Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 13, 17, 6:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rsion-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ational-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 24, 10, 12:45 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Goes for C and F, too...!

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
A seat-mounted touch-screen is the single stupidest design ever conceived.
And yet, either because C/F occupants simply don't touch the screen--how could they reach it, sitting at the pre-determined distance UA imposes?--or--even less likely, UA assiduously wipes the fingerprints off between flights? this pax has NOT noticed prints there.

So, despite the agreed-on stupidity, at least the screens DON'T seem to burdened with smears of whatever food has been consumed, or other contaminants, e.g. hand lotions, ink from newspapers, general filth...

And let's not even think about the disease vectors that the remotes and seat controls pose!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 25, 10 at 3:04 am Reason: proper quote attribution
Old Apr 24, 10, 1:13 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyingbroom View Post
to 3-3-3 seating

and what happened to 17 a-b and 21 hj?
+1 and +1
Old Apr 24, 10, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dcutcher View Post
And let's not even think about the disease vectors that the remotes and seat controls pose!
For the germaphobs out there these will either be on the screen or the remote period. Deal with it, if you have flown in your life you already have and are still living. Let's not over react here to an attempt at a new interface.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 25, 10 at 3:05 am Reason: fixed quote
Old Apr 24, 10, 1:18 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
^

Always great to see UA making improvements, even though this thread has descended into the usual nitpicking and threats to fly other airlines. Seems UA is always in a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario.
Old Apr 24, 10, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs View Post
^

Always great to see UA making improvements, even though this thread has descended into the usual nitpicking and threats to fly other airlines. Seems UA is always in a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario.
It is FT in general, check out the other forums, people refuse to look at anything other than the negative aspects. Where is the sunshine people? Come on talk it up about NEW seats, avod, power, etc.
Old Apr 24, 10, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by ung1 View Post
Not sure how valid a reason that is. Emirates has 3-4-3 on their 777's but still manage to get AVOD to every seat.
At least, I think we can all agree that 3-3-3 is superior to 3-4-3 in coach on a 777.
Old Apr 24, 10, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA1K 1MM
New Config UA 914 trip report

OK, I just got off of the newly configured bird. It was a great flight SFo - IAD. I have very little time to report as I am transiting to Rome.

Mods, f this is the wrong thread or I break some posting rule please be lenient and clean it up for me. Thanks!

First some general comments.

- I didn't see much of first as I was seated in business. I was asked by a GA to "not delay the boarding process by taking pictures". So I tried to avoid delaying anyone.

- F looked much like the 747 pods which I have flown.

- The C seats seem to be very similar to if not identical to the C seats on 747 which have flown.

- The 3-3-3 configuration is throughout economy with just a few exceptions at the front and rear of the E sections.

- Yes, there are touch screens in E

- The screens in C and E both seemed to have good resolution of images

- The front facing / rear facing configuration in C results in lots of "almost facing each other" situations. It will be a matter of personal taste how much that bothers you. Having said that I don't see how UA could have squeezed 40 seats into the space they had in any other way.

- First impression is that 8 AB and 8 JK will be the best in C for me.

- I was in forward facing 9J. When fully reclined flat I had a very distinct feeling that my feet were well above my head. it seemed (subjective I know) that this was more pronounced than in 747. Different flight angle for 777 vs 747?

I'm running out of time so now I'm going to just post pics. If possible I'll add comments from Rome tomorrow.

#%$^$**!! I just discovered I don't know how to insert pics. I tried but it didn't work. I'll try to post them and insert a link.

5 minutes later...

I'm sorry folks. I must head to the gate. I will post photos from Rome.

CB
Old Apr 24, 10, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by CThomp79 View Post
How does that work? Are their passengers skinnier, on average, to allow narrower seats? Or do you have to turn sideways to move down the aisle?
yes, the avg middle eastern man is narrower than N American men. 3-4-3 on a 777 to them would be like what 3-3-3 is to us width wise. Of course, they get a few more inches of legroom. I've sat in 3-4-3 on a 777 before when I was 12 (also my first ride on a 777) going PEK-Shenzhen on China Southern, it wasn't too bad at all. Of course, that was nowhere near as comfortable as my only other 777 ride 10 years later, 1-2-1 on UA's old intl F suite...
Old Apr 24, 10, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
If it's true (and I can't see any remote either), that's a terrible oversight. A seat-mounted touch-screen is the single stupidest design ever conceived. I challenge United PR or anyone else at United to sit in one of those seats with an eight-year-old behind them and say otherwise with a straight face.
I like the touch-screen system on Virgin and TACA...

