Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:09 am

Thanks. It is not clear to me whether we get our boarding passes all the way to PER at LAX, or whether we have to pick them up at SYD too.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmthomps
Thanks. It is not clear to me whether we get our boarding passes all the way to PER at LAX, or whether we have to pick them up at SYD too.
You will NOT get your QF boarding pass from United. When you get to SYD you'll need to go through immigration, collect your bags (if any), go through customs, then turn right and head to the Qantas transfer area (which is outside of the international terminal, but connected to it). There you'll need to re-checkin for your domestic flight (get boarding passes, drop check bags), then head through security and to a waiting area where you will wait for a bus to the domestic terminal, then straight to your gate.

If you don't have bags then you can potentially check-in with Qantas online. Then follow the same path as above but skip the check-in/bag drop step.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert
You will NOT get your QF boarding pass from United. When you get to SYD you'll need to go through immigration, collect your bags (if any), go through customs, then turn right and head to the Qantas transfer area (which is outside of the international terminal, but connected to it). There you'll need to re-checkin for your domestic flight (get boarding passes, drop check bags), then head through security and to a waiting area where you will wait for a bus to the domestic terminal, then straight to your gate.

If you don't have bags then you can potentially check-in with Qantas online. Then follow the same path as above but skip the check-in/bag drop step.
Oh, right, QF bus runs airside. Definitely one-ups VA
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
We are booked LAX-SYD-PER, changing from UAL to QFA with 1 1/2 hours in SYD to do it. Reading this thread makes me wonder whether this will even be possible. Could United make a change to get us on a later PER connection (original ticket booked on United)? Would it be worth doing/trying?

Also, if we miss the connection, is it true that neither QFA nor United is obligated to get us on a later flight, and that we'd have to buy a new ticket anyway?

We are in "Polaris." Do they really do a full meal service leaving LAX at nearly midnight?
I usually make it from the opening of the aircraft door to outside customs, with checked bags, in 25-30 min. A 90 min connection sounds fine to me, assuming your inbound LAX-SYD is on time.

Don't check oversized bags. That takes longer.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:03 pm

Many thanks to all for the help regarding what to expect on our flight!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:44 am
azj

I have had mixed success using GPU’s on domestic flying this year. Just popped up, but I’m in need of a one-way from Australia back to the states. I’m originating in BNE, so MEL or SYD are both doable for me. Prices are all essentially the same. Reading through FT, booking W or V fare class might be the ticket to success. At the moment I see no PZ availability. Y category’s is too $$$. I’m wondering which flights out of SYD or MEL would be the safest bets for a successful GPU? Travel is on a Friday in October.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Oh, right, QF bus runs airside. Definitely one-ups VA
No it doesn't. VA bus runs airside as well.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
No it doesn't. VA bus runs airside as well.
Huh... last time I was at SYD, I turned left after exiting immigration and went to the VA transfer desk. They rechecked my bags, and was directed to a VA bus that was decidedly landside, clearing security in T2. Did I do something wrong?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by azj
I have had mixed success using GPU’s on domestic flying this year. Just popped up, but I’m in need of a one-way from Australia back to the states. I’m originating in BNE, so MEL or SYD are both doable for me. Prices are all essentially the same. Reading through FT, booking W or V fare class might be the ticket to success. At the moment I see no PZ availability. Y category’s is too $$$. I’m wondering which flights out of SYD or MEL would be the safest bets for a successful GPU? Travel is on a Friday in October.
No guarantee obviously but there appears to he better availability on the flights to/from LAX and MEL seems to have more availability. Enough that for my most recent trip to SYD I thought about switching onto a LAX-MEL flight but the hassle of getting then to SYD was a little too much for me. My family is in SYD. I was upgraded for the return SYD-SFO.

So if it were me, and I had the choice, and wanted a better chance with the GPU i would fly via MEL.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
We are booked LAX-SYD-PER, changing from UAL to QFA with 1 1/2 hours in SYD to do it. Reading this thread makes me wonder whether this will even be possible. Could United make a change to get us on a later PER connection (original ticket booked on United)? Would it be worth doing/trying?

Also, if we miss the connection, is it true that neither QFA nor United is obligated to get us on a later flight, and that we'd have to buy a new ticket anyway?

We are in "Polaris." Do they really do a full meal service leaving LAX at nearly midnight?
One thing I'd like to add as another suggestion - and this is by no means meant to scare your as I agree that 1 1/2 hours is probably doable. The QF air-side transfer line can get quite long, especially when all the international flights are arriving early in the morning. I flew through in early August and had a tight connection (that ended up being delayed so it wasn't an issue). For those who know, the line went from the transfer lounge, outside, and basically back in the main terminal. It's typically pretty fast but by the time you get your bags and clear customers you could find yourself with less than an hour to transit. Consider the Air Train. It's only one stop from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal and about $6AUD per person. From when I left the customs hall I was in the domestic terminal in about 15 minutes using the train. I didn't have bags but this is a pretty reliable method if lines are long. I typically find lines at the domestic terminal much shorter.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh... last time I was at SYD, I turned left after exiting immigration and went to the VA transfer desk. They rechecked my bags, and was directed to a VA bus that was decidedly landside, clearing security in T2. Did I do something wrong?
No.

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
...Consider the Air Train. It's only one stop from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal and about $6AUD per person. From when I left the customs hall I was in the domestic terminal in about 15 minutes using the train. I didn't have bags but this is a pretty reliable method if lines are long. I typically find lines at the domestic terminal much shorter.
The train is the regular suburban train. Not a dedicated airport train
There is a also a free (landside) bus T1 to T2/T3
The QF T1 domestic check-in line/area can be very busy at ~06:30 to 08:00, but it keeps moving.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Yeah, I didn't mean it was a dedicated airport train rather the Air Link line. Can't miss it.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:49 pm

You can't have been there for a while. The VA bus now goes airside the same as QF. The exception is if you don't have your bags checked you have to take the T-Bus (which VA used to use & is now free) which does go via the public roads.

A better option is flying into MEL. The International and domestic terminals are in the same building and are within a few minutes walking distance to the domestic terminals, and MEL has no curfew restrictions.

Last edited by jmoorfoot; Aug 27, 2019 at 11:55 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:50 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Returning on SYD-LAX tomorrow. Website says parking at TBIT.

What is the process to get to my domestic connection on UA? How long will I take?
No checked bags. GE. Two hour connection to my next flight.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Returning on SYD-LAX tomorrow. Website says parking at TBIT.

What is the process to get to my domestic connection on UA? How long will I take?
... .
Once you clear customs, you will be street side
- you can walk out of TBIT, turn right and walk on the sidewalk to T7 and clear security -- note that may be some construction to walk around
or
-you can reclear security at TBIT and do the tunnels & escalators (see wiki of LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access or Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer for detailed directions)

It's probably about 3/4 mile via the sidewalk vs almost a mile via the airside method

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.