Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: economyplusfan
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by star_world
Don't forget there's a natural bias here against change, especially if said change occurred post-merger I haven't flown on the new seats UA has installed yet, but I have flown extensively on flights with the less-comfortable version LH has and thought it was a slight improvement over the old, worn seats. Certainly not even remotely as bad as some people here are intimating.

So form your own opinion of course, but always take complaints you read here with a pinch (or ten) of salt.
I would say 9 out of 10 would say the seats on LH are worse than UA's current seat. I have had the joy to fly in those seats several times, and they are awful. Even WN's new seat, which is awful, is better than LH seat. I haven't flown the comfort package, so I won't judge yet, but are you insisting that the new LH seats are more comfortable than the old seats on the Airbus?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I would say 9 out of 10 would say the seats on LH are worse than UA's current seat. I have had the joy to fly in those seats several times, and they are awful. Even WN's new seat, which is awful, is better than LH seat. I haven't flown the comfort package, so I won't judge yet, but are you insisting that the new LH seats are more comfortable than the old seats on the Airbus?
My preference is for a seat that has some support, so you don't sink into it like a couch. The older seats that you find on the UA A319/A320s (and LH's short-haul Airbuses for that matter) have long since lost any support that they used to have - they are very well "worn".

So by that measure, yes - I would give the LH short-haul seats a slight edge than the older seats, and I am hopeful that the upgraded UA seat will be better than that.

Recaro is a reputable company and their name is very well known in this industry. On the basis that they have invested hundreds of thousands of hours in the development of these seats, I'm fairly confident that they have done as good a job as possible given the weight requirements. As I said above, the natural tendency here is to assume the worst with any change, so a newcomer to this board could be fooled into assuming an awful "reality" which is much more likely to be based on bitterness than actual reality
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by star_world
My preference is for a seat that has some support, so you don't sink into it like a couch. The older seats that you find on the UA A319/A320s (and LH's short-haul Airbuses for that matter) have long since lost any support that they used to have - they are very well "worn".

So by that measure, yes - I would give the LH short-haul seats a slight edge than the older seats, and I am hopeful that the upgraded UA seat will be better than that.

Recaro is a reputable company and their name is very well known in this industry. On the basis that they have invested hundreds of thousands of hours in the development of these seats, I'm fairly confident that they have done as good a job as possible given the weight requirements. As I said above, the natural tendency here is to assume the worst with any change, so a newcomer to this board could be fooled into assuming an awful "reality" which is much more likely to be based on bitterness than actual reality
Let me start off with saying, I love Recaro, and that's the car seat of choice for my children. Recaro designed this seat to be safe and to sell to an airline. I really don't think they had too much comfort in mind.

It's your opinion so I won't try to change your mind. In my opinion, and nothing to do with merger or pre merger, but the LH seats are just awful. My tooshy and back don't do well in those seats after a 2 hour flight.

The old WN seats were the best and the original Airbus seats, were second. The Airbus seats were in great condition and they didn't need to be changed, but the big picture is money.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If he is, he's the only one. The LH seats are awful, and unsuitable for anything over 2 hours.

The old WN seats were the best and the original Airbus seats, were second. The Airbus seats were in great condition and they didn't need to be changed, but the big picture is money.
Exactly. Anyone who claims that this change was made because Airbus seats needed to be changed because they are worn out is operating in a different reality.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GRYFFIN
I'm a very infrequent flier and a recovering fearful flyer. I'm looking for advice on choosing a comfortable seat.
If you are a fearful flyer, I wouldn't advise sitting in an exit row. Do you feel confident in your ability to assist in an emergency?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:48 pm

I'm 6 feet tall and drink a lot of water (read: frequent bathroom trips). Travelling on an ex-TED A320 for a four-hour day flight. I like looking out the window. I don't really care what meal I get.

FT: If you were me, would you choose 1A or 2B?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I'm 6 feet tall and drink a lot of water (read: frequent bathroom trips). Travelling on an ex-TED A320 for a four-hour day flight. I like looking out the window. I don't really care what meal I get.

If the window is more important than annoying your seat mate, take 1A. If you prefer convenience, 2B.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

I'm 6'1 and a window person as well.

1A, no question about it.

You get the window, you get the cutout on the floor in front of you and no one reclines into your space. A simple please and thank you to 1B upon exiting and entering your seat is all that should be necessary on your part or expected on theirs.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent

You get the window, you get the cutout on the floor in front of you and no one reclines into your space. A simple please and thank you to 1B upon exiting and entering your seat is all that should be necessary on your part or expected on theirs.
I honestly agree 110% with you.

But I know if I have to get up multiple times in a 4 hour trip - the please and thank you may get a little old. Still, it's your right and privilege to sit in 1A, it's an excellent seat.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I honestly agree 110% with you.

But I know if I have to get up multiple times in a 4 hour trip - the please and thank you may get a little old. Still, it's your right and privilege to sit in 1A, it's an excellent seat.
Well, you guys have convinced me. 1A it is. Thanks.

Any chance the cutout is big enough for a small computer bag?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:52 pm

Well, you guys have convinced me. 1A it is. Thanks.

Any chance the cutout is big enough for a small computer bag?
Since ex-Ted don't even have the cutout, I'd say "no". However, I have a mid-sized Tumi laptop bag I will get down and put under the window and still have plenty of room for my feet in front of me. I just keep the bag against the sidewall and there's plenty of room - that's the benefit of the Airbus, there's more room between you and the sidewall than there is on a 737.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Since ex-Ted don't even have the cutout, I'd say "no". However, I have a mid-sized Tumi laptop bag I will get down and put under the window and still have plenty of room for my feet in front of me. I just keep the bag against the sidewall and there's plenty of room - that's the benefit of the Airbus, there's more room between you and the sidewall than there is on a 737.
Good point, I missed the x-T part, but you're right about the sidewall.

Maybe you know this, SFO 1K, I asked upthread somewhere about determining by aircraft if it's one of the 320's that has the cutouts on the 1EF side - are you familiar with those? To me they are like Bigfoot, I've heard of them, but never seen one.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:03 pm

Good point, I missed the x-T part, but you're right about the sidewall.

Maybe you know this, SFO 1K, I asked upthread somewhere about determining by aircraft if it's one of the 320's that has the cutouts on the 1EF side - are you familiar with those? To me they are like Bigfoot, I've heard of them, but never seen one.
Sorry - I haven't found a magic decoder ring for that one in any of my crackerjack boxes (or my mixed nut ramekins).
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:45 pm

Ah yes, the ex-TED thing. So, does this affect the 1A recommendation vis-a-vis legroom?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ah yes, the ex-TED thing. So, does this affect the 1A recommendation vis-a-vis legroom?
Good question. If it's like 1E/F STAY AWAY. Possibly the worst F seats in the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.