Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 16, 21, 3:32 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: economyplusfan
Wiki Link
A320 12F/42E+/96E-

There is now only one configuration of the United A320:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Standard A320 (320)
SeatGuru A320 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A320.php

Airbus A320 Mainline Configuration

FIRST CLASS

The mainline configuration A320 has 12 First Class seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38 and the width is 20.5. Seats 1A and 1B have a small cutout at foot level in the bulkhead that gives you a much-appreciated two inches of extra space. 1E and 1F lack this cutout and as such feels tight, but not like the 757. While you cannot stretch out in Row 1, you can cross your legs, in general. The seat recline on the A320 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

The standard 320 have cloth seats; the converted TED aircraft have leather seats.

Note - at one time, UA A320s used to have tremendous legroom in Row 1 - we're talking into the upper 40 inches, but the planes had their seating reconfigured and now seem to be closer to the stated pitch.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS ROWS 7-21
Rows 7, 20, and 21 are the best on the plane, hands down, in terms of legroom. Each is well into the mid-40's, if not more.
Row 7 has a cutout under the first-class divider, which allows bag storage and/or additional legroom. Bag storage is possible even for seats 7C and 7D.
Row 21 is an exit row and Row 20 has additional legroom.
Unfortunately, all have armrests that extend to the seat cushion to hold the tray tables. However, the extra one inch of seat width the Airbus Twins have over Boeing narrowbodies (18" vs. 17") helps here. Rows 8 and 10 have 36" pitch. Also note that Row 20 has limited recline so as to not impede egress through the second Window Exit (Row 21).

ECONOMY CLASS ROWS 22-38

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating advice on the Airbus A319, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rbus-a319.html

Related threads:
Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 29, 21, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
+1 and I just booked EWR-PHX at other than 7D/E, E+ is completely empty. We normally book aisle seats across from each other so nobody has to sit in a middle and based on the posts in this thread, I am avoiding 21 C/D for concerns about seat comfort.

Anyone here disagree that a regular E+ aisle seat is more comfortable than an exit row aisle seat?

Thanks!
7D/E holds are across the fleet and open up a few days before departure.

I personally don't detect much/any difference in seat comfort of standard Y/E+ seats so, given my height, do prefer and will select the 21 C/D exit aisle seats when flying with my wife on UA's A320s.

David
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Dec 16, 21, 9:32 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
UA A320 First Class Row 1 seats (leg room)

I have an upcoming flight and it looks like I will get upgraded. The upgrade would likely be to a seat in row 1 on an A320 (and likely the window seat). Seat guru has these seats marked green, stating they have extra leg room. My recollection is that -- even if there is an indentation in the wall in front of the seats, the leg room is awful (especially for someone my height: 6'4). If the wall did not come down to the floor the story would be different in terms of leg room. Can anyone let me know about leg room on row 1 of a United A320? Thanks.

John H.
Old Dec 17, 21, 2:34 am

Programs: Fmr. UA 1K
Originally Posted by jh6000 View Post
I have an upcoming flight and it looks like I will get upgraded. The upgrade would likely be to a seat in row 1 on an A320 (and likely the window seat). Seat guru has these seats marked green, stating they have extra leg room. My recollection is that -- even if there is an indentation in the wall in front of the seats, the leg room is awful (especially for someone my height: 6'4). If the wall did not come down to the floor the story would be different in terms of leg room. Can anyone let me know about leg room on row 1 of a United A320? Thanks.

John H.
Row 1's legroom is superb. Way better than any other seat in F.
Old Dec 17, 21, 8:35 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum

John H.
I am 6'4" as well and look for flights on the A320 and always grab the first row if I can (I buy P fares). The leg room in row 1 on the UA A320 is far better than any other UA single aisle plane that I have flown. Better than any other AA and DL plane I have flown as well. I can put my legs straight out. 1E or 1B on the A320 are the best single aisle plane F seats in the fleet IMHO.
Old Dec 17, 21, 8:40 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

John H.
Originally Posted by N107UA View Post
Row 1's legroom is superb. Way better than any other seat in F.
Without a doubt. I was in 1A last month on an A320 from SBA-SFO and it's far better than a 739 or MAX.
Old Dec 17, 21, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OP may be recalling the 320 layout prior to installation of the new seats. In that configuration, legroom was more limited in Row 1, particularly on the C/D side of the aisle.
SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Feb 13, 22, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
I'm now a lover of 7A. I also sat in 1A. This is one of the few planes where I do not wish to get upgraded. I could stretch out my legs completely in 7A(thanks to the opening under the partition. In 1A, I couldn't completely stretch my legs. (unless they move the bulk head forward another 8 or 10 inches?
Do you think it's worth waitlisting with Plus Points (seems unlikely to clear, but you never know), or keeping seats in the bulkhead or exit row?
Old Feb 13, 22, 8:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mc286 View Post
Do you think it's worth waitlisting with Plus Points (seems unlikely to clear, but you never know), or keeping seats in the bulkhead or exit row?
Very individual decision --
  • Your size -- height, width, ..
  • Length of the flight
  • Need for work space
  • More padded seat
  • Alcohol drinker
  • Need luggage allowance
  • Food -- last on my list of reasons
Old Feb 14, 22, 12:10 am

Thanks, WineCountryUA. Im less concerned about the width of the seat (or food or alcohol) than the legroom. It sounded from some of the earlier posts like Row 1 would be great, but 2 and 3 might not be as good as the bulkhead. I didnt think about the padding.
Old Feb 14, 22, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
When I've had a row 7 seat, I'm not even wildly happy to get a CPU - I'm almost indifferent. Though typically this has been on flights <3 hours.
mc286 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 22, 1:45 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, UA Gold, Wyndham Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Hey everyone, I have selected 21F on my LAX-IAD flight this coming Sunday. No seats available in Row 7 when I booked. Any thoughts on this seat? This is the exit row window seat.
Old Feb 23, 22, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Longboater View Post
Hey everyone, I have selected 21F on my LAX-IAD flight this coming Sunday. No seats available in Row 7 when I booked. Any thoughts on this seat? This is the exit row window seat.
More legroom and it reclines. Good choice!

David
Old Feb 23, 22, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Perfectly acceptable for any length of flight. I always do 21A/F over the equivalent seat in row 7.
Old Feb 23, 22, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Exit Row Window seats can get a little chilly for some
Old Feb 23, 22, 7:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, UA Gold, Wyndham Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Exit Row Window seats can get a little chilly for some
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be coming straight from Redondo Beach but I'll be changing into proper clothing during the flight for Alexandria, VA, where I live as I'll be going from temperatures near 70 to close to the freezing point when I arrive after Midnight.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. Also, another question, unrelated topic, I know I can pre-order snacks/drinks but several items are listed as unavailable including Classic Beef Butter Burger with Cheddar and Kindred Selection Cheese Tray, the items I was most interested in. I have been able to order these items on the flight before. So are these items really sold out or just first come first serve on the plane? I recognise being in exit row is a bit further back and these items, if still available, could be sold out by the time they get to the exit row.

Last edited by Longboater; Feb 23, 22 at 7:39 pm

Search this Thread