Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jet2K
Detail seat map at:

http://AirlineExpert.com/_UA_772_Intl_XQ.html

Business Class
I think the preferred row is row 6, since it is the first row and relatively far away from the facilities. If boarding is via L2, you turn left and most of the rest of the passengers will turn right and resulted in much less traffic through your area.

All four of the middle block seats in each row faces the same diretion, the same for all five rows. For what its worth, note that 7A and 7K has a middle missing window.

Row 8 is probably the least desirable, since it is closest to the facilities. 8C and 8H most likely would notice the most traffic to the lavatories and galley. The view out of windows in this second cabin is either back toward the wing, or partially being blocked. 10A and 10K also have a middle missing window next to the seat as well. 10B and 10J might notice FA traffic through the near-by curtain more so than others.
I sat in both 7A, 7K and 10A last week. 7A/K and 10A/K are missing a window where your feet are. In BF a passenger would have three windows (next to, slightly in front, lean forward), but for these rows there are only two. If you lean forward you will see a wall. I'm thinking this was a typo and it's not "middle" window, but "missing" window.

Also, I am not a fan of 7A/K given that there are other options. There is a lot of light from the galley and staring at the ovens/busy FAs isn't great. Especially if the curtains remain open.

I think the best seats are 6A/K or 9A/K.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:33 am

Backwards seats on 777-200 biz class

On at least some flights from Sao Paulo to IAD or ORD, half the seats on the 777-200s are facing backwards. I understood from a UA rep I talked with by phone that these are older planes on UA routes (i.e., not on former CO routes). At first glance, I said no way, especially for the backwards facing seats. Anyone actually flown in one? Weird feeling? I wondered about even the forward-facing seats, since there's another seat facing towards them, but I gather that there's a partition between them so there's not appreciably less privacy than in the usual all-face-forward congiruation.

Any other drawbacks to these planes? Does the age show? Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
They're great. Love 'em. More natural sleeping angle. "Longer" seats than a lot of the CO biz seats. These seats are probably only 3-4 years old on average.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
The agent was wrong. The backwards facing J seats are on UA's updated 777 fleet (sometimes referred to here on FT as the 777Q). UA recently completed upgrading this fleet earlier this year. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_2_New.php

Personally, I prefer the backwards facing seats. I find it easier to sleep with a slightly positive pitch since the aircraft is always pitched slightly up in flight. Privacy is fine as there's a TV between you and the forward facing passenger - although I tend to do everything possible (including switching flights if I can) to avoid the middle J seats.

YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The agent was wrong. This is UA's newest business class product. It's a comfortable seat, if a bit lacking in privacy. Backwards facing is not an issue. Some people (including me) prefer it because the incline is better for sleeping. You do want to pick your set carefully.
Check this thread.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
The agent was wrong. This is UA's newest business class product. It's a comfortable seat, if a bit lacking in privacy. Backwards facing is not an issue. Some people (including me) prefer it because the incline is better for sleeping. You do want to pick your set carefully.
Check this thread.
I don't think the agent was wrong. It sounds like like agent was distinguishing between legacy UA vs legacy CO planes. Legacy UA planes have backwards facing seats. Not sure of the actual age of the planes themselves. Did CO have a newer fleet than UA?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:03 am

My husband has done this several times,most recently yesterday HKG-ORD. I always ask him about the rear facing, since I don't like the idea at all. I am very motion sensitive and can't sit backward in a car, train. He has ended up being rear facing Business C each time And assures my that I would not notice a difference from front facing....

I think the ones he has been in are retro-fitted. He says it is pretty nice, but he is not overly impressed. Says it is not as good as the Air Canada business 'pods.' When we lived in Asia for years, the AC 777 were the BEST, plus the flight attendants were so much nicer.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExpatRepat
I think the ones he has been in are retro-fitted. He says it is pretty nice, but he is not overly impressed. Says it is not as good as the Air Canada business 'pods.' When lived in Asia for years, the AC 777 were the BEST, plus the flight attendants were so much nicer.
YMMV - the "pods" (aka herringbone) are very last-generation business class...many people associate them with "coffins", and there's not a ton of personal space.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zrs70
I don't think the agent was wrong. It sounds like like agent was distinguishing between legacy UA vs legacy CO planes. Legacy UA planes have backwards facing seats. Not sure of the actual age of the planes themselves. Did CO have a newer fleet than UA?
The agent was clearly suggesting that the UA IPTE configuration is somehow an "older" configuration than that of the sCO 772. While the sCO aircraft are newer, the UA reconfiguration into IPTE post-dates delivery of any of the sCO 772s. So the IPTE seat and configuration are "newer" than the sCO alternatives.

This was undoubtedly a pmCO agent who is not really familiar with the sUA fleet.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:54 am

Just flew in 6A. Really liked the location. But note that the window seat has a much narrower footwell than the aisle. I would go with 6B or 6J for an overnight flight. The nice thing about this location is there is very little aisle traffic and no galley disruption at all.

I also found the seat notably tighter than the 744 UD, definitely narrower and there's literally no place to put anything. And the side armrest is not adjustable as on the 744 - it's either up or it's down. I did find it lacks the UD's slightly claustrophibic feel though and there is no slant to the seats so you're looking straight at the AVOD screen.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Should the title of this thread be modified to include all IPTE UA 777s? The 777D is nearly identical to the 777Q, except for the additional bathroom and the two rows at the back of E+ reserved for crew rest. Seems like nearly all questions about either configuration can be covered in the same thread (as well as 777J - which has the same config as 777Q)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:24 pm

777-200 global first question

My Question is. My wife and I are going to Greece in the summer ...It looks to me like the middle seats in Global First are not what we be best for us to talk and see each other.

Right now we have row 1 window and the 1 isle....

Are the 2 middle seats in global first ok for a couple???

Is there clear sight for us to sit in the middle seats........

is there a partition in between seats in the middle ??

looks like on the seating chart the middle seats face away from each other.... Thank you for help
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: MP-1K 2MM, HH-Diamond
6A or 6B?

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I sat in both 7A, 7K and 10A last week. 7A/K and 10A/K are missing a window where your feet are. In BF a passenger would have three windows (next to, slightly in front, lean forward), but for these rows there are only two. If you lean forward you will see a wall. I'm thinking this was a typo and it's not "middle" window, but "missing" window.

Also, I am not a fan of 7A/K given that there are other options. There is a lot of light from the galley and staring at the ovens/busy FAs isn't great. Especially if the curtains remain open.

I think the best seats are 6A/K or 9A/K.

I am in 6B from ORD to FRA. Is there space to easily get past a sleeping 6B if I take 6A?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flew in 8A on IAD-KWI, and 8K on KWI-IAD. Probably the best seats in the larger business cabin. I did not head a single noise from the lavs, and smell/light was not an issue.

Originally Posted by chismosito
I am in 6B from ORD to FRA. Is there space to easily get past a sleeping 6B if I take 6A?
You will have no problem as long as you are able to step over the person in the aisle.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chismosito
depends on what you mean by space.

With the lie flat business class seats, the aisle seat in bed mode, completely blocks the access to the aisle. However, the bed is low enough most folks of average height or taller are able to step over the individual. Short people or those with mobility issues may not be able to exit to the aisle from the window seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.