Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
The problem with the seatguru figure is the reference metric for seat width. Seatguru's 23.5" figure for UA C is with armrests down - in other words, the width of the seat from the outside of the armrests. With armrests up, the new C seats are only 19" wide. If other carriers are measuring their C seat widths by the typical inside armrest convention (which is the convention used for every other UA seat), then using the 23.5" figure will not give a relevant comparison. For example, measuring the old C seat width using the outer armrests would give something 27"+.

I'm definitely with flyinbob and others in this thread, and the legions of FTers who have posted elsewhere, in agreement the narrow seats get a big and it is a major contributing factor in why I switched my TPACs away from UA.
I would argue that using the armrest-down measure of 23.5 inches in UA's new C seat is fair because it's actually usable width. You can even have the armrests down without being in the fully flat position.

It's not so far IMHO to say that if you added the armrest width in the old C, it'd add up to 27+ inches, because that additional space isn't useable.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I certainly understand the unhappiness from some when it comes to 3-3-3, but the complaining is really starting to become obnoxious. Not only have people known this for months, but it was clearly done with the passenger in mind. I usually travel solo, so perhaps my persepctive is skewed, but the new UA seats with AVOD and POWER, is leaps and bounds above having a set of 2 seats on either side.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA [Gold]
Originally Posted by mre5765
I can't believe the griping 3-3-3 as if it was news. It isn't. It was well known.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-3-3-3-e.html
Exactly. We've known this for ages. I wasn't initially happy about the 3-3-3 either but I'd figured everyone had accepted it by now.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA1K 1MM
More comments on new config maiden flight

I had a nap here in Rome. Here are some more comments in no particular order about the new 777 config.

In case you missed it here is a link to my photos of the inaugural flight on UA914 on 4/24. http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

- The C seats do seem to come in pairs.
- C seat armrests if you look at them facing a pair go thin / thick (between the pair) / thin from left to right. For A/B and J/K seats this puts a thin rest at the sidewall and the aisle. I think the pics show this clearly.
- The thick center armrest in C is roughly four inches wide and is fixed. I didn't have a tape measure but I'm sure someone else will publish lots of measurements soon.
- I am a touch more than 6 feet 3 inches (192 cm) tall with fairly broad shoulders for my height and hips not as wide as my shoulders. When fully reclined I just barely, but in fact completely, fit full length in the seat while lying on my back. My shoulders fit comfortably in the "shell" but with very little room to spare. When lying on my back I had to put my arms on top of my abdomen as there was no room for them to fit beside my hips between the two arm rests.

Having said the above and to preclude any mistaken negative impression you may have I thought that the seats were very comfortable for sleeping. Probably 95% or more of passengers are smaller than me and should have no problems at all with space lying down. Anyone as tall or taller than me is used to dealing with the problems of being normal size in a world of vertically challenged people who are less than 6 feet 2 inches!

-To correct an earlier poster... No, absolutely not, no FAs gave me any hassle about pictures. I never said that. We had a fine crew.

What had happened was that I got onto the red carpet first so that I could scurry onboard to take pics before the boarding chaos got into full swing. As it happened the carpet at gate 86 in SFO was right beside one end of the gate's counter.

I mentioned to the GA standing there that I thought that it was my lucky day because we got to fly the first commercial flight of the new config. She gave me a look as if I was crazy. Then she looked at the camera I had ready in my hand said something close to "We want no one to hold up the boarding process because they are taking pictures!" This was said in a tone that carried "You have been warned!"

Everyone else, without exception, at the gate and on board was positive and / or excited. GAs not working the flight came hurrying to gate 86 to go on board and get a look. The GA who warned me also warned them that we were boarding soon and that they had better be off the plane before boarding started. She is just one of those folks who should have retired or quit long ago.

- There were UA personnel on board who are key folks on the project to convert the planes. I had a chance to talk to two of them. I pointed out one or two minor, fixable problems that were clearly of the kind you would find on a first flight shakedown. I also made several of what I intended to be and I think were taken as constructive suggestions. These were listened to courteously and made note of for either fixing or in some cases for what appeared to be serious consideration when time and resources permit. Note that I understand that consideration is clearly not the same as acceptance and implementation.

Ja and As you know who you are and I know that at least one of you lurks here from time to time. It was obvious to me that you have invested a lot of time and personal energy in trying to make these conversions as successful as possible within the constraints of your project's resources. You will never get 100% customer satisfaction with your final product. But I want to say here that I appreciate what you have done and think that on balance it's a big winner. I think that a lot of customers will come to the same conclusion.

- In E it appeared that the 110 power ports were located under the BC and HJ seats leaving the A and K seats as the odd man out. I forgot to check this for the center block of three seats. I think the pics show this clearly for the ABC and HJK sections.

