Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Improved gate screening process?

During the gate screening before my US-bound flight from FRA, the first one for me this year, I got my sticker with no questions asked. Previously there were half a dozen questions like where are you flying from, who packed your bag, etc. Some of the other passengers did have to answer such questions. Does this represent a policy change? Are the questions optional now, depending on what comes up after the passport scan? This would be a welcome procedure enhancement.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Took me 45 minutes from arrival at A20 to getting to B56 today, and I managed to be the last person to board the bus to my flight (though as it turned out there were 4 stragglers who had to be brought on a later bus). My plan was to go from Z to A, and then use the tunnel across to B, but I was spaced out and ended up on the train to B. That wasn't bad - the delay was at security in B. I was sixth in line, and it took 19 minutes to get through.

That's actually the closest I've come to having a connection problem at FRA (that I can recall). Usually a breeze.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cricketer
Took me 45 minutes from arrival at A20 to getting to B56 today, and I managed to be the last person to board the bus to my flight (though as it turned out there were 4 stragglers who had to be brought on a later bus). My plan was to go from Z to A, and then use the tunnel across to B, but I was spaced out and ended up on the train to B. That wasn't bad - the delay was at security in B. I was sixth in line, and it took 19 minutes to get through.

That's actually the closest I've come to having a connection problem at FRA (that I can recall). Usually a breeze.
If you arrived at A20 (a Schengen gate) rather than what United calls A20 which is actually Z20 (a non-Schengen gate upstairs), the obvious and quickest route would have been the tunnel and passport control into B. If you arrived at Z20 it’s either Skyline train to B and transfer security or passport control twice and the tunnel. There is no straightforward route.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: united
Will we be able to access a lounge in FRA?

If we fly IAH - FRA - FCO with the first leg in UA Polaris on a GPU with our second leg on LH in economy, will we be able to access a lounge on our over 4 hour layover in FRA? Any single use passes we can buy if our ticket doesn't get us in one?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
You can definitely get in the Arrivals Lounge in the baggage area - really recommend. Get a hot shower and big breakfast, just have to re-clear security to go to FCO. But 4 hours should be more than enough time for that
bariww likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bariww
If we fly IAH - FRA - FCO with the first leg in UA Polaris on a GPU with our second leg on LH in economy, will we be able to access a lounge on our over 4 hour layover in FRA? Any single use passes we can buy if our ticket doesn't get us in one?
Yes, you will have access to the SEN lounge in A.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I believe it's the Biz lounge, unless the OP is *Gold.
bariww likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I believe it's the Biz lounge, unless the OP is *Gold.
You're right. I just assumed they were *Gold, having GPUs. Since we don't know, your advice is the most accurate.
Dublin_rfk and bariww like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
You're right. I just assumed they were *Gold, having GPUs. Since we don't know, your advice is the most accurate.
Good call, and if they are indeed *Gold any questions related to the economy leg to FCO are moot. They will have access to the SEN lounges at FRA as *Gold. No need to go landside for this (the arrivals lounge is landside). The SEN lounges (or at least some of them) also have showers if so desired.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Just for my understanding. Assuming no status, you'd still get access to LH lounges with this itinerary? I know a UC would let you in (coming off a United Polaris flight), but I thought *A lounge access was always about your departing flight (economy in this case).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1k
I recently upgraded my brother on HKG-MUC from Economy to biz using a GPU, and they let him into the LH biz lounge even though he was flying economy on his onward leg out of MUC
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JHake10
Just for my understanding. Assuming no status, you'd still get access to LH lounges with this itinerary? I know a UC would let you in (coming off a United Polaris flight), but I thought *A lounge access was always about your departing flight (economy in this case).
In absence of *G status, arrival from UA business does not entitle OP to use the LH business lounge, since a departing business class BP is required for access. However, as @revigik had pointed out, OP can exit security and use the arrival lounge.

Originally Posted by mrt88
I recently upgraded my brother on HKG-MUC from Economy to biz using a GPU, and they let him into the LH biz lounge even though he was flying economy on his onward leg out of MUC
Were both segments on LH? I think that makes a difference. OP is arriving on a UA flight, with second segment in LH economy.
sbm12 and JHake10 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To have access at LH departure lounges, the OP would need to be
- *G or
- UC member

Arrival on UA in Polaris Cabin would not provide access
Use of Chase UC lounge passes would not provide access

Access, if before noon, to FRA LH Arrivals Lounge would be allowed due to the UA Polaris cabin arrival
However given the scheduled arrival of the UA IAH-FRA of 11:15AM, this will be tough to clear entry and make it to the arrivals lounge before it closes.
sbm12 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Were both segments on LH? I think that makes a difference. OP is arriving on a UA flight, with second segment in LH economy.
ah yeah in this case it was LH biz -> LH econ
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PTahCha
In absence of *G status, arrival from UA business does not entitle OP to use the LH business lounge, since a departing business class BP is required for access.
Thanks for the conformation. I knew I wasn't crazy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.