FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A319 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1089236-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-airbus-a319.html)

SEA_Tigger Dec 31, 2002 5:34 pm

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A319

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...numbering.html

Yes, it is time for the next installment in our series of PSAs - Public Seating Announcements.

With the ERJ-145 out of the way, it's time to visit the Airbus A319.

Standard A319 (319)
UA A319 Seat Map - http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1077,00.html
SeatGuru A319 Seat Map - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...irbus_A319.php

Airbus A319

FIRST CLASS

The A319 has eight F seats. These are your usual domestic seats. Stated pitch is 38” and the width is 20.5”. I do not know if this is the case for all A319s (it is rare as a 1P I can snag Row 1), but on my flight this evening, there were cutouts on both sides and the pitch was in the mid-40" range. You actually could stretch out in Row 1. The seat recline on the A319 is quite generous, with the caveat that if the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of the aisle seat and exiting the window seat will require the aisle seat to step into the aisle.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS – ROWS 7-21

Row 7 is the best row, with 21A/21F being the best seat. Like on the A320, Row 7 has plenty of room plus (at least on my plane) the bulkhead did not extend all the way down to the floor, allowing you to store bags and your feet under Row 2. 20BC and 20DE due have an extra inch or two of legroom to allow folks to get to the Window Exit, but it is not nearly as generous as Row 20 and Row 21 on the A320. 21A and 21F do not have a seat in front of them (being the Window Exit) so they have "infinite" legroom. Rows 8-12 have 35" of legroom (1" less then the A320) and 18" width.

ECONOMY CLASS – ROWS 22-34

Pitch is very tight at 31", but at least the seats are wider then the 757.

Moderator's Note - Older posts from this thread may be found here.

For seating on the Airbus A320s, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bus-a320s.html

SAT Lawyer Jan 10, 2005 1:22 am

6C on the 319 is perfectly fine. The foot cutouts help, as does the fact of not having someone to recline into you. Add in being at the very front of the coach cabin, speeding up deplaning, and it is one of the best seats on the entire aircraft (first class excepted). The one downside is if you are otherwise interested in watching the in-flight entertainment. If so, you will probably not be thrilled with 6C.

goalie Jan 10, 2005 11:56 am

Originally Posted by robb
Now I'm confused. I was not under the impression that A319 cut-outs went all the way through. If so, then that might change a lot.

I thought that only on ex-shuttle 735's could you access the space under the FC seat from the Y bulkhead.

i've been on 319's & 320's both with and without cutouts and as far as i know, there is no way to determine which one you'll get.

Chapel Hill Guy Jan 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
i've been on 319's & 320's both with and without cutouts and as far as i know, there is no way to determine which one you'll get.

Yes, I agree. And if you want the bulkhead, always sit on the left (1A/B) as the cutouts/bulkhead on the A320 on the right are too tight (because of the galley).

MikieLikesMiles Jan 10, 2005 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Overhead bins tend to fill quickly up front. Passengers headed for the back will many times stow their bags up front, especially on a full flight. This could be a hassle if you board late and have carry-on luggage.

That's why my seat choice depends on whether it's the only/1st segment I'm flying or a tight connection. If the 319/320 is a connecting flight and I'm worried that the masses will be boarding and hogging the bins up before I'll make it, I preselect an E+ seat further back so at least I can be assured of having room beneath the seat to stuff things instead of an FA offering to find a place for them - a place that for some reason always ends up being the last bin in the back of the plane. :rolleyes:

If I don't get a 319/320 with the cutout to put my laptop bag, I always put that bag in the overhead and remove the laptop, which is in a well cushioned sleeve and place it behind my back (it's a lil ole 12" Apple Powerbook) so it looks like a back ortho cushion. Then I whip it out once the flight is airborne and am ready to go - never having been noticed by an FA. Especially great on flights out of DCA with the 30 minute seat rule :cool:

NewFlierCa May 15, 2005 11:55 pm

I love posts like these, great job. I am going to be on an Airbus 319, and I guess, I "successfully" got 1B in First Class? Is there a video monitor straight ahead of me, or do I have to look up at the monitor from the ceiling? Let's say I am traveling from ORD-SMF, on a lunch flight, will I just have one little meal, or a full out First Class meal?

