Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 13, 17, 6:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rsion-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ational-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 23, 10, 7:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Asiana Club
Originally Posted by husker267 View Post
AVOD ^
3-3-3 Config
Can't have it both ways. It's either AVOD with 3-3-3 or no AVOD with 2-5-2. Each IFE box can service up to three seats at once, and if UA keeps 2-5-2, it would require four IFE boxes per row instead of three per row.

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere View Post
Does anyone recognize the make/model of the AVOD system?
Panasonic. Model appears to be eFX or eX2.

Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
Who said AVOD?
It would have to be AVOD since the Panasonic eFX or eX2 do not use loop programming.
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
Looks like @unitedairlines just confirmed power ports. Not specified which kind though...

"Also OnDemandVideo & powerports RT @robdean218 @UnitedAirlines is this just a shift from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 in economy? looks like a nice cabin!"

http://twitter.com/UnitedAirlines/status/12734306921
I don't twitter myself, but this looks like it is not from anyone @UA, but someone asking a question in the form of a statement. If these planes are flying tomorrow, why no updates on UA or SuiteDreams?
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I don't twitter myself, but this looks like it is not from anyone @UA, but someone asking a question in the form of a statement. If these planes are flying tomorrow, why no updates on UA or SuiteDreams?
Because there's only one of them, and it hasn't gone out yet.
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
If these planes are flying tomorrow, why no updates on UA or SuiteDreams?
For the 747 and 767 programs, SuiteDreams was always about 2-4 weeks behind.
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:25 pm

I'm booked on a 777 flying IAD-FRA in August and have reserved both seats in row 17 to and 21 return.

What happens to my reservation I specifically booked this flight for? Better yet, will this new config take over the IAD-FRA anytime soon - any way to tell?
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
There does look to be alot of room under the seats. And it's the cleanest UA plane I've seen.

That said, I hope it's the last time I see the back of a UA 777.
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
What happens to my reservation I specifically booked this flight for?
Nothing. United doesn't guarantee aircraft, configurations, or even seats.

Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
will this new config take over the IAD-FRA anytime soon - any way to tell?
Only time will tell.
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
It's about time UA had AVOD in Y. ^

UA isn't going to commit to an official schedule until a few more birds are converted.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 24, 10 at 12:33 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 23, 10, 8:48 pm

Hate 3-3-3. Will not fly UA on any route where I can choose a carrier with 2-5-2 if I have to fly in Y. Having that window-aisle with your companion on a long-haul flight is priceless. Way more important to me than VOD. It's unbelievable that UA doesn't get that.
Old Apr 23, 10, 9:02 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Hate 3-3-3. Will not fly UA on any route where I can choose a carrier with 2-5-2 if I have to fly in Y. Having that window-aisle with your companion on a long-haul flight is priceless. Way more important to me than VOD. It's unbelievable that UA doesn't get that.
Have fun on Air China!
Old Apr 23, 10, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, DL Plt, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott AMB/LTT, HH Gld, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by n9536j View Post
And what did 2-5-2 give you?
Studies have shown pax are almost equally happy with an aisle, a window, or an empty seat next to them. With an 89% load factor in a 2-5-2 config, you can have every pax "happy" (no passengers in the middle seat of the five-seat center section and everyone has an aisle, a window, or an empty seat next to them). In a 3-3-3 config, you need a load factor of <67% for all economy passengers to be similarly "happy".
Old Apr 23, 10, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Have fun on Air China!
Yeah, or American. Other than that, pretty much every other 777 on earth is 3-3-3, so I don't understand the whining as if UA intentionally did this to alleniate the customer. Quite the contrary actually.
Old Apr 23, 10, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Have fun on Air China!
Turkish Airlines operates the A330 and A340 as 2-4-2, which would give you the option of getting window & aisle with a partner on a long-haul flight. (Their 777 is 3-3-3, however.)
Old Apr 23, 10, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
There does look to be alot of room under the seats. And it's the cleanest UA plane I've seen.
Just give it some time....

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
That said, I hope it's the last time I see the back of a UA 777.
+1^^^^^
Old Apr 23, 10, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, IC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
F and C are the same as the current IPTE airplanes, the real difference is in the back of the bus.

To answer the question about the IFE system, it is a Panasonic system, don't know the model number. AVOD in all classes, touch screen in economy except for first rows of each cabin. Also, I think the seat bottom slides forward.
I'll be shocked if these Panasonic Aero POS systems work reliably. The problems with the existing upgraded 747C systems are well-known. On a recent Airbox 380 flight with SQ, anyone actually TRYING to access features on the Panasonic systems including playlists and start-and-stop of VOD would quickly find their systems blue-screened, with about a ten minute reboot period.

Clearly the Panasonic Aero engineers are not able to get these systems working reliably anywhere. Adding "touch screen" is just another failure point.

Someone should contract Apple to design/build inflight entertainment. Actually, once these things are equipped with Wi-Fi, that's what passengers will be using and doing. . .iPods, iPhones, and iPads.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: