Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Darn....Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Darn....Thanks
Haha....have a connection or something after? It's going to be a walk...
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I made my wife and kids do it 2.5 years ago. They weren’t happy, but survived.😄
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It's only a walk if you want to it be...

Presuming your bags are tagged all the way through you can drop them at TBIT. You can then jump on the inter-terminal bus, which will take you to T7.

Realistically given the mess that LAX traffic is it'll probably take about the same time as walking, but with a 2 year old it'll likely be a better option.

If you do decide to walk, checkout the TSA lines in T6 and if they are short then go through there and walk to T7 airside (immediate left once you're through TSA) - it's the same distance. I wouldn't recommend doing the same in T5/T4/TBIT as it will add more distance to the walk.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
If one does a quick LAX-SYD-LAX mileage run, what is the transfer or connection process like at SYD? 2.5 hours on the ground. Do I need to get the electronic visa? Will I have to clear security? What else should I be aware of?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rch4u
If one does a quick LAX-SYD-LAX mileage run, what is the transfer or connection process like at SYD? 2.5 hours on the ground. Do I need to get the electronic visa? Will I have to clear security? What else should I be aware of?
You will need to clear security, but will not need to go through immigration.

In theory, you don't need a visa if you are only transiting in SYD (presuming you're a US citizen, although citizens from most countries are the same) and not entering the country. That said, I'm not sure this would be considered transit given that you are returning to the same location as you're departing which could cause issues when boarding your flight in LAX (although not in SYD as you won't pass through immigration so there's nobody to check).

Personally I'd drop the A$20 to get an ETA, which is basically a visa-equivalent that would allow you to enter the country. Not only will it solve the potential issue at check-in, it'll also makes things easier if your flight is delayed/canceled for some reason and you need to enter the country. https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/
rch4u and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by docbert
You will need to clear security, but will not need to go through immigration.

In theory, you don't need a visa if you are only transiting in SYD (presuming you're a US citizen, although citizens from most countries are the same) and not entering the country. That said, I'm not sure this would be considered transit given that you are returning to the same location as you're departing which could cause issues when boarding your flight in LAX (although not in SYD as you won't pass through immigration so there's nobody to check).

Personally I'd drop the A$20 to get an ETA, which is basically a visa-equivalent that would allow you to enter the country. Not only will it solve the potential issue at check-in, it'll also makes things easier if your flight is delayed/canceled for some reason and you need to enter the country. https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/
The one and only mileage run I did to Sydney almost 10 years ago I chose to get the ETA. It's cheap, and even a few hours outside of the airport is worth it.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
+1 for getting the ETA. It's only AUD 20 and will avoid a seriously strange argument if they try to deny you boarding on LAX-SYD.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
If one does a quick LAX-SYD-LAX mileage run, what is the transfer or connection process like at SYD? 2.5 hours on the ground.
Do I need to get the electronic visa?
Will I have to clear security?
What else should I be aware of?
I would pay the $20 as link above. Cheap insurance.
Or if he is available (see post 1) --->> Free Australian ETA Visa application*

There is a security check from arrivals to departures (transit door). SYD arrivals & departures are physically separate

As you hopefully will be air-side these threads should not apply to you
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
SYD Lounges - Electrical Outlets?

Will be flying SYD to SFO in United's Polaris Business cabin. Looks like the two possible lounges to use at SYD are Air New Zealand or Singapore. Just wondering if anyone knows how abundant the electrical outlets are in these lounges (for charging phones, using computers), including at basic chairs, not just desks or workstations. Thanks!

JK-SFO
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:41 am

From memory, both were pretty good in terms of power outlets.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JK-SFO
.. Looks like the two possible lounges to use at SYD are Air New Zealand or Singapore. Just wondering if anyone knows how abundant the electrical outlets are in these lounges (for charging phones, using computers), including at basic chairs, not just desks or workstations. ....
IME, should not be a problem in either. NZ club feels a bit more modern and might have more outlets but outlets are available at chairs in the SQ lounge.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JK-SFO
Will be flying SYD to SFO in United's Polaris Business cabin. Looks like the two possible lounges to use at SYD are Air New Zealand or Singapore. Just wondering if anyone knows how abundant the electrical outlets are in these lounges (for charging phones, using computers), including at basic chairs, not just desks or workstations.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
And will be Australasian standard AS/NZS 3112 (Type I) 230 V 50 Hz
You will need a adaptor plug for a US style plug
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_pow...gs_and_sockets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IME, should not be a problem in either. NZ club feels a bit more modern and might have more outlets but outlets are available at chairs in the SQ lounge.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Thank you both - very helpful to know!

JK-SFO
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
On my flight on Sunday night my fellow seatmate was going LAS-SFO-SYD-PER. He mentioned he had 90 minutes in SYD to make the connection. I was surprised with the connection time (all on one ticket) only being 90 minutes as my experience with Australian customs is the lines are very, very long in the morning and then you need to transfer to the domestic terminal. Now although I travel to Sydney approx. once a year, if I travel within Australia it is generally on a different day. However, I have been invited to a big number birthday in Perth next year and was wondering about the connection time. I would plan to travel with United, unless the fares were ridiculous and as it is the middle of winter for my planned travel feeling pretty good about booking with United.

I am looking for people's experiences with the connection time in Sydney to domestic flights knowing you need to go to a different terminal.

Also, do any of the domestic airlines in Australia give PQM? I know NZ flies AKL-PER but I would want to stop back in Sydney on the way back so NZ may not be a viable option.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.