depends on how many miles you have and what else you might use them for.

First, it depends on the aircraft type. Most of the B777s are not configured with UA's new business class. In that case, first is definitely worth it. If you do get one configured with the new C (and of course there is no way to know -- perhaps those with more knowledge of the route can help you guess), then the difference is less, but F is still a good notch better, especially considering the International First Class Lounge access. Not that these lounges are great, but still a nice amenity.

Despite all of that, I would recommend that you try to get on All Nippon first instead. It's a far better experience in every way.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: UA/AA
I suggest you search for an F award on one of the Asian airlines. Look for ANA ex. JFK/ORD or SQ from LAX. Asiana has some availabilty too, although not direct to NRT.
You will find the equipment,food and service a few notches above UA.
Good luck and enjoy!
Oh yeah, it will be exponentially better than in the back of the bus.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
I suggest you search for an F award on one of the Asian airlines. Look for ANA ex. JFK/ORD or SQ from LAX. Asiana has some availabilty too, although not direct to NRT.
You will find the equipment,food and service a few notches above UA.
Good luck and enjoy!
Oh yeah, it will be exponentially better than in the back of the bus.
Although I agree with your suggestions, NH/ANA and SQ have made it impossible to redeem F awards. Even Asiana, which tends to have better F award availability, rarely releases 2 F awards, especially on its new 3-class 777s due to the small size of the F cabin on this particular aircraft.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
If going F, go via ZRH/FRA on LX/LH or the Asian options others mentioned.

Add a stop in Europe to make it more fun if you have time
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWandbeyond
Confession: I've lurked around these boards for ages but have finally decided to bite the bullet and wade in.

Second confession: I am not normally a United flyer. In fact, all of my experiences with United in the past have been quite rough, and I try to avoid them at all costs.

That said, those previous experiences were domestic (or CAN-US) back-of-the-plane.

My spouse and I are considering a trip to NRT over the Xmas holidays, and have enough Aeroplan points to do it in First- if we go with United (IAD to NRT).

Is it worth it? Does the experience get exponentially better at the front of the plane? 14 hours seems like a long time to spend on the plane if the experience is anything like back of the plane domestic.

Please ease my worries!
The seat alone is worth the extra points to fly forward of coach. The experience - well, it is United, so don't expect anything different than you would get in coach, save some real silverware and free low quality wine, and you will not be disappointed.

As mentioned above, if the aircraft is a 747 business will be fine in terms of seating. If it's the 777, go for F for a better seat.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Really? I know using UA that costs a bit extra in mileage, but is a stopover or flying to Asia via Europe still doable with 100k miles for biz, 120k for first?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by patchan8984
Really? I know using UA that costs a bit extra in mileage, but is a stopover or flying to Asia via Europe still doable with 100k miles for biz, 120k for first?
The OP is using Aeroplan miles, two stopovers are allowed anywhere on route from North American to Asia, you can also go via either ocean, its called a mini-rtw for 100kC/120kF
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Agree with others, you use your 120K PP points on Asian airlines, or go via Europe adding LH or LX.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If going F, go via ZRH/FRA on LX/LH or the Asian options others mentioned.

Add a stop in Europe to make it more fun if you have time
^

Originally Posted by SFO777
Agree with others, you use your 120K PP points on Asian airlines, or go via Europe adding LH or LX.
^

Take some time in Europe for a mini-double continent trip.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I fly SFO to NRT all the time and have done it on the old and new configs in all classes... Ditto on ANA with their current crop of planes. Honestly in the new seats/configs I feel UA F and C are quite similar in terms of the physical seat and comfort level. F is of course superior but it's marginal - mainly service, food and wine benefits. Now if redeeming miles though, at least from here to NRT it's only 10K more miles for F. After like 125K miles, I figure what the hell, it's worth it....

Also incase considering ANA, here's my opinion on how they stack up:

UA New F > ANA F > UA new C > UA old F > ANA C > UA old C > ANA PY > UA E+ > ANA Y > UA Y

ANA has new configs but not yet to/from SFO at least.

Welcome to the OP. Oh and one more thing - Really do recommend you avoid coach at all costs if possible!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
After trying ALL the F and C products on UA and NH (ANA) here's how I rate them:

NH New F > NH old F > UA New F > NH New C > UA Old F > UA New C > NH Old C > UA Old C.

The new NH product in F is just brilliant !!! Of course it's JMHO.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think UA old F is just fine if maintained (which it isn't always). I would put it above UA new C since no climbing over people is ever required in UA old F. But UA new C is quite acceptable, especially since the person climbing over will be married to the person climbed over. I wouldn't pay the extra miles for new F. The problem is that UA new C (the 747) is hardly ever available for awards.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
Interesting, I have a choice to make between ANA old C for 75k ANA miles vs. United new F for 145k UA miles. (All UA 747s have the new F, right?)

Now I already see the comments about the hard product ranking above, and obviously F > C, but would you say that in terms of SERVICE, ANA C > UA F?

Edit: Also, the international flight on UA has a short domestic leg first...why is this one in coach rather than first??
Edit2: Never mind, it's because the domestic segment has no XF availability. Anyone know if XF availability opens up, if I can change free of charge to First on the domestic leg?

Last edited by darrenhe; Oct 30, 2010 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darrenhe
...Edit2: Never mind, it's because the domestic segment has no XF availability. Anyone know if XF availability opens up, if I can change free of charge to First on the domestic leg?
yes, should be waitlisted for XF and if it goes to the gate you will be ahead of the upgraders -- make sure you are listed at the gate as FFCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.