Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:44 am

Virgin Australia lounge MEL for you
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brit44
The NZ lounge tends to be very overcrowded and I don't find the spread of food to be very impressive and its disappointing that NZ is kicking Annie (UA)
out of the lounge as she has always been a tremendous help.
That probably depends on the time of day. When we flew SYD-SFO a few weeks ago, the NZ lounge was practically empty, so we had a large part of the lounge to ourselves. Our little kids had a great time roaming free, without bothering anyone.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
That probably depends on the time of day. When we flew SYD-SFO a few weeks ago, the NZ lounge was practically empty, so we had a large part of the lounge to ourselves. Our little kids had a great time roaming free, without bothering anyone.
This was my experience too
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Yes, we were on the 2:30pm flt to SFO from SYD a few weeks ago: no-one in the lounge. The lunch food was great. and we had a couple of hours to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, it looks as if the 787 SYD-SFO will leave at noon, so no more lunch. If it departs on time!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:35 pm

It's seasonal depending on daylight savings. During the Australian summer the LAX leaves at 11.30a and SFO at 2.30p, then 2 hours earlier during the US summer.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
At least 3 hours before the LAX flight, so you'll have 5 hours at least
Thanks for the replies.. Too easy, wake up and head on into the airport then.

brit44: Sad to hear about that (Annie) concur she was always awesome (I have visited the lounge before, on MEL-SYD-LAX, Just never boarded at SYD)
The NZ lounge is huge.. must have been some big birds leaving..

I am in BF so no F lounge for me..
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Thanks for the replies.. Too easy, wake up and head on into the airport then.

brit44: Sad to hear about that (Annie) concur she was always awesome (I have visited the lounge before, on MEL-SYD-LAX, Just never boarded at SYD)
The NZ lounge is huge.. must have been some big birds leaving..

I am in BF so no F lounge for me..
Annie is truly a gem. Many times I have hopped off a QF AKL-SYD flight to have Annie check me in at the lounge for SYD-LAX or SYD-SFO and then walk me over to SQ lounge.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
It's only ever been early in the morning on the way back from AKL via SYD to LAX or SFO. Its definitely busy around 830-10 from what I have seen. I haven't done other times as I take QF from SYD-AKL as the QF F lounge is wonderful.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:21 pm
PPM

787 to Melbourne

Has anyone flown the 787 from the West Coast to Melbourne? I just flew Qatar 787 business service from Doha to Cape Town, and it is configured differently, with only 4 seats across in business class 1-2-1. There was ample personal storage space and overall the flight was the most comfortable I think I've ever had (as a 2 MM flyer, 1K for 15+ years). I see that UAL's business service is 2-2-2, so obviously space will be more limited. Is there any personal space?

On another note, I realize how magnificent Qatar service is in ways that does not cost extra money (e.g., real sparkling water, expresso, great food and wine). For starters, the flight attendants did not use carts. They moved person to person and brought catering items from the galley. When the seat belt sign went on, no one went through the aisle waking people up saying "Seat Belts". The flight attendants carried flash lights and checked for certain seat belts were fastened. No announcements were made to disturb people's sleep. Every response was "my pleasure." And every question started with "May I offer...." or "May I assist you with...". This is just training and expectation. Why can't it be standard on United flights? Is it the unionization, poor enforcement on the part of the cabin supervisor? I know that I'm flying either Eithad or Qatar on any possible routes after this. The price is lower, the service is truly stellar and any extra time for connections in the ME is time well spent because the lounge areas are so superior.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
That about sums it up. I just flew qatar in business for what i normally would pay UA for a coach ticket with the hope of an upgrade. It takes some time getting accustomed to. The menu is mind-blowing as you can order anything you want at any time and there is just so much to chose from. I kind of miss the lashes on my back and prison matron environment over at UA ;-)
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I've flown two round trips in the last year LAX-MEL. I was happy with the service in BF, but take a look at the link below for seating advice:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-787-9-a.html
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
When we had to fly from LAS to MEL I tried to book the UA 787 from LAX to MEL using a mileage upgrade but even three months out they would not release any upgrade seats so we booked with Air NZ in their 777-300 premium economy and were very happy with the price, the service and the seats. It was well worth going thru AKL for us. Going over the Pacific my wife got up to use the lav in the middle of the night and found it occupied. When the door opened there was a ANZ FA who had just finished cleaning things up. You would never see that on a UA flight.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've flown LAX-MEL last year, and will do it again next month. Not much storage space in J, but the bulkhead seats have the most of the limited space. Food and service are pretty mediocre - best to eat first in the Star Alliance lounge at LAX, which is in TBIT, and requires clearing security twice, but is still worth it compared to the zoo that is the LAX United Club.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
QR ORD-MEL: $9,500 & 30+ hrs both ways
UA ORD-MEL: $7,800 & 29 hrs outbound/ 26 hrs return

It's easy to just say "I'd rather fly QR", but even when my company allows me to book J, price & time are most important, rather than storage, seating arrangements and what the FA says to me.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PPM
Has anyone flown the 787 from the West Coast to Melbourne? I just flew Qatar 787 business service from Doha to Cape Town, and it is configured differently, with only 4 seats across in business class 1-2-1. There was ample personal storage space and overall the flight was the most comfortable I think I've ever had (as a 2 MM flyer, 1K for 15+ years). I see that UAL's business service is 2-2-2, so obviously space will be more limited. Is there any personal space?
I have flown Air China 777-300ER J and American A321 transcon J. Those seats are similar to United 787 J seat. They are lie flat, and great for sleeping. Some storage is available in the slot under the PTV (big enough to store a tablet) and a small compartment near your right shoulder (big enough to store noise cancelling headphones plus a water bottle). Less private than 1-2-1 config but plenty of personal space. Book a seat in the middle section so you and your seatmate have aisle access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.