Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just had the same thing happen to me...we reserved 6AB, were moved to the middle of row 9, however 6AB were not blocked when I ran OLCI and when I checked in, I was able to move us back - now I'm wondering if this was a risky move because while I don't mind playing mind-games with a FAM and coercing them to move so my companion and I can sit together, I don't want a situation where we're bumped to Y because there is no place to move us - however the cabin is still booked under capacity and we've paid for J, so no upgrades should clear until we're seated in case we need to move.
This is why I never book 6A/B. We do 7J/K eastbound, and 6J/K westbound, and we've never been bumped.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
This is why I never book 6A/B. We do 7J/K eastbound, and 6J/K westbound, and we've never been bumped.
As it turned out, we were a victim of everyone's favorite SHARES bug - the "aircraft changed from tail number XXX to tail number XXX so all the seat assignments were dumped".

No needless government freeloader turned up to steal our seat, and the crew rest seat was in GF in front of us.

This being the first trip in a PMUA 777, I must say that I hate, hate, hate this aircraft and the BF seat. Far less comfortable than the PMCO version, no storage area or shelf, proprietary earplug jack, charging ports at inconvenient location, etc etc etc.

I know folks have a different opinion on which seat is better, but I couldn't fathom sitting in the middle section where even the mini privacy divider is between the wrong seats! The only benefit I saw was a family of four able to sit together across the middle section. The seat was lie flat yes, but in a premium economy configuration.

With an upcoming trip SFO-NRT-TPE, I was contemplating a swap from the 777 upper deck connecting with a tiny coach seat on ANA to the UA 777 nonstop if R seats are open at 24hr SDC point, but now I'm not so sure as I remember the 747 seats upstairs being more comfortable and don't feel like flying this aircraft again.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
This being the first trip in a PMUA 777, I must say that I hate, hate, hate this aircraft and the BF seat. Far less comfortable than the PMCO version, no storage area or shelf, proprietary earplug jack, charging ports at inconvenient location, etc etc etc.

With an upcoming trip SFO-NRT-TPE, I was contemplating a swap from the 777 upper deck connecting with a tiny coach seat on ANA to the UA 777 nonstop if R seats are open at 24hr SDC point, but now I'm not so sure as I remember the 747 seats upstairs being more comfortable and don't feel like flying this aircraft again.
As you point out, there are various points of view regarding the pmUA 777 BF seats. I travel in them a lot TATL, and kinda like them, and most importantly, I sleep very well! I agree with you though that the "middle" seats are not too much fun. (will take them in a heartbeat though over any kind of E+ seat)

The upstairs seats on the 747 are very similar, however the window seats have wonderful cabinets in which you can store huge amounts of stuff, and thus not have to get up to retrieve things during flight. They also contribute to a feeling of much more personal space.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
proprietary earplug jack,
Without getting into the merits of CO vs. UA, this one puzzles me. I have found the UA BF jack works fine with normal headphones, whereas the CO BF jack usually requires my Bose QC adapter with two prongs on it to get decent sound.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Without getting into the merits of CO vs. UA, this one puzzles me. I have found the UA BF jack works fine with normal headphones, whereas the CO BF jack usually requires my Bose QC adapter with two prongs on it to get decent sound.
The PMCO jack fits the two prong adapter from Y and I can use my own earbud headset - are you saying I don't need to plug into both holes (which are differnt sizes) on the PMUA jack and can insert my earbug plug into just one and still receive stereo sound?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
are you saying I don't need to plug into both holes (which are differnt sizes) on the PMUA jack and can insert my earbug plug into just one and still receive stereo sound?
Yes. I use a single prong in the top hole.

The power plug-in is horribly designed and placed.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
The PMCO jack fits the two prong adapter from Y and I can use my own earbud headset - are you saying I don't need to plug into both holes (which are differnt sizes) on the PMUA jack and can insert my earbug plug into just one and still receive stereo sound?
I've recently become pretty confused about the headphone jack situation. I was hoping there was a thread dedicated to this topic. On my last 777 flight, my seat neighbors showed me the 2 prong connector, 1 long, 1 short. I was amazed. I had never seen anything like it. I toss UA headphones out of the way as the first thing I do when I sit down. All this time I have just plugged in my own headset (single 'normal' prong) and have never had an issue, nor even realized the 2nd jack thing. The dual jack on the 752 (BF) is much more apparent. Thinking it was far-fetched, but I could only deduce that it could be for sharing what I am listening to with my seatmate . I did a little checking into it since I've been completely oblivious all this time. I read the little prong is to supply power to the UA headset. So, my running theory is you don’t need one of those 2 prong adaptor things if you are using your own headset.

Going a little OT, but I was on a DirecTV plane recently and was having a really hard time getting the headphone jack to work. After the 2 prong revelation, it gave me pause that I may have reported the problem in error, since I was only using 1 prong. (Not sure if the 73x with DirecTV have 2 prongs)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FTstudent
I read the little prong is to supply power to the UA headset. So, my running theory is you don’t need one of those 2 prong adaptor things if you are using your own headset.
I can get sound without the adapter on the CO BF jack, but I've found it's better with the adapter. Not sure why - perhaps it just seats better with the adapter.

Just noticed this thread . . .

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ve-issues.html
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
I can get sound without the adapter on the CO BF jack, but I've found it's better with the adapter. Not sure why - perhaps it just seats better with the adapter.

Just noticed this thread . . .

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ve-issues.html
I was about to point to this thread. My Bose headsets need the adapter to get stereo sound from the PMCO 777. Its annoying but not if you're prepared for it, and the FAs always have a few.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
Interesting. The seat maps for UA 895 to HKG in November do not even show a seat 6A. Or 2A or 2K for that matter.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Interesting. The seat maps for UA 895 to HKG in November do not even show a seat 6A. Or 2A or 2K for that matter.
It seems to be a recent enhancement. Seat reserved for crew rest, instead of showing "occupied," are completely absent.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
It seems to be a recent enhancement. Seat reserved for crew rest, instead of showing "occupied," are completely absent.
If your not selling them why show them? Makes sense to me. If UA would have this in the first place would have eliminated thousands of post here on FT. (Haha)

The problem was/is this is stressing the limits of the technical expertise of UAs IT.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
That's a better idea.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, HA Gold
LHR-SFO

Originally Posted by cranky1K
Those same three seats are not showing for 935 and 930 to and from LHR in August. Why are three blocked when only one is required for the pilot?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
953 MUC-ORD shows a blank where 6A, 2A + K used to be. But 989 ORD-FRA shows them available. Normally I'd grab 6A in a heartbeat, so glad I came across this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.