Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
SYD/MEL to US flights - busy New Year's Eve or Day?

Hi! We are contemplating getting flights back from Xmas on New Year's Eve (or day). Wondering if anyone has experience as to whether those are emptier or busier than the rest of peak period flights? (We don't care all that much about missing New Year's Eve if it would make for emptier flight with the family).

Thanks for all experiences!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:01 pm

I definitely think SIN is a better routing, but it would be 2-stops from LAX, plus it seems a harder chance of upgrade compared to Australia routes.

Speaking of which, definitely go for MEL instead of SYD for the connection - all under one roof, shorter domestic leg, MEL-PER being normally cheaper than SYD-PER on a separate ticket, more frequencies etc
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Flew home on New Year’s day last year, not a seat to be had. Book 2 reward seats in Business.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would expect NYE to be far less busy than NYD.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Flights will likely be full in J on both NYE and NYD, and figure -1 and +1 to be on the safe side, as most folks are coming back from holidays in Australia.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
And it’s the middle of summer holidays for Australians.....lots of families head for the USA.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
SYD-IAH on 01JAN19 was packed, glad I booked way in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:15 pm

Thanks all for the comments on the LAX-PERTH routing. In the end, we got tickets from LAX-SYD with guaranteed upgrades to business both ways (and then SYD to PER on Qantas). LAX to PER, r/t, was less than $900 each (not counting the upgrades of course)!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomps
Thanks all for the comments on the LAX-PERTH routing. In the end, we got tickets from LAX-SYD with guaranteed upgrades to business both ways (and then SYD to PER on Qantas). LAX to PER, r/t, was less than $900 each (not counting the upgrades of course)!
That's a good price for PER. Just SYD-PER on QF/VA can be very expensive
As SYD-PER is a QF flight, assuming a QF flight number, you will be able to get AA, AS or other ff miles.

You will need to clear immigration & customs at SYD, then across to QF T3 on the QF bus.

Enjoy the trip ^
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Couple of weeks ago, when the prices were low, I snagged SBA-LAX-SYD-BNE/ SYD-LAX for $590. That is a pretty cheap for the week of Thanksgiving.

I am seeing an option to upgrade LAX-SYD to J for 30,000 miles + $600. In my limited experience, I feel thats a pretty good, given how cheap my ticket is. I wanted to check with those who fly J frequently for an opinion. Also, if I were to pull the trigger on it, I should do it sooner than later, right?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:28 pm

You should do it immediately. It's a brutally long flight and a very reasonable and rare upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by daKav
Couple of weeks ago, when the prices were low, I snagged SBA-LAX-SYD-BNE/ SYD-LAX for $590. That is a pretty cheap for the week of Thanksgiving.

I am seeing an option to upgrade LAX-SYD to J for 30,000 miles + $600. In my limited experience, I feel thats a pretty good, given how cheap my ticket is. I wanted to check with those who fly J frequently for an opinion. Also, if I were to pull the trigger on it, I should do it sooner than later, right?
The price for a miles+cash upgrade is fixed. If it is available to confirm right now, that is somewhat rare. It's always YMMV as to whether it is "worth it" -- I would never fly a 7,500mi overnight in Y, but opinions vary widely.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, UA
I haven't done miles+cash upgrade before. From what I gather reading this thread and other online blogs, the confirmation isn't instantaneous. Is that right? And how long of a wait should I be prepared for? fwiw, my travel date is 9.5 months away.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by daKav
I haven't done miles+cash upgrade before. From what I gather reading this thread and other online blogs, the confirmation isn't instantaneous. Is that right? And how long of a wait should I be prepared for? fwiw, my travel date is 9.5 months away.
It depends on whether your flight has PZ space available. It may clear immediately, or at any point up to and including boarding.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:21 pm

It's instant if PZ space is available. And, depending on dates, there's lots of PZ space available IAH/SYD and LAX/SYD even with the fight cutbacks over Summer. Just have to be somewhat flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.