Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet for the office? United: Sure!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Back in the late 70's / early 80's, some college buds of mine wrote to Eastern Airlines ref a billboard of a 727 ... a shot taken looking out at the aircraft as it was pointed straight at the camera on final approach. It was a cool shot and they simply wanted to know if posters/prints were available for purchase.

They really were not expecting a response.
About 2 weeks later, a HUGE package arrived at their apartment.
It was the billboard ... minus the side/bottom bar that advertised "whatever".
It took a lot of trimming (clipped the wingtips) to get it to fit on the longest wall of their living room, but it was great !!
Of course you couldn't "sse it" if you were too close .. just a bunch of blue dots. But across the room and a few beers ...

I guess I should mention that the college we were attending was Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. Basically all pilot wannabes. And ERAU students rented about 80% of that apartment complex. So that wall was quite the envy

Class of '81
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I was denied last year when I was still a 1P.

Should I try again as a 1K?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
+2 on the carpet, I'll take one united and one continental... How much did lucky people pay for this?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
A sup @ ORD was telling me that UA is going to hold an auction for this stuff. However, I hope I can still "work" my connections
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 1KHI
+2 on the carpet, I'll take one united and one continental... How much did lucky people pay for this?
Mine was paid for by the firm of Bupkes, Gornisht, Nada, Rien & Zilch
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Some lucky person is going to win one at dinner tonight! SFO Station Manager Mike Hanna and his crew found one for us.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I still have some Continental elite access ones and a new United grey one available.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Some lucky person is going to win one at dinner tonight! SFO Station Manager Mike Hanna and his crew found one for us.
Lucky!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:36 am

Congratulations to The Mileage Millionaire who won the red carpet last night! $980 was raised for the Dahl Fund last night from the raffle.

Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:16 pm

We've got another Red Carpet raffle. See this thread in Community for further information.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What a Depressing Use of an old Red Carpet

I was at LGA last Sunday after the big winter storm and as I was boarding a CRJ-200 to IAD I looked down in the jetway and saw this:

Our beloved red carpets deserve a better fate than keeping people from slipping in the jetway and being used to knock snow and salt off shoes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Originally Posted by CMK10
Our beloved red carpets deserve a better fate than keeping people from slipping in the jetway and being used to knock snow and salt off shoes
Ouch, very ouch. I agree with you, next time you see it, save it, have someone wash it, and most importantly use it more gently than Continental. I doubt they care enough to dare stop you, or just grab a blue carpet from the gate area as a replacement. It's more appropriate anyway ;-)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
You should've boarded last, rolled it up and stuck it in your overhead bin (if there was still room)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.