Originally Posted by n9536j View Post
And what did 2-5-2 give you?
Five seats to myself when the flight went out with low loads.

Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Hate 3-3-3. Will not fly UA on any route where I can choose a carrier with 2-5-2 if I have to fly in Y. Having that window-aisle with your companion on a long-haul flight is priceless. Way more important to me than VOD. It's unbelievable that UA doesn't get that.
You can always fly EK and enjoy their 3-4-3 seating on the 777.

I prefer the AVOD to the seating arrangement. AVOD helps a flight fly by quickly when trapped in Y.

Overall, I like the changes.
Old Apr 24, 10, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Thanks for the report! Waiting for your pictures.
Old Apr 24, 10, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I like the touch-screen system on Virgin and TACA.
Did you have an eight-year-old behind you spending the whole flight poking the system (and apparently trying to see just how hard he could do it)?

Originally Posted by schley View Post
Let's not over react here to an attempt at a new interface.
It's not a new interface. Touch screens have been around for 25+ years. The back of an airplane seat is just not the right place for it.
Old Apr 24, 10, 3:58 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Diamond
I love 777 because of the 2-5-2 design as 17A/B are considered the best Y seats on a TPAC flight.

for changing to 3-3-3.
Old Apr 24, 10, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
yes, the avg middle eastern man is narrower than N American men. 3-4-3 on a 777 to them would be like what 3-3-3 is to us width wise.
Works for so long as every passenger fits the "average..."

My issue -- as with a lot of people -- isn't room for the derriere, but rather the shoulders...so I'm never a fan of narrower seats.

Did you have an eight-year-old behind you spending the whole flight poking the system (and apparently trying to see just how hard he could do it)?

It's not a new interface. Touch screens have been around for 25+ years. The back of an airplane seat is just not the right place for it.
Agreed. However, FWIW, on my VX and DL flights with the same Panasonic system I've generally noticed the touchscreen to be fairly responsive and the seatback not to transfer much motion from the taps of the user behind me. But that doesn't mean there aren't some people who still tap "with purpose."

The remote controls that operate the Panasonic system, like those in the new UA C/F, are definitely better from a non-tapping perspective.

But above all -- a touchscreen AVOD is better than the old looping system!
Old Apr 24, 10, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA [Gold]
Sounds good so far! Have a good flight to Rome...
Old Apr 24, 10, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
yes, the avg middle eastern man is narrower than N American men. 3-4-3 on a 777 to them would be like what 3-3-3 is to us width wise. Of course, they get a few more inches of legroom. I've sat in 3-4-3 on a 777 before when I was 12 (also my first ride on a 777) going PEK-Shenzhen on China Southern, it wasn't too bad at all. Of course, that was nowhere near as comfortable as my only other 777 ride 10 years later, 1-2-1 on UA's old intl F suite...
PEK-SZX isn't a long flight, though. I flew DPS-CGK on a 3-4-3 config DC10 (4" narrower cabin than a 777?), but that didn't seem so bad at the time either. I've put on a little weight, though (and Mrs. 2000 even more), so not sure how much I'd like it now.

I've never been on a 3-3-3 777, just a KLM MD11. Flying alone, which is most of my flights, I'm not sure how bad it is (and in fact, sometimes the 2 is annoying because the other person wants to talk; with 3 usually you can engineer the other two to talk and leave you alone). Flying with someone else, obviously the 2 is a lot better. I've personally observed a lot of families of 4 or 5 in the center of the 2-5-2, and they'll miss it. My family of 4 never does that, we always take two of the 2's so we get a couple of windows. I always feel bad for these little kids stuck in the middle section like they're in a church pew or something.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: