Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Thanks so much, this seems to be the right move. Right now the IAD-LAX options depart at 5:05 PM with a 3h06m layover and 3:05 PM with a 5h06m layover but looks like the March schedules aren't firmed up yet.
I've never regretted a longer layover ahead of the TPAC particularly coming off a transcon. You never know how weather will play with flight delays on a given day. LAX is infinitely better than SFO in that regard but IAD has its challenges on the other end.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by prestonh
I've never regretted a longer layover ahead of the TPAC particularly coming off a transcon. You never know how weather will play with flight delays on a given day. LAX is infinitely better than SFO in that regard but IAD has its challenges on the other end.
Sounds like a good plan, can allow time to visit In N Out Burger and also visit the Star Alliance lounge at TBIT.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
United gets new checking in Melbourne (MEL)

so I have this flight down to a science until they move the check in desk

usuLly united has checkin B or C , both are almost at the border of terminal 1 and 2

get dropped off at the terminal 1/2 area and you are sorted

2 weeks ago united got a new kiosk checkin in O, O is located on the border of terminal 2/3 so I had to back track to find O

nl real drama but lost my level of airport efficiency badge for today
Ilver Kris lounge is empty and vodka is free pour for morning bloody Mary’s
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Ilver Kris lounge is empty and vodka is free pour for morning bloody Mary’s
That would appear to be the case...

Thanks for the heads up!
flybit likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
The flight is delayed, the vodka is there to help my typing. Oh boy!
EWR764 and narvik like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Looked around for a consolidated Australia thread and came across this so tacking on here; mods feel free to move as appropriate.

Wondering about peoples’ experiences with loads to SYD lately? I’m flying over this week and the Y cabin looks super empty, especially ex LAX. Will this likely reflect reality or are there just heaps of people without seat assignments?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WingnutSYD
Looked around for a consolidated Australia thread and came across this so tacking on here; mods feel free to move as appropriate.

Wondering about peoples’ experiences with loads to SYD lately? I’m flying over this week and the Y cabin looks super empty, especially ex LAX. Will this likely reflect reality or are there just heaps of people without seat assignments?
I'd be surprised if it was empty, especially at this time of year. I flew LAX<>SYD a couple years back and it was packed both ways (there and back).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:01 am

If I look for a GPU upgrade on ORD-SYD-ORD or ORD-MEL-ORD, I only see the waitlisted option. But if I look directly from LAX or IAH, I see plenty of GPUs available on the same dates. Is there a way to book the ORD trip versus getting two separate tickets?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blue2007
If I look for a GPU upgrade on ORD-SYD-ORD or ORD-MEL-ORD, I only see the waitlisted option. But if I look directly from LAX or IAH, I see plenty of GPUs available on the same dates. Is there a way to book the ORD trip versus getting two separate tickets?
you need availability on all segments for it to show it. However, upgrades clear on a segment by segment basis. If LAX or IAH says it’s available, it pretty much means the TPAC flights have availability, but the ex-ORD segment doesn’t.

In in that case, if you are ok with potentially doing ORD-LAX in Y, with the SYD/MEL flight clearing at booking, then just book it. You’ll be on the waitlist for the domestic segment, and it’s still possible to clear. If looking for upgrade availability, it’s always best to check each segment individually to see what is really there or not, and what wil clear, and that will help you to make a decision.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

you need availability on all segments for it to show it. However, upgrades clear on a segment by segment basis. If LAX or IAH says it’s available, it pretty much means the TPAC flights have availability, but the ex-ORD segment doesn’t.

In in that case, if you are ok with potentially doing ORD-LAX in Y, with the SYD/MEL flight clearing at booking, then just book it. You’ll be on the waitlist for the domestic segment, and it’s still possible to clear. If looking for upgrade availability, it’s always best to check each segment individually to see what is really there or not, and what wil clear, and that will help you to make a decision.
ORD-LAX is ok in Y, the other one is the big deal. It's also weird cause R shows 0 when booking the full trip, but shows R4 when looking at the individual LAX-MEL or SYD
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by blue2007
ORD-LAX is ok in Y, the other one is the big deal. It's also weird cause R shows 0 when booking the full trip, but shows R4 when looking at the individual LAX-MEL or SYD
This is normal - there is no R for the full trip. The per-segment clearing of upgrades only applies to R (and PN), and UA hasn't decided it's worth their time to change how R displays in Expert Mode (since every other fare class it doesn't matter if it's available on one segment only).

If you book and apply a GPU it will clear on the TPAC which has R when searched alone.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
If you book and apply a GPU it will clear on the TPAC which has R when searched alone.
The one exception to this is if the flight is booked as a direct flight with a stop on the same flight number, in which case you need to have availability all the way through (and/or split it into 2 separate flights).

This used to be relevant for ORD-SYD as that used to be a direct route for UA863 (via SFO), however they stopped using the 863 number for the ORD-SFO leg a few years ago. Not sure if they still do it on any of the other SYD/MEL flights.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:58 pm

This is normal - there is no R for the full trip. The per-segment clearing of upgrades only applies to R (and PN), and UA hasn't decided it's worth their time to change how R displays in Expert Mode (since every other fare class it doesn't matter if it's available on one segment only).

Thank you, guys! Very helpful!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Apologies if this is the wrong place, as this is only tangentially United-related...

I was looking to clarify some things about making D/I and I/D connections in Australia (let's use SYD as an example). I know that domestic and int'l are basically two separate airports. Say I am flying SFO-SYD-BNE on a single United ticket, with SFO-SYD in UA J and SYD-BNE in QF Y (or really any carrier but QF seems to have the best service). I will always need to reclaim my bags to go through customs (I assume), and haul them myself to check in with QF. What effective baggage allowance do I get on the SYD-BNE segment? Do I just have bags tagged to BNE (according to my UA 1K in J allowance) that QF will scan? Do I have to conform to the QF domestic Y allowance? The QF Y allowance for SFO-BNE?

And then same questions for the return journey, checking bags in BNE. I assume I also have to manually cart them around at SYD, or is this transfer online? And what allowance, if flying UA J overwater?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Apologies if this is the wrong place, as this is only tangentially United-related...

I was looking to clarify some things about making D/I and I/D connections in Australia (let's use SYD as an example). I know that domestic and int'l are basically two separate airports. Say I am flying SFO-SYD-BNE on a single United ticket, with SFO-SYD in UA J and SYD-BNE in QF Y (or really any carrier but QF seems to have the best service). I will always need to reclaim my bags to go through customs (I assume), and haul them myself to check in with QF. What effective baggage allowance do I get on the SYD-BNE segment? Do I just have bags tagged to BNE (according to my UA 1K in J allowance) that QF will scan? Do I have to conform to the QF domestic Y allowance? The QF Y allowance for SFO-BNE?

And then same questions for the return journey, checking bags in BNE. I assume I also have to manually cart them around at SYD, or is this transfer online? And what allowance, if flying UA J overwater?
Yes, claim & recheck. Some variability on baggage allowance based on elite status as well, just look that up with each airline. For QF carryon, weight limit is 7kg (15lbs), usually enforced. SYD is a pretty easy airport to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.