Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by JLiebo92
Can anyone confirm if the bulkhead row (specifically seat 7F) provides enough space to get out to the aisle without making the persons occupying seats 7D or 7E get up?
As long as you're nimble: yes. I usually do it by holding onto the bulkhead. It's not a spacious as some of the 738s, but still quite a lot of space.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
I'm a lowly Silver that snagged 7E tomorrow but I would really like to have some under seat storage. I saw some earlier posts that said some A320s do not have the cut out in the bulkhead for storage. Does anyone have any clarification on that and how I can figure it out?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
I'm a lowly Silver that snagged 7E tomorrow but I would really like to have some under seat storage. I saw some earlier posts that said some A320s do not have the cut out in the bulkhead for storage. Does anyone have any clarification on that and how I can figure it out?
I can't think of the last time I was on a 320 where the Y bulkhead went all the way to the floor.

You will likely have plenty of room to store something in front of you and still have some legroom to boot.
ShikaSenbei likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Originally Posted by mmayer
I can't think of the last time I was on a 320 where the Y bulkhead went all the way to the floor.

You will likely have plenty of room to store something in front of you and still have some legroom to boot.
Thanks for the reassurance!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
Thanks for the reassurance!
The 'wall' is not mated to the fuselage or floor, so no chance being cut off from storage. If you manage A or F in row 7, you can even pass notes to the person in row 3 in the gap near the window.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by mmayer
... and still have some legroom to boot.
...and even 2 legs and 2 boots!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:05 am

Any trouble with a standard 21" roller carryon bag stowing up overhead? It fits in the test bins at the gate.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Any trouble with a standard 21" roller carryon bag stowing up overhead? It fits in the test bins at the gate.
Not at all. Airbus bins are fine for that bag.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Hi all, I just booked my first UA trip as a MP Premier Gold (via status match as a Delta Gold), from EWR to NAS in early April. Since I can pick E+ seats now (an improvement over DL), I'm torn between 7F and 21C/D. I'm normally a religious aisle seat flyer, especially if it's in an exit row. On the seat map, though, it looks like there's plenty of room in front of row 7, despite the window seat location. Is there a bulkhead between row 7 and FC, and if so, does it offer a lot of room? As far as legroom on the A32 goes, would I be better off in row 7 or the exit row aisle seats in row 21? Couldnt find many helpful photos or videos online and Seat Guru was predictably worthless. Thanks for any advice you can give to a newbie UA MP Gold!

One other question, does anyone (as a similarly lowly Gold) ever get an upgrade on this route? There are currently 5 open seats, which is almost half of the cabin. Just noticed how tiny the FC cabin is on this bird, yikes! Basically the equivalent to DL's dreadful A319...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Hi all, I just booked my first UA trip as a MP Premier Gold (via status match as a Delta Gold), from EWR to NAS in early April. Since I can pick E+ seats now (an improvement over DL), I'm torn between 7F and 21C/D. I'm normally a religious aisle seat flyer, especially if it's in an exit row. On the seat map, though, it looks like there's plenty of room in front of row 7, despite the window seat location. Is there a bulkhead between row 7 and FC, and if so, does it offer a lot of room? As far as legroom on the A32 goes, would I be better off in row 7 or the exit row aisle seats in row 21? Couldnt find many helpful photos or videos online and Seat Guru was predictably worthless. Thanks for any advice you can give to a newbie UA MP Gold! ...
There is a bulkhead and a bit of a cutout for feet but I would still aviod 7F (cutout does not reach the F seat ) if legspace is important.
More you query to the UA forum A320 seat thread where you will find more opinions.

does anyone (as a similarly lowly Gold) ever get an upgrade on this route? There are currently 5 open seats, which is almost half of the cabin. Just noticed how tiny the FC cabin is on this bird, yikes! Basically the equivalent to DL's dreadful A319...
NAS is a a route that gets lots of paid F. Modweek there might be a chance of an upgrade but upgrades for Gold are not common.

As for the size of the F cabin, UA will be changing that next year to 16F
United Adding 1600 Premium Seats -- 763, A319/A320, CRJ550(CRJ700)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hi all, I just booked my first UA trip as a MP Premier Gold (via status match as a Delta Gold), from EWR to NAS in early April. Since I can pick E+ seats now (an improvement over DL), I'm torn between 7F and 21C/D. I'm normally a religious aisle seat flyer, especially if it's in an exit row. On the seat map, though, it looks like there's plenty of room in front of row 7, despite the window seat location. Is there a bulkhead between row 7 and FC, and if so, does it offer a lot of room? As far as legroom on the A32 goes, would I be better off in row 7 or the exit row aisle seats in row 21? Couldnt find many helpful photos or videos online and Seat Guru was predictably worthless. Thanks for any advice you can give to a newbie UA MP Gold!
Bulkhead versus exit row is very much a matter of personal preference. There is going to be slightly more absolute room in the reclining exit row, but the bulkhead lets you actually see something other than the wing out the window, deplane faster, and get better selection from the food cart. 7 A/F would be my first choice of seat on the 320 by a huge margin, but that's mostly about preference.

I would recommend trying both and deciding for yourself.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
7 A/F would be my first choice of seat on the 320 by a huge margin, but that's mostly about preference.
Same here. I like to get off the aircraft fast.

These used to be the best economy seats in the UA (domestic) fleet, before UA ruined this cabin with the horrible slimlines.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you are a reclining type person, I find it better to be in row 7 as reclining into an E+ person behind you is not as bad as doing it to the person in the row behind 21 (regular E). You also get your seat kicked a lot less in both 7 and 20 vs. 21. But that's just one of my pet peeves

PS - I rarely recline unless it is a red eye.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is a bulkhead and a bit of a cutout for feet but I would still aviod 7F (cutout does not reach the F seat ) if legspace is important.
More you query to the UA forum A320 seat thread where you will find more opinions.
It has been a LONG time since I've flown on an A320 (lately all boeings, embraers, and crjs). It looks like seatguru and UA seat maps are stating that there is no floor storage for row 7 on the A320. Is this a new thing? Did they replace the old bulkheads with plenty of space to those bulkheads - similar to those on some 737s - which reach much lower to the floor and have maybe 4-6" of clearance?

7A is open on both my upcoming flights and want to make sure I know what I'm getting. Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It has been a LONG time since I've flown on an A320 (lately all boeings, embraers, and crjs). It looks like seatguru and UA seat maps are stating that there is no floor storage for row 7 on the A320. Is this a new thing? Did they replace the old bulkheads with plenty of space to those bulkheads - similar to those on some 737s - which reach much lower to the floor and have maybe 4-6" of clearance?

7A is open on both my upcoming flights and want to make sure I know what I'm getting. Thanks!
The only downside of 7A is that if I'm on your flight, I want that seat.

And yes, plenty of storage space - and leg room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.