Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by too_much_travel
Sorry if this has been posted but could not find an answer. I am heading to Sydney nonstop from Houston UA100 arriving at 7AM. Does UA offer a shower service to those flying Polaris? The GS desk put me on hold while trying to find out.Thanks
Originally Posted by docbert
<snip>
Presuming you're staying the night, most of the better hotels in the CBD have options for getting a shower if your room isn't available, but again it might be (for example) a shower in the gym.
Arrival lounges are not common. No airport in Australia has an arrival lounge.
Due the large numbers of passengers arriving on early morning flights (06:00 08:00) SYD hotels are used to guests showing up before official check in time.
How they handle these guest's will depend on the hotel

And you will not be able to access the UA departure lounge at SYD on arrival

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I always book an extra night and communicate with the hotel (ahead of time) I will arrive the following morning. During peak travel seasons there (November to January), it is not uncommon for hotels to sell out. Not taking chances.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:55 am

Thanks to everyone for guidance on the transfer from United to Qantas at Sydney; with a 90 minute "layover," we made the Qantas flight to Perth, but with no time to spare: walked straight into the line for boarding.

Now we have to do the reverse: fly Qantas tomorrow night to Sydney for UAL 842 home (with a 3 1/2 hour layover). Can we check our luggage straight through from Perth to LAX? Will we reclaim and recheck at Sydney?

I know we can access lounges at Sydney, but so far as I can tell there's no way for us to get any access to a lounge at Perth (with a midnight flight on Qantas, economy), to Sydney ..... Ugh.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomps
We are booked LAX-SYD-PER, changing from UAL to QFA with 1 1/2 hours in SYD to do it. Reading this thread makes me wonder whether this will even be possible. Could United make a change to get us on a later PER connection (original ticket booked on United)? Would it be worth doing/trying?

Also, if we miss the connection, is it true that neither QFA nor United is obligated to get us on a later flight, and that we'd have to buy a new ticket anyway?

We are in "Polaris." Do they really do a full meal service leaving LAX at nearly midnight?
Thanks to everyone for guidance on the transfer from United to Qantas at Sydney; with a 90 minute "layover," we made the Qantas flight to Perth, but with no time to spare: walked straight into the line for boarding.

Now we have to do the reverse: fly Qantas tomorrow night to Sydney for UAL 842 home (with a 3 1/2 hour layover). Can we check our luggage straight through from Perth to LAX? Will we reclaim and recheck at Sydney?

I know we can access lounges at Sydney, but so far as I can tell there's no way for us to get any access to a lounge at Perth (with a midnight flight on Qantas, economy), to Sydney ..... Ugh.
As LAX-SYD-PER-SYD-LAX is 1 ticket QF will through luggage leaving PER. Keep the baggage tags. At SYD T3 gate 15 (airside) is where bus to T1 leaves from

As PER-SYD is not in business class you will not have lounge access in PER. Lounge access is by class of service (business) or Oneworld mid/top level status.

Hope you enjoyed your time in the west
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:19 am

We had a great time in WA.

But when we got to Perth airport tonight, QF did not have any "record" of our ticket from SYD-LAX on United. I showed them the itinerary on my United app, but they said there was nothing they could do to add the SYD-LAX leg. It's odd, because the United app tells me I can't check in since my first flight is on Qantas.

So, what they told us, is that we have to claim our checked bags in Sydney, and then check in from "scratch" with United. I gather we get our bags in the domestic terminal 3 at Sydney, and then schlepp them on the shuttle to T1? We have 3 1/2 hours, so I"m hoping this goes well. So much for a shower in the lounge ...
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
But when we got to Perth airport tonight, QF did not have any "record" of our ticket from SYD-LAX on United. I showed them the itinerary on my United app, but they said there was nothing they could do to add the SYD-LAX leg. It's odd, because the United app tells me I can't check in since my first flight is on Qantas.

So, what they told us, is that we have to claim our checked bags in Sydney, and then check in from "scratch" with United. I gather we get our bags in the domestic terminal 3 at Sydney, and then schlepp them on the shuttle to T1? We have 3 1/2 hours, so I"m hoping this goes well. So much for a shower in the lounge ...
Presuming this is a UA ticket then it certainly should show up for them, and even if it didn't the agent would have had the ability to check them through anyway, although as a matter of practice they would have as they don't do that on separate tickets (which I'm guessing this isn't, but that would be the presumption given it wasn't showing for them)

You'll need to collect your bags, then somehow get to the international terminal. The cheapest option is the free T-bus that runs between terminals - just look for the signs outside. You can also do the train or a taxi, but both will cost you.