The 20 AB and JK 2-seat locations have two power ports so no sharing required. Again I think the pics show this clearly.

- When looking at the pics the First Mate asked me "Where are the video screens for the bulkhead seats in Economy?" Good question. I never noticed and the pictures I took don't seem to show them. They have to be there and therefor swing out or up from somewhere. But the tray tables have to be in the arm rests. It would seem that there isn't enough room for both in the arm rests.

Oh well. I am sure someone will answer that within a couple of days.

All for now.

CB
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainBilly
I had a nap here in Rome. Here are some more comments in no particular order about the new 777 config.

CB
Many thanks, Captain. ^ Everyone here appreciates your efforts, and the risk for taking pictures.

I assume you were in Y. Could you tell if the C section is in fact more cramped as we have been speculating? I was really hoping they would have stuck with the 2-3-2 in C and allow a bit more room.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Since there are so many people dislike 3-3-3 in Y for the 777, I wonder how many of these people if given a choice, would take 763 instead of 777 ?

Would anyone trade off 2 seats on the side on 763 instead of AVOD plus power on 777 ?
Absolutely.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Herb687
Absolutely.
I'd be willing to bet that the majority does not agree.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by hamburgler

At least 20AB/JK look as good as the old row 17... and there's interesting seat options in 21C/21H. Not sure how/if those will be preferred.
21C and 21H become new "exit" seats in E+ minus not moveable armrest (only right armest is fixed for storage of PTV), although I think if I have a choice I would still stick with 20 ABJK, as you may still have two people next to you need to get out. And the third favorite will probably last row of E+, where it has 2 seats by the window.

All in all, not too bad even it had lost 21HJ on XC and XI.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Apr 25, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'

In case you missed it here is a link to my photos of the inaugural flight on UA914 on 4/24. http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

All for now.

CB
Thank You for showing us the pixs. Very nice. JG

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm Reason: edit
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:09 pm

- When looking at the pics the First Mate asked me "Where are the video screens for the bulkhead seats in Economy?" Good question. I never noticed and the pictures I took don't seem to show them. They have to be there and therefor swing out or up from somewhere. But the tray tables have to be in the arm rests. It would seem that there isn't enough room for both in the arm rests.
It looks like the same as it did in the old style. Both the screen and the tray are in the same art rest. The screen swings down in an L shape so it fits under the tray in the arm rest.

BillJ
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by murphyUA
it was clearly done with the passenger in mind.
Maybe "in mind", but certainly not primary (or probably even secondary). It's all about cost savings and profits (which, as a publicly traded company, UA is required to consider).
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe "in mind", but certainly not primary (or probably even secondary). It's all about cost savings and profits (which, as a publicly traded company, UA is required to consider).
Looks like lots of stuff under the Y seats. Is there any room left for a carry-on?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks

CB
This is great. Thank you. What program do you use to "swirl" out the faces?

Great photos!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Oh, I won't. I've experienced it on VX and that's the primary reason I won't fly them if I have a choice (and if I have to fly them, I'll sit in the last row).
I flew them because UA did not have a direct flight, and it was Horrible! I don't know why people love VX. It was just awful. Yes, I was in the back of the bus, and yes, I had a 6 year old kid behind me, but my god, what a horrible airline. It is very ghetto. The service was rude, the AVOD was disgusting, smeared with grease and food stains, and--probably the worst part--the clientele that you're surrounded by not very nice. People who fly VX are not like people who fly UA. They seem to think that being on VX is a party and you don't have to respect other people. They're loud, obnoxious and spread their stuff all over the place. They seem to think they're going to Vegas for a bachelor party. Horrible experience, and I will never fly them again if I can avoid it.

Originally Posted by whitearrow
Hate 3-3-3. Will not fly UA on any route where I can choose a carrier with 2-5-2 if I have to fly in Y. Having that window-aisle with your companion on a long-haul flight is priceless. Way more important to me than VOD. It's unbelievable that UA doesn't get that.
Yes, 2 seat in a long haul flight with your comparion is just a delight. It is really not that bad, and you feel great because you're saving all this money in economy.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Contrary to the critics above, I think it looks pretty nice for Y.
I thought so. It looked pretty good to me.

Did you have an eight-year-old behind you spending the whole flight poking the system (and apparently trying to see just how hard he could do it)?
+1. What's worse than an 8 year old kid is the 70 year old grandad. Their fingers are not sensitive and they just push the entire seat into your head. They push really really hard, and they don't just "peck". Your head is bobbing every time he's done with a movie. He's the same guy who leans on your seat, pulls you back, and let's you fling forward when he goes to the bathroom...then he does it again on his way back into his seat.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL

CB
Thanks a lot for the pics!!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.