Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
there was already the LAX flight for those who want something in the morning, no reason SFO couldn't be a slightly later departure
Especially when they don't even open the Arrivals Lounge in SFO to coincide with the earlier landing.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
I agree the arrivals lounge should open earlier, but as someone who routinely flies Australia --> East Coast USA, the earlier flight times are excellent.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:35 am

On yesterday's 870, SYD-SFO, I asked for a Moscow Mule for my pre-dinner drink and got "the look". FA said that they only stocked them in Y and that she would have to go to the back for one. She returned pretty soon thereafter and told me that there were none on the aircraft - either a tall tale or a catering problem that is disappointing on a 14 hour flight.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by transportprof
On yesterday's 870, SYD-SFO, I asked for a Moscow Mule for my pre-dinner drink and got "the look". FA said that they only stocked them in Y and that she would have to go to the back for one. She returned pretty soon thereafter and told me that there were none on the aircraft - either a tall tale or a catering problem that is disappointing on a 14 hour flight.
No VB either direction in GF on recent 3-class flight a couple weeks before the equipment change either.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The fellow next to me who'd paid full-fare business ate some of his chicken dish and ignored the rest. Can't blame him. What has happened to intl C meals lately??
With service between GUM and CNS ended (why???), I'm now going to/from Australia via Sydney.

I've noticed the meals OUT of SYD are basically hideous, both in C and Y. I was SYD/LAX two weeks ago where the Y dinner had "mashed potato" that at first I thought was couscous. The texture was unlike any potato I have ever had, and it tasted hideous.

I had a pedestrian C meal SYD/SFO in January.

I've got to think it's the supplier in Sydney. Meals in the other direction have been fine - in some cases tasty, in fact.

I wrote my first-ever meal complaint to the 1K desk after the last travel. I'm not hopeful when Australians are involved.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
As far as I could ever tell (and also according to ua.com for whatever that's worth) the Moscow Mule is only catered on North America flights. Although I'm surprised at no VB. They've always had VB on the Aussie flights.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimmc66
With service between GUM and CNS ended (why???), I'm now going to/from Australia via Sydney.

I've noticed the meals OUT of SYD are basically hideous, both in C and Y. I was SYD/LAX two weeks ago where the Y dinner had "mashed potato" that at first I thought was couscous. The texture was unlike any potato I have ever had, and it tasted hideous.

I've got to think it's the supplier in Sydney. Meals in the other direction have been fine - in some cases tasty, in fact.

I wrote my first-ever meal complaint to the 1K desk after the last travel. I'm not hopeful when Australians are involved.
I flew SYD-SFO in C this week. Food was the same as usual. I had the beef (shortrib?) Only noticable difference was the salad dressing. Honey or raspberry vinaigrette instead of ranch.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66

CNS was mostly targeting Japanese tourists and has taken a huge setback after JQ launched direct flights. Last time I was on it load was well under 50% (good for me, got a good rest in E+ over a row of 3)
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Especially when they don't even open the Arrivals Lounge in SFO to coincide with the earlier landing.
WTH is the purpose of the arrivals lounge then if it's not open to accommodate a major intl arrival in the morning???
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
As far as I could ever tell (and also according to ua.com for whatever that's worth) the Moscow Mule is only catered on North America flights. Although I'm surprised at no VB. They've always had VB on the Aussie flights.
FAs can use orange juice, liqueur, ice and others to create a drink similar to Moscow Mule. This happened to me for LAX-PVG flight back in February. Happy travels.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
FAs can use orange juice, liqueur, ice and others to create a drink similar to Moscow Mule.
Moscow Mule? Orange Juice? I think you may be confused...
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
WTH is the purpose of the arrivals lounge then if it's not open to accommodate a major intl arrival in the morning???
Good question. SFO's Arrivals Lounge has opened at 8 am ever since I've been flying through there, but only recently have the flights from Australia and Taiwan been moved up to arrive @7 a.m. I guess that someone in scheduling and someone in SFO station ops need to have a talk.

This is the kind of bureaucratic snafu that bedevils United. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, or does not care .....
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Moscow Mule? Orange Juice? I think you may be confused...
I guess it depends on the meaning ascribed to the word "similar." At the molecular level, both drinks would contain H20, ethanol, and fructose.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Even in my 1K days, doing a LAX-MEL-LAX MR would never have cross my mind.
We're doing it too, and in E+ no less. However we're taking 48 hours in MEL to see the city, so it's only sort of a MR.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
We're doing it too, and in E+ no less. However we're taking 48 hours in MEL to see the city, so it's only sort of a MR.
That's more of a mileage jog than a mileage run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.