Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38 and the width is 20.5. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Old May 15, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
If either the a319 (3 rows of first) or a320, avoid the first row. Much less foot space
Old May 15, 2015, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up - I know Delta has very limited foot room on their a320 bulkheads in first but I had heard that United offered much better.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Row 2 is the best choice on the A320.

UA does not practice FEBO. It's either by status, front to back, or some hybrid depending on what crew you get.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBHinc
Hello,

I recently booked a flight on United from IAH to BWI. The aircraft is an a320 with 3 rows of first. I was curious as to whether or not anyone had recently flown on this type of aircraft in the past and knew which were the best seats for a rather tall individual (myself).

I was also curious as to the meal service. This flight is in the morning and serves breakfast. I have heard horror stories regarding the breakfast offerings of United; however, I have also heard that they have made significant improvements. Does anyone have any recent experience with United's domestic breakfast. What's more, does United practice the FEBO (first even, back odd) method when taking breakfast orders?
This thread will give you links to about all the UA aircraft and will give lots of info on what seats are good, what seats are bad. May have to do some digging in the threads but most of the info is there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html
Old May 15, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LBHinc
Hello,

I recently booked a flight on United from IAH to BWI. The aircraft is an a320 with 3 rows of first. I was curious as to whether or not anyone had recently flown on this type of aircraft in the past and knew which were the best seats for a rather tall individual (myself). ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a320.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nel-9-etc.html
Old May 15, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Row 2 is the best choice on the A320.

UA does not practice FEBO. It's either by status, front to back, or some hybrid depending on what crew you get.
Great, thanks. I believe I am in row 3 currently which makes me worry that they will be out of decent options by the time they get to us for meal orders. Hopefully something in row 2 will open up.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Avoid row 1 for leg room issues. Avoid row 3 since if an A319 is swapped in you'll lose your seat. That leaves row 2.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and I quite enjoy the bulkhead (aisle seats at least since you can stretch into the galley) since they've been reconfigured. I find it better than the seat in front of you recined into your face.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I am tall for a woman, at 5' 11". I also like the bulkhead. I care more about no one in front of me reclining onto my knees!
Old May 15, 2015, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You will get widely differing answers to this question because it depends so much on personal preferences.

I like the A/B bulkhead seats, but not E/F.

I also like Row 3 because there's no one behind you. Although there is a risk you'll be first to be downgraded if the aircraft is downgauged.

Row 2 would be my last choice.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Kacee
You will get widely differing answers to this question because it depends so much on personal preferences.

I like the A/B bulkhead seats, but not E/F.

I also like Row 3 because there's no one behind you. Although there is a risk you'll be first to be downgraded if the aircraft is downgauged.

Row 2 would be my last choice.
^ agreed - 1A is my preferred on the 320. You won't have anyone leaning back into you and you're almost guaranteed your choice of meals (obviously dependent upon how many GS/1ks are onboard).
Old May 15, 2015, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by JAaronT
How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and I quite enjoy the bulkhead (aisle seats at least since you can stretch into the galley) since they've been reconfigured. I find it better than the seat in front of you recined into your face.
Originally Posted by sim510
I am tall for a woman, at 5' 11". I also like the bulkhead. I care more about no one in front of me reclining onto my knees!
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
^ agreed - 1A is my preferred on the 320. You won't have anyone leaning back into you and you're almost guaranteed your choice of meals (obviously dependent upon how many GS/1ks are onboard).
Totally agree. And 1A over 1B for me. You can get out without disturbing your seatmate.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Someone claimed that row 3 on the A-320 had a better degree of recline than 1+2. Any truth to that?
Old May 31, 2015, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Freebird
Someone claimed that row 3 on the A-320 had a better degree of recline than 1+2. Any truth to that?
Actually many have claimed Row 3 on A320 has less recline -- I have not notice a significant difference. What can be an issue is the coats hanging behind Row 3 that could if enough restrict the recline.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:14 pm

Taking a redeye on an a320 and can either take 1A or 3A. I know row 2 is the best, but that's not an option. I am 5'9", is the bulkhead really that cramped? I'd prefer that if not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.