Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is key, what is possible for a traveler very familiar with an airport and what works for someone new or infrequent to an airport can be very different.

Additionally some are not as physical agile as some posters, what they can do in 15 minutes of walking might take a more "average" traveler 20 minutes or even more due to age, lots of bags, kids, ....

Us familiar with the airport, single agile frequent travelers experiences can be optimistic for many others.

In making these recommendations, I tend to add a "newbie" buffer.
Well said -- but an hour and 10 minutes on an incoming clean flight to get from Z to B -- I'd still say that's very doable - but given the current state of FRA it's worth it to look at other options....
Old Jun 16, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree "no worries" in the sense that LH will just rebook on next flight if you miss. Noting that FRA opps are a disaster right now. If traveling this summer, I might look for other options.
Can you provide more details about FRA ops being a disaster? Like kdoughboy, I have a 1:10 connection in FRA (SFO-FRA-NCE) on UA/LH metal in a few days. Flying J if it helps. I guess given what you and bmwe92fan I shouldn't really count on making the connection? Not sure what other options I have with UA at this point.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bioyuki
Can you provide more details about FRA ops being a disaster? Like kdoughboy, I have a 1:10 connection in FRA (SFO-FRA-NCE) on UA/LH metal in a few days. Flying J if it helps. I guess given what you and bmwe92fan I shouldn't really count on making the connection? Not sure what other options I have with UA at this point.
If your SFO-FRA flight is not delayed and your plane is not parked remotely, then you should make your connection. If you miss your connection, then LH will put you on the next flight to NCE. Plan ahead and check flight options FRA-NCE in case you misconnect and have to be rebooked. And if the cause of the misconnection is airline responsibility, then look into EU 261.
However, this does mean your anxiety level will be higher should anything happen.

Last edited by CIT85; Jun 16, 2022 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:20 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well said -- but an hour and 10 minutes on an incoming clean flight to get from Z to B -- I'd still say that's very doable - but given the current state of FRA it's worth it to look at other options....
There’s a lot of difference between SFO-FRA-EDI connection and SFO-FRA-NCE connection.

When discussing connections in FRA we need to consider:
1) what procedures (i.e. passport control, security) are needed
2) gate locations of arriving and departing flights

For US > FRA > Schengen (e.g. NCE) connection passengers must clear passport control
For US > FRA > non-Schengen (e.g. EDI) connection there is no need for passport control
So in theory SFO-FRA-EDI connection should be easier/quicker than SFO-FRA-NCE

SFO-FRA flight is likely to arrive at a Z gate
FRA-NCE flight is likely to depart from an A gate
FRA-EDI flight is likely to depart from a B gate

US is a “clean” country for security purposes meaning there should be no need for transfer security for passengers arriving from the US
Z > A transfer does not necessitate transfer security
But due to the layout of the airport Z > B transfer normally necessitates clearing transfer security
Skyline shuttle between Z and B is considered “unclean”
Hence my comment in my earlier post about a direct bus transfer between Z and B, which removes the need for transfer security

Confused?
All this (and more) explains why the FRA connection thread in the LH forum is still going strong after 6000+ posts.
CJ99, bioyuki and VRFast like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
And if the cause of the misconnection is airline responsibility, then look into EU 261.
EC.261 does not apply to a US departure operated by UA.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
There's been a lot of changes recently with LH -- here's a recent article: https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-c...cancellations/

As long as your flight from SFO arrives on time there shouldn't be an issue making your connection -- just follow the signs and you will clear passport control to enter the EU -- then assuming you arrive at the terminal (Z Gates) your flight will probably be departing from the A gates -- which is the same terminal you are in -- just one level down. If it is departing from the A gates you probably not even have to clear security... Good luck!
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Any chance a LH flight (Schengen) would leave from B (more specifically FRA-OSL)?
I would think it would be less likely a UA flight would park at B gates?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VRFast
Any chance a LH flight (Schengen) would leave from B (more specifically FRA-OSL)?
There are Schengen B gates which I didn’t know about until a recent FRA-CDG flight which boarded from B6.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by VRFast
Yes, it's possible (see upthread or the LH thread), although it usually goes from the A gates.
They usually park at the Z gates or a bus gate.

But you can't really predict what is going to happen. FRA is extremely complex and gate assignments are constantly changing. If a plane is late, it usually ends up at a bus gate, even it had been assigned a real gate, because they can't hold the gate without impacting other flights downstream. Of course, that then frees up the gate for a flight that was going to get a bus.

If you are on time arriving in FRA and are travelling on one ticket, you are within the MCT and stand a good chance of making the connection. If you miss the connection, most places have many other flights throughout the day, and LH will just put you on the next one.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
There's been a lot of changes recently with LH -- here's a recent article: https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-c...cancellations/

As long as your flight from SFO arrives on time there shouldn't be an issue making your connection -- just follow the signs and you will clear passport control to enter the EU -- then assuming you arrive at the terminal (Z Gates) your flight will probably be departing from the A gates -- which is the same terminal you are in -- just one level down. If it is departing from the A gates you probably not even have to clear security... Good luck!
Quintessential FRA advice!
StuMcIlwain likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:55 am

Thank you to all for your helpful and detailed replies! We ended up booking a one-stop itinerary in lieu of the aforementioned itinerary (SFO-FRA-EDI were legs two and three of a two-stop itinerary) and won't be going through FRA any longer. But this has been a learning experience regardless and I appreciate the knowledge and helpfulness of this community.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:53 pm

Would love to get feedback from all the experts here... have a J class itinerary SFO-EWR-FRA-MAA. There is a 95min connection in FRA, traveling as a family and haven't been through FRA in ages. Is it too tight? Don't think we have as many options for getting rebooked as the FRA-MAA is once every 2 days, so perhaps rerouted through DEL or BOM if we miss this?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mojomover
Would love to get feedback from all the experts here... have a J class itinerary SFO-EWR-FRA-MAA. There is a 95min connection in FRA, traveling as a family and haven't been through FRA in ages. Is it too tight? Don't think we have as many options for getting rebooked as the FRA-MAA is once every 2 days, so perhaps rerouted through DEL or BOM if we miss this?
You will have transfer security getting from Z to B (unless you seek out the bus, I'm not sure where it leaves from, nor it's cadence).

95 minutes should be plenty, presuming your inbound is not delayed significantly.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mojomover
I do this all the time (Z to B/C/D) and you should have plenty of time. As the other poster mentioned there is a bus that goes to B that would eliminate the security check -- but I've never been able to figure out the timing and availability of it -- sometimes there is a sign that says bus to B -- but most times you just follow the signs to the Airtrain and take it and get off at the right terminal stop... Since you are on LH you will most likely be going to terminal B for your connection. You have plenty of time so try not to worry too much!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

An award booking has me transferring through Frankfurt, LH HAJ > FRA > ZRH ... anything that is known about this scenario? Risk of bus gate, typical terminals, ....?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.