Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Interesting C configuration, certainly good for eavesdropping. I don't get why all four center seats are forward/ rear facing. Wouldn't a staggered configuration a la BA allow for more shoulder space and greater privacy?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: United 1K, AA ExpPlat, Delta DM
According to the Boeing website the 777 cabin width is 19ft 3in. The 747 cabin width is 20ft 1in.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Advantage XPLAT, United
give me 2-5-2 over 3-3-3 anytime

traveling in pairs or traveling single, with a little pre-planning, a 2-5-2 gives a much better flying experience than a 3-3-3.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
A 2-5-2 configuration guarantees that 4 couples can sit next to each other, 3-3-3 only allows for 3 couples.
Surely not "guarantees." A 2-5-2 configuration *allows* 4 couples to sit next to each other, but certainly in practice sometimes single travelers book first and take one of the 2 seats. I've definitely seen seatmaps where nearly all of the 2 seat groups in E+ have exactly one seat occupied, along with both aisle seats of the 5 group. Each single traveler preferred not sitting next to an existing passenger when booking, even if eventually the flight will fill up.

When you have a lot of singles, the row can fill up like this on booking:
XO XOOOX XO
with 4 of the 9 seats occupied before people newly booking abandon that row and book open rows.

With a 3-3-3 configuration and lots of singles, the row tends to fill up like this:
XOX XOX XOX
with 6 of the 9 seats occupied before people refuse to book the row until other rows are nearly filled.

If you're a couple booking when the plane is partially filled, then 3-3-3 can increase your chances of getting two seats next to each other (and not in the middle of the 5), though it depends on how many couples versus how many single travelers have booked before.

Originally Posted by fastair
in any 9 seat config, if 6 of the seats are occupied, everyone is happy (66.7%) As soon as you fill 7 of the 9, the 2-5-2 still keeps people happy, while 3 people on the 3-3-3 are stacked. The 2 sections on the 2-5-2 are still "stacked" with even 6 seats occupied, but few are angry as most couples prefer to book the 2 seats, knowing that the seat next to them will be occupied.
It doesn't matter that most couples prefer to book the 2 seats. It matters whether most 2 seats are booked by couples. That's different, and depends on what proportion of travelers are couples.

Quickly doing a dummy booking and looking at flight 804 NRT-IAD on May 16, in E+ I see 9 two seat groups double occupied, 10 two seat groups occupied by exactly one person, and 1 two seat group unoccupied (row 23, near the back). In the 5 seat groups, only one seat not an aisle is occupied. Even if we assume that all the double occupied two seat groups are couples, that still means that less than half the two seat groups are occupied by couples, whereas the other half are occupied by singles who prefer not having a stranger next to them.

Conclusion: You certainly can't say that "few are angry" and that "everyone is happy" when there is six seat occupancy on 2-5-2. In this one flight, at least half the two seat groups are occupied by passengers who are not part of couples and who would be happier in 3-3-3.

Even worse, there are multiple rows, like 19, 20, and 25, which filled up to 4 person occupancy and then no one booked in that row again, preferred to fill up extra rows. Couples booking later face the problem of only being able to book together in the middle of the 5. With 3-3-3, those rows would have filled up to occupancy six initially, saving better open seats next to each other in other rows.

It doesn't *just* matter what the load is when the plane takes off. It also matters what the load is at the time of booking, since people select their seats then.

If you're a couple, and you're booking when load is close to 55%, then in 2-5-2 you're extremely unlikely to find a pair of seats next to each other except for the in the middle of the 5. If you're booking when load is close to 55% in 3-3-3, then you are guaranteed to find a pair of seats next to each other. (You will have to worry about whether to take seats next to each other or gamble on taking aisle/window or aisle/aisle and asking someone to switch later one.)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 25, 2010 at 12:47 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjtenor4
CaptainBilly, you are my new favorite flyertalker Thanks for the pics! Looking good - can't wait to try it myself!
Want to join in thanking you for long anitcipated, great fist pix! ^

Originally Posted by AirForce915
According to the Boeing website the 777 cabin width is 19ft 3in. The 747 cabin width is 20ft 1in.
Center section in C looks similar to the one in the 744 LD. Assuming the aisle width is identical to the 744, there is 1 1/4" less width space per seat. Will be interesting to learn from the first FT who evaluates the cabin with his measuring tape. IIRC there were 2 widths: 22" and 23.75". Given the narrower body of the 777 all seats mght be 22".

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2010 at 11:40 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:06 am

CaptainBilly ,you are freaking awesome !!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by rafkeduck
It is going to be interesting to see how plane changes are going to be handled between old and new. Will they make sure that aisles stay in aisles, and middles in middles? Or will people just keep the same seat number?

In the first case there would suddenly be a middle between a couple. In the second case you could lose your aisle seat.

