Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
I'd stay with 20J--we had H, J on our way out and they were great seats.

Also, to my earlier question, 9 A, B turned out to be excellent seats in C cabin. For future flights, I would opt for row 6 if it were available, with 9 as second choice.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Do you all really need to talk to each other? I'd skip 3 in the middle (if you're all adults) - 2 on the side and an aisle in the middle could work.
2.5 adults. Don't really need to talk to each other all flight, but it would be nice to occasionally talk to each other.

Would 3 in a row work? The middle seats are always the opposite direction of the side seats, so I'm not sure how that would affect things.

But 2 + 1 facing each other might also work too. So not really sure.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by americancow
2.5 adults. Don't really need to talk to each other all flight, but it would be nice to occasionally talk to each other.

Would 3 in a row work? The middle seats are always the opposite direction of the side seats, so I'm not sure how that would affect things.

But 2 + 1 facing each other might also work too. So not really sure.
To be honest, I'd stay out of that 4 pack...I just did it as there were two "little people" relatives of mine in the middle, but it's just not that desirable. I'd stick the youngest by the window and then do an adult next to that and then one facing the other way across the aisle (IMO row 6 the best for this, most quiet as it's the furthest from the galley/lav).

You're close enough across the aisle that you can talk. Easy enough to switch spots too. You can find pics easy enough of those middle 4 seats - there's barely any divider between the two in the middle.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Hey guys, back on UA - just a quick question: Have all of the international UA 777's been converted to the new BF lie-flat config now? I read something about it being done for June 2013? (I was on a 777 last year in Aug 2012, LHR-LAX and lost the lottery on that one... ended up with recliners and the 5" TVs.)
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by Insiderdude
Hey guys, back on UA - just a quick question: Have all of the international UA 777's been converted to the new BF lie-flat config now? I read something about it being done for June 2013? (I was on a 777 last year in Aug 2012, LHR-LAX and lost the lottery on that one... ended up with recliners and the 5" TVs.)
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Glad to see that Chris was able to clarify with us. Just to re-confirm, we are indeed now scheduled 100% lie-flat on all long-haul international flights from North America. In fact, we just put out a press release on the topic. Although it specifically references all eight North American hubs, were also operating SEA-NRT with an IPTE-equipped 777.

As Chris mentioned, if youre still nostalgic for barcaloungers and cassette tapes, you have a good chance of finding one of the few remaining pre-IPTE 777s on HNL-NRT, as well as a few routes between HNL and the mainland U.S. However, these aircraft are also scheduled to be converted to the IPTE configuration before the end of the year (with their routes subject to change, of course).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by hopel
I'd stay with 20J--we had H, J on our way out and they were great seats.
Yea 20J was a great seat. It even had the articulating recline--almost as much recline as domestic first, so comfortable. Glad I kept it - the flight was completely full and I think they even gave out a handful of op-ups (not me, unfortunately).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
That's fantastic, thank you!! ^
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by sincx
Flight is showing:
Available Cabins: F5, FN5, A5, ON4, O4, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN9, I9, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
Would you mind letting me know how you view this information? I'm trying to plan travel for a big group and it Seems like it would be pretty helpful to see how many fares in each class are available on flights. I had no idea this information was available... gotta love FT.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Moved from 10A

I checked yesterday and was seated in 10A on UA 945 (FRA-ORD) and had been for weeks. I check in today for tomorrow AM's flight and am in 7D. I called Premier Desk and she checked for a reason but found none. CSR said seat change history was something SHARES didn't show. She thought it might be for crew rest but couldn't confirm. A quick scan of this forum doesn't turn up issues for 10A (unless I missed it)

Any other ideas? Sort of not happy about being in the middle section when I selected my seat week ago.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by RockinRon
I checked yesterday and was seated in 10A on UA 945 (FRA-ORD) and had been for weeks. I check in today for tomorrow AM's flight and am in 7D. I called Premier Desk and she checked for a reason but found none. CSR said seat change history was something SHARES didn't show. She thought it might be for crew rest but couldn't confirm. A quick scan of this forum doesn't turn up issues for 10A (unless I missed it)

Any other ideas? Sort of not happy about being in the middle section when I selected my seat week ago.
I've followed the 777 thread closely and don't recall seeing any instances where 10A got "blocked" for some reason. Usually 10A is one of the less desired seats because of its proximity to Y section. But perhaps they had to do some rearranging for some special reason or the seat is broken.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
I've followed the 777 thread closely and don't recall seeing any instances where 10A got "blocked" for some reason. Usually 10A is one of the less desired seats because of its proximity to Y section. But perhaps they had to do some rearranging for some special reason or the seat is broken.
We'll see if their Twitter people have any additional insight. I've sent them my details. *shrug* I'd ask UAInsider, but the last thing I had him check on he never followed up with.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:13 pm

thoughts on row 20 on a 777-200 V2

I was debating between row 20 & row 33 on a recent trip from Tokyo to IAD. In the end, I choose row 33 and was happy for it. I looked closely at row 20 as I boarded and it looked just the pix in a previous reply. the side seats do have more legroom than other Econ Plus seats but not by much.

Seats 21c & 21h looked pretty sweet, imo. Probably some chance for competition with the service carts but minimal, i think. for extra legroom, i would certainly choose one of those seats if it was available

row 33 is a standard widebody exit row with miles of legroom for two side sets of seats. I like the window seats. Yeah, the door bumps out a bit but not enough to impede my ability to stretch my legs as much as I want. the center section seats in row 33 are just like other widebodies. a bit more leg room but not much.

bottom line for folks that crave legroom in economy: row 33 is the way to go on this configuration.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by bpkengor
bottom line for folks that crave legroom in economy: row 33 is the way to go on this configuration.
How did you find the lines for the (only) 2 lavs that are right there?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver

http://imgur.com/kRWzxC7

Hi guys, got the choice above. Currently in 7a/b but wondering whether I should change to 9j/k. Flight is overnight LAX to LHR so am worried about galley light and activity affecting sleep in row 7. But then I lose the slightly more private cabin if I move to row 9. I have no real preference as to what way I face.

Anyone got any tips or is this one really quite 50/50?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368

http://imgur.com/kRWzxC7

Hi guys, got the choice above. Currently in 7a/b but wondering whether I should change to 9j/k. Flight is overnight LAX to LHR so am worried about galley light and activity affecting sleep in row 7. But then I lose the slightly more private cabin if I move to row 9. I have no real preference as to what way I face.

Anyone got any tips or is this one really quite 50/50?
Go 7J/K, as there's a bit less activity I've found. But otherwise close to 50/50. There's probably more foot traffic in 9. Get some eyeshades and you'll be okay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.