Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
An hour in FRA should be fine. At the UA gate, make sure you go to the security people (at two podiums) to get a sticker on your bp.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Either one hour Frankfurt or one hour ten minutes Munich are doable- unless there's a delay on the LH flight. I'd recommend scheduling at least two hours in either airport, however.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
An hour in FRA should be fine. At the UA gate, make sure you go to the security people (at two podiums) to get a sticker on your bp.
Sticker? When you are getting on the TATL flight?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sannmann
Either one hour Frankfurt or one hour ten minutes Munich are doable- unless there's a delay on the LH flight. I'd recommend scheduling at least two hours in either airport, however.
This. I fly ZAG-FRA-IAD and with a 1 hour 15 min connection, I feel rushed.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Depending where your Florence flight lands at A gates, it may take a good 10 ten minutes to find an elevator to Z gates. Then, you have to go through customs. The passport line was pretty short for me last Friday. At your UA flight gate, you will need to get a sticker on your passport before boarding.
So, if your connection flight from Florence is on time and the plane is not parking at a remote site, you should be able to make it in 60 min. Good luck.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:18 am

Florence Italy to FRA Lufthansa
FRA to Washington DC IAD United (old 777)

Pisa Italy to MUC Lufthansa
MUC to Washington DC IAD Lufthansa

Other options that I am thinking about are
on BA Pisa Italy to BWI via London

on Air France Florence Italy to Washington DC via Paris
Old May 2, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Is connecting in Zurich an option? I prefer connecting there over FRA and MUC. SWISS is pretty punctual (it's a national trait) and the airport is easy to connect in, with a train that takes you to the E concourse.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:27 am

I dont think going via Zurich is an option unless my journey back to the states wants to be a 2 stops.

Rewinding my girlfriend & I are going to be at a wedding 1 hour outside of Pisa and Florence Italy. We are trying to make it back home to Washington DC area by Sunday Sept 03 (night) for an event on labor day. If we went to zurich I think the connection if any is 50 minutes. I think the four options are as follow...

1. Air france via Paris with 2.5 hours
2. BA via London with 2 hours
3. Lufthansa via Frankfurt with 1 hour
4. Lufthansa via Munich with 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Any other options I am open to suggestions, but I do need to drive from the wedding area to an airport
Old May 2, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
This. I fly ZAG-FRA-IAD and with a 1 hour 15 min connection, I feel rushed.
While I suspect that 60 mins is a "legal" connection I agree that one hour is more than a little tight (but I suppose doable). I pass through FRA several times a year and anything less than 1 hour 15 and I feel rushed and nervous. Plus at one hour you leave no room for error.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Sticker? When you are getting on the TATL flight?
Yes. All part of US bureaucracy.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
ZRH

Originally Posted by sannmann
Is connecting in Zurich an option? I prefer connecting there over FRA and MUC. SWISS is pretty punctual (it's a national trait) and the airport is easy to connect in, with a train that takes you to the E concourse.
I passed through ZRH from IAD last Tuesday. The security line to Terminal A was extremely slow (30+ min). Only one lane was open. A security staffer argued with a pax and told the pax not to fly through ZRH again. I guess that this does not happen very often.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:32 am

Going to fly Business Class home, but that regional jet parking romote from the airport at FRA doesn't excite me. These are the only four options vs myself trying to drive through the dark to get back to either Pisa or Florence.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Beware of potential delays in Florence

Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Florence Italy to FRA Lufthansa
FRA to Washington DC IAD United (old 777)
Runways in Florence are short and face a tall mountain, so there is basically one way in and out. When winds aren't right - many days in Spring/Summer - the go around rate is high, and flights often divert to Bologna.

Is Bologna an option? It's a much larger airport than Pisa or Florence, and the have 4 mainline LH flights a day to FRA (vs CityLine). It's only 1 hour 15 by car from central Florence

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2017 at 12:23 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Yes. All part of US bureaucracy.

3 TATLs out of MUC and FRA in the past 5 months, last one in late March and I never got a sticker? A stamp after going through the last ditch security?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:37 am

Open to all options. However, the wedding is right in the middle between Florence and Pisa. So if Bologna is an option basically im driving through Florence to get there. Rome is another option to however that is 3 hours to the south. Nonstops leave in the morning so making a connection before heading over to the states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.