Now that we are a family of 3, I don't think 3-3-3 is worse, we choose g-h-j most of the time. As a couple, h-j was the better choice.
Wouldn't this work? For the 2-5-2, have the seats assigned AC-DEFGH-JL and the 3-3-3 assigned ABC-DFH-JKL, this way only B and K would get remapped to E and G. As far as anyone else cares, CDHJ are always aisle seats.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Center section in C looks similar to the one in the 744 LD. Assuming the aisle width is identical to the 744, there is 1 1/4" less width space per seat. Will be interesting to learn from the first FT who evaluates the cabin with his measuring tape. IIRC there were 2 widths: 22" and 23.75". Given the narrower body of the 777 all seats mght be 22".
I think UA uses the same seat on the 747 as they use on the 767, thus all of them are narrow. The seats only come in pairs as well. Thus, the only "excuse me" free seats in C would be on the 767

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2010 at 11:41 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Charles847
traveling in pairs or traveling single, with a little pre-planning, a 2-5-2 gives a much better flying experience than a 3-3-3.
Good luck finding that configuration beyond 2yrs from now.

UA was the launch customer and chose the 2-5-2, but the market has spoken.

Now I'd prefer they upsized the bins on the sides to match the 747 - a 22" roller doesn't roll in flat wheels in/out - very inefficient. And a longer reach.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CaptainBilly
OK team. I'm in Rome and dead tired after flying 9,000+ miles from KOA. I've loaded the pictures that I took on UA 914 on 4/24 to a Flickr acount. Here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

I think it works. SOmebody try it quickly and tell me it works. I really want to crash!

CB

OK, play among yourselves. I'm crashing.

CB
thanks for the great pics ^^ and in the back of the bus it looks like 21c and its counterpart on the other side have a ton of extra legroom and 33a and it's counterpart on the other side are gonna have "feet and slide issues"

Last edited by goalie; Apr 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm Reason: i can't spell
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by goalie
thanks fro the great pics ^^ and in the back of the bus it looks like 21c and its counterpart on the other side have a ton of extra legroom and 33a and it's counterpart on the other side are gonna have "feet and slide issues"
I echo what Goalie said, Thanks for the great photos, CaptainBilly!!!

I like 20AB in E+. They look like pretty nice seats to be in, as you still get the 2 seats, instead of three...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I think this looks quite nice for economy. I also don't get the hate for 3-3-3. People need to remember MOST passengers in Y, the vast majority, are not elites and cannot cherry pick seats at booking. Given that, and assuming fairly full flights (90-100%) which seems to me to be the new norm, for most passengers 3-3-3 will be preferable because there is no chance of a true "hell seat."
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Talking UA seats are wider than Pods.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Once again, it MUST be more cramped. They went from 3 middle section seats to 4, as they did in the 744. Since the cabin was not widened, and the 777 cross section is narrower than the 744 already, not only is it more cramped than the old 777, it is even more cramped than the 744.

Worth it for a few degrees of extra recline on an 8 hour flight? Not in my book. Like the jamming in of the extra seat across on the 744, BIG to UA designers.
I have done a lot of flights on the 747 and 767 and these new C seats are GREAT the huge VOD screen and drop down armrest give you lots of width. Oh and check seat guru out UA seats 23.5 and thats comparable to a lot of Airlines.
the POD seating on AC NZ are not as wide and I have been on CX and it was tight also... So from the specs at Seat Guru UA seems to have the same width.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Azmordean
I also don't get the hate for 3-3-3. People need to remember MOST passengers in Y, the vast majority, are not elites and cannot cherry pick seats at booking.
I don't see it maving a great effect on single travelers, and it will help the trios somewhat, but it really hurts the couples, which is probably a significant population of leisure travelers (I wonder if there's data on this). With 2-5-2, you can fit four couples across and make all of them relatively happy. With 3-3-3, you can only fit three couples across, and pretty much only make one of them happy.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirForce915
Yeah but except for the 10 inches divided among 8 seats, the interior in C pretty much looks identical to the 747. However, I'd guess that 1" width per seat will be missed.

And the new config is WAY better than the old one in my book. The lack of personal storage is a small pain but I still see no reason to pay any non-trivial difference for first -- certainly not $500.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by why fly
Oh and check seat guru out UA seats 23.5 and thats comparable to a lot of Airlines.... So from the specs at Seat Guru UA seems to have the same width.
The problem with the seatguru figure is the reference metric for seat width. Seatguru's 23.5" figure for UA C is with armrests down - in other words, the width of the seat from the outside of the armrests. With armrests up, the new C seats are only 19" wide. If other carriers are measuring their C seat widths by the typical inside armrest convention (which is the convention used for every other UA seat), then using the 23.5" figure will not give a relevant comparison. For example, measuring the old C seat width using the outer armrests would give something 27"+.

I'm definitely with flyinbob and others in this thread, and the legions of FTers who have posted elsewhere, in agreement the narrow seats get a big and it is a major contributing factor in why I switched my TPACs away from UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.