If your bags are relativity small (maybe slightly larger than carry-on side) and have no sharps (liquids are OK), then you can potentially collect them, then go back airside and catch the Qantas bus - but really I'm not sure that's worth the effort given the land-side bus is free.

With 3.5 hours you'll have no issues, and will almost certainly have time for a shower!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert
Presuming this is a UA ticket then it certainly should show up for them, and even if it didn't the agent would have had the ability to check them through anyway, although as a matter of practice they would have as they don't do that on separate tickets (which I'm guessing this isn't, but that would be the presumption given it wasn't showing for them)
Not all that surprising to see this hiccup - QF will be a different PNR, and since the UA segments are none of QF (marketed, operated, ticketed) then quite plausible they are missing from QF computer.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Not all that surprising to see this hiccup - QF will be a different PNR, and since the UA segments are none of QF (marketed, operated, ticketed) then quite plausible they are missing from QF computer.
I've flown QF segments on UA tickets multiple times in the past, and never had a problem with QF seeing the UA connecting flight to check bags. (QF policy is that they won't check bags unless it's the same ticket) In general, (at least) one segment before and after the QF flights will propagate to QF as an info segment so they can see the connection.

There's even a report above of UA being able to issue a QF boarding pass which is something I've never experienced, so it seems the integration between the two is actually getting better not worse - but that of course doesn't explain what happened here...
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:09 pm

Our flights were on one ticket (016 bought on the UAL website). We were able to check bags from LAX through Sydney to Perth, and even got QF boarding passes from United in LA. On the return, QF couldn't (or wouldn't) check our bags through or issue the boarding passes. Not sure why -- and they didn't know either, but said there was nothing they could do.

As is turns out, we got our bags in Sydney (although they were just about the last ones to come on the carousel, which was a bit unsettling); got the transfer bus to the international terminal; and then breezed through check in, passport control and security, and did manage to get a nice breakfast and shower in the ANZ lounge. So, in spite of the hassles of claiming bags and hauling them over to T1, all worked out!
Mwenenzi and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Early December, UA is changing the planes flying SYD-SFO to 777-300ER with the new Polaris configuration and premium economy.

SYD-LAX still listed as 787-9.
Ugh, we're flying LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX one two separate one-ways. We've successfully applied GPUs both directions.There was a very minor schedule change on the return segment... Any chance the 1K desk would allow us to change flights to MEL-SFO (obviously connecting in SYD) without any fees and still clearing those upgrades?

Guessing not, but would love to fly true Polaris instead of Fauxlaris haha. We're ultimately needing to end up in MSP, so right now we're flying the last segment home on Delta LAX-MSP, but I would happily cancel that and book SFO-MSP haha!

Anyone have experience with something like this?

OK, answer is no...unless it's a 2+ hour change. Just called and was alerted that there's not a confirmable upgrade available right now on the SYD-SFO leg...even though 41 of the 50 Polaris seats are currently open. Oh well...figured it can't hurt to ask.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 10, 2019 at 1:14 am Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I applied for MUA+Co pay upgrade on SYD-LAX. I am waitlisted. I am flying on 12/2. Is there a way to know my waitlist number? fwiw miles is deducted my account and my card is charged.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by daKav
I applied for MUA+Co pay upgrade on SYD-LAX. I am waitlisted. I am flying on 12/2. Is there a way to know my waitlist number? fwiw miles is deducted my account and my card is charged.
No; and it will change as others are added to the waitlist that have higher status and/or fare class than you.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Are you 1K? Call the 1K line and ask?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by wxguy
No; and it will change as others are added to the waitlist that have higher status and/or fare class than you.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Are you 1K? Call the 1K line and ask?
Nope, no status!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:30 pm

Nope, no status!
Realistically, your position on the upgrade list is "low enough that there's no chance you'll get upgraded".

A week out there's currently 5 business class seats left available - on a route that is difficult to upgrade at the best of times. The changes of there not being at least 5 people ahead of you on the list (based on status) is pretty much zero, and that's not including any seats that sell in the next week, or people that pay to upgrade at check-in/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.