Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet for the office? United: Sure!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum
Thumbs up Red Carpet for the office? United: Sure!

So I'm a frequent FT lurker, but this will be my first post. I've been thinking about sharing this little story for awhile now, and finally figured I'd give it a go tonight while enjoying some downtime on a biz trip. Hope you all enjoy.

As I'm sure is the case with many FTers, a few colleagues from my office and I are big into the elite and miles game. A fellow FTer (Ecotone) brought me over to the United camp during early 2009, and I made 1K for the first time in later that year.

To celebrate my new status (and airline), I thought it might make for some nice bragging rights if I could somehow get one of the signature UA red carpets for my office in DC. I thought of a possible options, including eBay or trying to coax an airport employee to let me walk with one. Before going that route, I figured what the hell, It's a long shot, but I'll just see if United will give me or let me purchase one.

Here's where it gets good. I shot an email to 1KVoice in late 2009 and explained my situation: 1K elite, United fan and guy with nothing better to do than talk miles in the office. To my surprise, no less than a week later, I get an email from UA corporate explaining that they had received my request and would be happy to send me a carpet, free of charge! Now don't get me wrong, I'm used to getting great service from United, but I was pretty shocked that an organization as large as UA was able to route and respond to such a unique request so quickly (a corporate achievement many orgs could never pull off for a variety of reasons), let alone say yes.

Fast forward to January, I'm getting calls from an incredibly kind woman in UA corporate giving me status updates on my request (they had to have one made), and she's even providing me with shipping confirmation numbers and estimated arrival information! Unbelievable "service", and unbelievably cool in my opinion. The carpet landed in DC around the 15th of that month, and since then I've been proudly riding the red on my non-travel days (see attached picture).

I thought about not posting this story simply because I didn't want to reward United's kindness by encouraging massive amounts of FTers to request red carpets, but think this one just had to be shared. Hats off to the United staff who made this possible, and also UA management (still owe them a nice letter, although I did reach out to the staff that helped) for creating an atmosphere where ordinary folks doing there jobs can go the extra mile to make a difference for a customer, no matter how weird it might seem. If I was loyal before, I'm definitely an ambassador now. Thanks, United; you'll be seeing me around for a long time.

Last edited by booch; Jul 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Wow I am so jealous.

A coworker of mine tried to get one of those for my office. (I'm a huge United geek and I already have United posters and a stuffed UA airplane in my office )

He asked an airport employee if he could borrow one for a couple days (having full intention to return it as promised) but got brushed off for obvious reasons The employee probably thought he was nuts.

This is outstanding. Very cool gesture from United. Thanks for sharing... the only issue is that now UA will be inundated with requests. Maybe UA could sell carpets and various other geeky items to 1K members at cost? I'd gladly pay for a carpet and an elite line boarding sign
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:13 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
I suppose the marketing folks thought it would be good PR . BTW, if they don't have elite staus , do U allow them on the carpet?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Suggestion to United: include one of these in the 1K package

With the upcoming logo change, there should be a lot of used ones available for distribution
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Suggestion to United: include one of these in the 1K package

With the upcoming logo change, there should be a lot of used ones available for distribution
I would do a MR for that...mostly just to see my wife's reaction.

This has me wondering whats happening with the old biz seats? now that the 777's are being reconfigured, they mustnot need spare parts anymore...any thought to selling them? They are truly run down on board, but i would love to pick one or two up for my office/living room and get them reupholstered.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam

seats

Welcome to FT, booch.

What a great story and what a great way to start.

You have made all of us very jealous.

wwbgd
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
nice work gary

^
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wow. I am jealous! ^
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I just left a message on the home voice mail for my favorite UA station manager, asking him for one of the carpets .... if UA gets rid of them after the merger.

^ to the OP for this great idea!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Originally Posted by avsfan733
This has me wondering whats happening with the old biz seats? now that the 777's are being reconfigured, they mustnot need spare parts anymore...any thought to selling them? They are truly run down on board, but i would love to pick one or two up for my office/living room and get them reupholstered.
There was a thread about this earlier with a website where you could buy old seats. I searched but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else remembers it. I think it was in the reconfiguration thread for the 74 or 76.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:55 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Prediction:

United 1K Voice receives 100 e-mails requesting red carpets in the next couple of days
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:13 pm

Man I wish this 2P could get one...
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Pat+
Wow I am so jealous.
+1
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
nice work gary

^
and i'll add a "very" tot he nice work ^^

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Wow. I am jealous! ^
moi aussi

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Prediction:

United 1K Voice receives 100 e-mails requesting red carpets in the next couple of days
make it 101 emails.... (no, not gonna send one-i just "had to be me" )
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Does it come with Gate Lice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.