Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I've got a 60-minute connection booked (FCO-FRA to FRA-SFO) at the end of the month. I didn't think twice about it. I've done that connection in the past. I did once come very close to misconnecting (my inbound flight was late ... which I somehow didn't realize until I was halfway to the connection), but I did make it.

Actually, I did think twice. But when I realized that there were other FRA-SFO options on UA metal later that same day, I didn't hesitate further. I would expect to be accommodated ... somehow.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What are the actual timings? If you miss your ORD flight, you’ll get put on another one.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
FIgger da odds

Did similar recently. CDG-FRA landed at remote stand requiring bus transport to terminal. Had to clear passport control to make connection to US. The bus transport from plane to terminal was nerve wracking but biggest hurdle was be passport control, They have an express service for those with short connections, and we made it to our connecting flight with at least two or three minutes to spare.

If your CDG-FRA is significantly delayed LH will likely already have you booked on a backup flight. That's what they did with me on a delayed incoming to FRA. I did not care for what they had booked, was able to renegotiate with no problem to a better option.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
You don't have dates and flights, but it looks like you may have a 70 minute connection. Sixty is doable if you don't dawdle and your inbound is on time. Seventy is (obviously) even better.

Don't hold out your hopes for compensation if your inbound is a little late: there are three *A alternatives that get you to Chicago within the four-hour window, and a fourth which might.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
You don't have dates and flights, but it looks like you may have a 70 minute connection. Sixty is doable if you don't dawdle and your inbound is on time. Seventy is (obviously) even better.

Don't hold out your hopes for compensation if your inbound is a little late: there are three *A alternatives that get you to Chicago within the four-hour window, and a fourth which might.
Would rather get home than get compensation. Im traveling with a child, which makes me nervous. He wont delay us in getting to the gate, but I need to sit with him on the flight, even if we are rebooked.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If both flights end up at remote stands it could be a real challenge. If they're close to each other in term A/Z and the mini-immigration is open, it could be real easy.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I wouldn't chance it. UA's connection times are often iffy. 2 hours is probably doable, but 1 hour transit time in FRA is really pushing it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
I have a 65 min connection time on two PNRs on a late August flight UA EWR-ATH to A3 ATH-MLO. I know, in theory, the bags will interline. I purchased FASTTRACK. there is a 3 hour later flight, that I was considering purchasing a refundable Y ticket to hold space on the later A3 flight just in case of a misconnect. Any advise thought or suggestions are VERY appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
I just played this game and I'm not looking to repeat it. I had 60 minutes to make my connection and both passport control and security lines caused a near miss. My return flight was delayed and I had 45 minutes to connect back to DEN. Automated passport control leaving the EU is great, but secondary US security was painfully slow and again, after lots of running, it was another near miss as the last person to board. I'm personally going to stick with 2 hour connections at FRA and either not be rushed or enjoy the lounge. Not worth a missed international connection.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:55 pm

I've found a somewhat less palatable option for around the same price in that it has stops in both directions. But this time, there is a 75 minute connection in Amsterdam. It's about the same length of time, but it sounds like FRA is a particularly challenging airport to connect in? Would this be a better plan? Why do airlines offer options that require perfect luck to fall into place?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Having a child and not wanting to be delayed changes this calculus. What is the next best connection? If the timing works better and it does not cost appreciably more, why not book it and take your time and book the seats you want?

Either way, if you do misconnect, it will be LH's duty to rebook you and to take care of its duty of care, e.g. hotel & meals (if necessary).. The duty of care applies no matter the reason for the delay, so there are least no financial issues in a delay. But, as you point out, unles you get very lucky, the seating on your rebooked flight may be lousy.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Having a child and not wanting to be delayed changes this calculus. What is the next best connection? If the timing works better and it does not cost appreciably more, why not book it and take your time and book the seats you want?

Either way, if you do misconnect, it will be LH's duty to rebook you and to take care of its duty of care, e.g. hotel & meals (if necessary).. The duty of care applies no matter the reason for the delay, so there are least no financial issues in a delay. But, as you point out, unles you get very lucky, the seating on your rebooked flight may be lousy.
The problem was that there was nothing close to this price -- I can see that there are later flights, but UA's system would not allow me to book it in economy class. If I could have, I would have! My son is a great traveler and I don't mind waiting a few hours at the airport. We can sit in a lounge; we've done it many times. I've since found Delta flights that connect in both directions (one way was nonstop on UA) and is a bit more expensive, plus it is charging on each flight to select seats (which I always pay, because I really don't want to be arguing about sitting next to my son, even on short flights). So I've booked both and am pondering. There are very few packages in this price range, most are several hundred dollars higher.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by smgord
The problem was that there was nothing close to this price -- I can see that there are later flights, but UA's system would not allow me to book it in economy class. If I could have, I would have! My son is a great traveler and I don't mind waiting a few hours at the airport. We can sit in a lounge; we've done it many times. I've since found Delta flights that connect in both directions (one way was nonstop on UA) and is a bit more expensive, plus it is charging on each flight to select seats (which I always pay, because I really don't want to be arguing about sitting next to my son, even on short flights). So I've booked both and am pondering. There are very few packages in this price range, most are several hundred dollars higher.
What day and time are you flying?

I have done many 1-hour-ish connections at FRA and generally don't worry about them unless they are late in the afternoon (last flight of the day). They're tight, but doable as long as your inbound is on time.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:49 pm

Update: I called and tried to get UA to put me on the later flight. They wouldn't unless I paid the difference in fare, which is over $600. They said 50 minutes is considered enough time to connect, and I have 70 minutes.

It turns out I can book basic economy nonstop in each direction. By the time I pay for seats and checked bags, it will cost a few hundred more, and I will be in Basic Economy instead of Economy. Are there other differences I need to be aware of? Internationally, it doesn't seem like it is very different, assuming that I pay for my seats. I can still have a carry-on, etc. Is the only difference at that point boarding later?

Thank you so.much -- this has been very helpful. I am now running out of time. If I am going to cancel, I need to do so in the next couple of hours.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
What day and time are you flying?

I have done many 1-hour-ish connections at FRA and generally don't worry about them unless they are late in the afternoon (last flight of the day). They're tight, but doable as long as your inbound is on time.

It's a Sunday in July, first thing in the morning, around 8:30 AM is the time of the second flight. I've never been to FRA before and just feel like if the slightest thing goes wrong, we are in for it. I don't mind waiting for the next flight (in fact, I'd prefer to be booked on it), but what if it is full? Per below, wondering if I'd be better off booking nonstops in Basic Economy and paying for seats and luggage. It comes out a few hundred more, but I'm so conditioned of being afraid of Basic Economy that I'm not sure what else might be different, once I've paid for seats and bags. It seems like not much, but then why is the price difference to economy so much more?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.