Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
3-3-3 Config

+1...
I like the 2-5-2 if I have to travel w/ one companion
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by schley
Great point. I wonder what type of focus groups inside UA they came up with. I'm assuming the comments about AVOD supplying 3 seats per is the reason. I don't know definitively but it is easy to spot of shortcomings.
Not sure how valid a reason that is. Emirates has 3-4-3 on their 777's but still manage to get AVOD to every seat.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ung1
Not sure how valid a reason that is. Emirates has 3-4-3 on their 777's but still manage to get AVOD to every seat.
Another poster brought that up as a possibility. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not but it was brought up.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
3-3-3 Config

+1...
I like the 2-5-2 if I have to travel w/ one companion
Me too. If you have to be crammed into Y cabin, at least just having ONLY your seat companion next to you is a consolation . 3-3-3 is as bad as the 747 3-4-3 ugh!

^ to AVOD. Now if only they had the foresight to add seat back IFE to the 747s when they were reconfigured. Ah well, its done now.

Thanks to UnitedPR for posting, would love to see the F and C cabins too, along with the E+ cabin.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
In the second picture, check out the area underneath the K seats (starboard). To me it looks like that area is less than 6" wide. That means that you'll have to split the area underneath the J seat. Major
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by United PR
We know you’re all very excited to get onboard the reconfigured 777s, so we thought we’d give you a little preview before the “maiden” flight.
Thanks for sharing. The new Y looks good but not a huge fan of 3-3-3 configuration. Look forward to a future flight on the new 777
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Lightbulb come again?

Originally Posted by schley
Because there is no C seat better in the world. Soft product certainly but hard product I don't think there is any better.
UA's new C seat!?!? Best in the world!?!?
To each his/her own, I guess.
SQ? NZ? AC? etc..... etc....
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by fastair
Hate it as well....now every couple will be booking aisle window, or aisle aisle, leaving late bookers to all be split up into random center seats, and begging people (or the GA) to try to get them together. Heck, I even had a couple do that today, and complain when I told them someone else would be sitting between them. They said "well that isn't right...we are a couple...we booked it this way to get 3 seats for the 2 of us!" I told them they should now make polite conversation with the person and ask if they would like to switch their center for the other aisle or window, they replied "we don't want the center." I said OK, then stick with what you have...they replied....but we don't want a stranger between us.

I finally said that they should have then bought 3 seats for the 2 of them....lol, they offered to, but the reason a stranger was seated between them is because the plane is full...no way to buy that seat (I doubt they would have coughed up the walkup fare, but you never know.)

3-3-3 is just asking for this situation to be repeated infinite times.
The whole world can't be designed for people like you describe above.

Personally I'd be happy to be able to have a better chance of not getting one of the middle or side middle of the 5 with a late booking.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:24 am

I too prefer the 3 - 3 - 3 configuration as the middle seat of 5 totally sucked. Luckily that was only once when I had no status. Now I have status and am hoping to make sure I get an upgrade to C each time I fly to Europe.

Somehow I need to fly enough to become GS though as I seem to just miss those upgrades because of them. 1Ps and 2Ps probably think the same about us 1Ks
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Asiana Club
Nobody is saying that it is technically impossible. In Emirates' case, the additional revenue generated from having an extra seat in the row would offset the added cost of installing the extra boxes. In United's case, switching to 3-3-3 from 2-5-2 would mean that they could have the same amount of seats without having to deal with the costs of installing additional IFE boxes, the costs and trouble of maintaining them, and the additional fuel burn due to the added weight. Why would United go through the trouble of installing more IFE boxes than it would actually need, just to keep an outdated seating layout that is hardly used by anyone else?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
People keep complaining about going from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 and how it's so much worse, but do you honestly think this issue hasn't been studied before? There has to be a reason that most airlines have switched from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 and it's probably because, on balance, more people are happy with that config. There was a great blog post on Randy's Journal (Boeing Blog) that explains part of the rationale for 3-3-3 in that the chances of having an empty seat next to you are much higher with 3-3-3, and having an empty seat next to you is the single biggest determinant of customer satisfaction in Y.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
How does that work? Are their passengers skinnier, on average, to allow narrower seats? Or do you have to turn sideways to move down the aisle?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CThomp79
How does that work?
Their seats are 1" narrower, and I'd guess they shave another couple of inches from the aisles.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
The seats look exactly the same to me as the Delta seats in Y on their 77L. Maybe we should go to the Delta forum and see what the general consensus towards the comfort of this model is?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Paella747
UA's new C seat!?!? Best in the world!?!?
To each his/her own, I guess.
SQ? NZ? AC? etc..... etc....
There maybe an equal but the actual C seat isn't surpassed IMO. I don't think that is a surprise. UA got it right with this seat let's rejoice in that at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.