Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:42 am

Flew on an A320 MCO-DEN last Thursday (7/25)in F for the first time with me in 3A and my friend next to me in 3B...sorry I don't remember the ship number, but that was an extremely disappointed in the F cabin and the seats. I found the lack of amenities (no power outlet, no seatback IFE, no wifi) disappointing and the seats themselves to be uncomfortable. I was also quite bothered with some service lapses such as coach passengers coming forward to use the F Lav, and running out of hot breakfasts on a sunrise transcon (I was only given the option of cereal and fruit). Thank goodness I was flying on an award ticket, because although I consider it to have been a waste of miles, I would have really been upset had I actually paid $ for the seat. I'll probably be avoiding the Airbuses altogether until the fleet has had its cabins updated, but if forced to take one, I see no reason to pay extra for F. The extra seat width isn't worth it to me.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tjh8402
Flew on an A320 MCO-DEN last Thursday (7/25)in F for the first time with me in 3A and my friend next to me in 3B...sorry I don't remember the ship number, but that was an extremely disappointed in the F cabin and the seats. I found the lack of amenities (no power outlet, no seatback IFE, no wifi) disappointing and the seats themselves to be uncomfortable. I was also quite bothered with some service lapses such as coach passengers coming forward to use the F Lav, and running out of hot breakfasts on a sunrise transcon (I was only given the option of cereal and fruit). Thank goodness I was flying on an award ticket, because although I consider it to have been a waste of miles, I would have really been upset had I actually paid $ for the seat. I'll probably be avoiding the Airbuses altogether until the fleet has had its cabins updated, but if forced to take one, I see no reason to pay extra for F. The extra seat width isn't worth it to me.
Welcome to domestic F. Most of the UA domestic fleet is no better.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Ah yes, the ex-TED thing. So, does this affect the 1A recommendation vis-a-vis legroom?
On ex-Ted, there is no cutout but the bulkhead wall is a wee bit further forward. I actually have no problem with these and actually find it easier to get around my 1B seatmate because it's very easy to use the wall for support when stepping in front of them.

It should be noted that on these aircraft 1E/F is no different than 1A/B since the distance of the seats to the wall is the same on both sides. 1E/F benefit the most in this case since they gain a bit of extra room.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I was also quite bothered with some service lapses such as coach passengers coming forward to use the F Lav
How dare they! Such interlopers!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
On ex-Ted, there is no cutout but the bulkhead wall is a wee bit further forward. I actually have no problem with these and actually find it easier to get around my 1B seatmate because it's very easy to use the wall for support when stepping in front of them.

It should be noted that on these aircraft 1E/F is no different than 1A/B since the distance of the seats to the wall is the same on both sides. 1E/F benefit the most in this case since they gain a bit of extra room.
1A was definitely the right call. Thanks, all!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
How dare they! Such interlopers!
I know its #firstworldproblems, but still, as someone who regularly flies in coach, you won't ever catch me using the first class lav. not having to wait on the lav because you're sharing it with 180 people is one of those small niceties that help make the first class experience, esp since the hard product was such a let down. Not having status, if I'm in First, its cause I'm paying a premium in either cash or miles, and I'm doing it because I want something a lot more special than I normally get when flying. One of the friends I took the trip with flew home on DL in F and he said in there were several announcements reminding passengers that the F class lav was for customers in that class only.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

I know its #firstworldproblems, but still, as someone who regularly flies in coach, you won't ever catch me using the first class lav. not having to wait on the lav because you're sharing it with 180 people is one of those small niceties that help make the first class experience, esp since the hard product was such a let down.
As somebody who almost always flies in F, the idea of my lav going empty just so it might be available to my every whim, while a dozen or more people are queued up for the back lavs after a long bout of turbulence forces them to remain in their seats, makes me feel like a robber baron making the lower class suffer for something that hardly even benefits me. Just my point of view.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:28 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
...the F class lav was for customers in that class only.
Except when the cabin crew are doing meal and beverage service and the carts are blocking the single aisle?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Airbus A320 best economy plus seats?

I have a flight coming up on an A320 and am wondering the best economy plus seats to go for? I took the first row isle as its closest to the front (7D), but I am wondering if row 21 may be better since its an exit row on the wing? Any advice would be appreciated? On my connecting flight I got upgraded to first as silver, but this second flight I'm third on the upgrade wait list, so I am not too optimistic.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t=seating+a320
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Red259
I have a flight coming up on an A320 and am wondering the best economy plus seats to go for? I took the first row isle as its closest to the front (7D), but I am wondering if row 21 may be better since its an exit row on the wing? Any advice would be appreciated? On my connecting flight I got upgraded to first as silver, but this second flight I'm third on the upgrade wait list, so I am not too optimistic.
7A or 7F. IMO these are the best E seats in the entire fleet. You have probably 48" pitch, there is a hard bulkhead so no recline from the F seat in front of you, AND the bulkhead is cut out at the bottom so you can store bags under said F seat. These seats are arguably preferable to the F cabin, and certainly better than 1 E/F, which are probably the worst F seats in the fleet.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
7A or 7F. IMO these are the best E seats in the entire fleet. You have probably 48" pitch, there is a hard bulkhead so no recline from the F seat in front of you, AND the bulkhead is cut out at the bottom so you can store bags under said F seat. These seats are arguably preferable to the F cabin, and certainly better than 1 E/F, which are probably the worst F seats in the fleet.
I took 7F. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:30 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Center footwell in first on an A320

Interested in people's opinions...

In First in the front of an A320, there are two seats on each side, but the anchors that hold the seats down leave three gaps. That means you of one gap on the right and left and a gap between the two passengers. Is it ok to put a bag in that gap or it is violating the other person's "space"?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by IAD22066
Interested in people's opinions...

In First in the front of an A320, there are two seats on each side, but the anchors that hold the seats down leave three gaps. That means you of one gap on the right and left and a gap between the two passengers. Is it ok to put a bag in that gap or it is violating the other person's "space"?
It's like that on the 757 as well... and IMO no it's not ok to just take that space for yourself..half of it belongs to your seat mate. But people do it ALL the time. I don't mind as much if there's enough foot space for me elsewhere. But sometimes because of equipment boxes under the seat some of my foot room is within that middle section (on my side). I've gotten accustomed to putting my foot in that space before my seatmate arrives if I want to preserve it for myself.. if someone sees you're already using your half of the middle with your foot they won't put their bag there. I've only asked someone to move their bag a handful of times in a friendly way...generally people will see that they're actually taking up some of your room they're happy to oblige.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
IIRC, the aisle seat has the smaller "third gap" in front of it. My laptop bag won't fit in it, and I never think twice about putting it in the center gap. Conversely, when I'm seated at the window, I have no problems with my seatmate putting their stuff in that spot. That center gap, although it's off-center, is really neutral ground. Anyone can use it, but I think deference should be given to the person on the aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.