Chapel Hill Guy May 16, 2005 8:25 am

Originally Posted by NewFlierCa
I love posts like these, great job. I am going to be on an Airbus 319, and I guess, I "successfully" got 1B in First Class? Is there a video monitor straight ahead of me, or do I have to look up at the monitor from the ceiling? Let's say I am traveling from ORD-SMF, on a lunch flight, will I just have one little meal, or a full out First Class meal?

Monitor is on the ceiling, but I don't find the viewing angle problematic.

I fly ORD-SJC often and F lunch is decent; plenty of food IMHO.

SEA_Tigger May 16, 2005 8:41 am

Originally Posted by NewFlierCa

The LCDs drop-down from the overhead bins, so field-of-view is pretty good. I had no problems seeing the LCD from 1B. In Row 6 and Row 11 on the A320, the LCD is pretty close, so it can be somewhat difficult to see (especially Row 11), but for the most part it is fine.

SULAX50 May 16, 2005 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jef7
Somehow, compare to 757s, I find the first class seats on the A320 rather cushy and more comfortable. Personally, 1A or 11D are my preferred seats on A320^ .

Nice analysis...I just did IAD-SJC on a 319 and had 6A on each leg. The upgrade is really a waste on that flight if u get row 6. I fly IAD-SAN on Fri on a 757 and am upgraded, the next day i come back SAN-IAD on a 320 in F, so I will have a good comparison since it will be fresh in my mind.

goalie May 16, 2005 11:07 am

outsanding job ^

if i can add my 2 "sense"....

i totally agree that row 6 rules if you are in the back of the bus although i can't remember if it was a 320 or a 319 but there are some birds out there where the bulkhead is lull length to the floor as opposed to open for bag stowage and leg stretching under the f seat.

for movie viewing from 6c/d, i've found that i can either watch the screen in f by either looking thru the "small cutout" near the top of the b/h or by simply looking "down the aisle" as it does not put a strain on the neck.

as for f, i will go for row 2 aisles on either the 319 or the 320 as they are both fine and imho, the recline for row 2 on the 319 is the same as row 1 (no reduction due to the b/h) and i also think it has better recline than row 3 on the 320.

just my comments and again, an outstadning job by SEA_Tigger

p1cunnin May 17, 2005 4:45 pm

Just rode an A319 ORD-YYZ in 1D. No cutouts, but I could cross my legs as noted. Another point on the Airbii would be to recall that 1AB have very limited overhead space at that row. 1CD is better, but not great.

I'm not a fan of row 1 because if I want my laptop, I have to go get it instead of keeping it on the floor.

I don't mind row 2 on the 319 or row 3 on the 320 because you can recline however you like without being in the face of someone behind you.

Tennen May 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Do all the 319's and 320's have storage space for row 6? I seem to recall that some (or maybe all) of the mainline 320's have full floor to ceiling bulkheads..

jan_az May 17, 2005 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by iflypdx
Nothing wrong with 12D on the A319 is there? Haven't seen it mentioned. It is the Exit row aisle after all....

The bad thing about row 12 - if your 319 gets switched for a 320 - which happens - you are now in E-

goalie Jul 6, 2005 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Do the last rows in First Class have limited seat recline on the A319 and A320?

SeatGuru.com says some passengers complain about that and so they are colored yellow. To me they look like they fully recline due to the cut out in the bulkhead behind that allows them to recline completely.

Any one have any experience? Is SeatGuru mistaken?

where i have long legs, i won't do row 1 on a 319/320 and....

row 2 on the 319 for me has ample (and perhaps full) recline-what folks might be noticing is that some f/a's may store their small bags behind the seats and that can impact the recline. i've had that happen but simply nudged (and i do mean nudged not crammed) the bag downward so the recline angle of the seatback doesn't hit it.

row 3 on the 320-i can't speak from personal experience as i go for row 2 but i have looked at it and it appears to be the same "behind the seat area" as the 319.

rhwbullhead Jul 6, 2005 11:12 pm

As everyone else has said, the row 6 economy seats in these planes are amazing. I flew a 319 ORD-SJC and a 320 SJC-ORD. The 320 seemed fairly new (I actually haven't been on a UA plane that looked this new) and it had even more room in the E+ bulkhead seat than the 319 did. There was so much space that I could hop out of my 6b middle seat (girlfriend had the window) without disturbing the aisle seat at all. I wish I could fly this plane more often :cool: