Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:37 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I have a flight booked on UA901 on the 24th in F.

The first sector is BHX-FRA in J on LH. The BHX flight almost always parks at the furthest remote stand possible @ FRA and the connection is 1:40.

I have been looking Flightstats looking at the reliability of the BHX-FRA flight is and it rarely leaves on time and often carries a delay of >30 min. This makes me very worried.

So my question is, given that UA901 leaves from the A pier, and the buses come into the B pier, how doable is my connection?

What's the quickest way to get to the A pier?
I often connect from MAN to a longhaul in FRA with the connecting time of 1 hr 35 mins and have never had any problem (except on Christmas day but that's another story). Even if your BHX flight arrives 30 mins late you should be ok.

Although it's a long time since I connected from a flight ex-UK to a longhaul departing from an A gate, I think the route to follow will be as follows: From the bus arrival gate in B you go up the escalator or the lift to level 3, follow the signs to A51-65 gates (the same direction as C gates) which should take you to the Skyline train platform, take the train to Pier A and walk to your departure gate. There may be security check as you get off the Skyline train in Pier A.

Although you are connecting from LH to UA, you may like to take a look at the following thread in the M&M forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...on-thread.html

I'm afraid I cannot answer your other questions.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
If you're coming from within Schengen (and transfer "properly"), you will NOT have a security check, but you WILL have an outbound passport check.
IME, all U.S. bound flights require an extra security check. Would love, to learn about the contrary!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by cesco.g
IME, all U.S. bound flights require an extra security check. Would love, to learn about the contrary!
It varies from time to time depending on alert level.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I often connect from MAN to a longhaul in FRA with the connecting time of 1 hr 35 mins and have never had any problem (except on Christmas day but that's another story). Even if your BHX flight arrives 30 mins late you should be ok.

Although it's a long time since I connected from a flight ex-UK to a longhaul departing from an A gate, I think the route to follow will be as follows: From the bus arrival gate in B you go up the escalator or the lift to level 3, follow the signs to A51-65 gates (the same direction as C gates) which should take you to the Skyline train platform, take the train to Pier A and walk to your departure gate. There may be security check as you get off the Skyline train in Pier A.

Although you are connecting from LH to UA, you may like to take a look at the following thread in the M&M forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...on-thread.html

I'm afraid I cannot answer your other questions.
Thanks NewbieRunner ^
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
ORD-FRA-CPT Baggage retrieval in FRA

Flying On UA/ LH ORD-FRA-CPT with a 12hr layover in FRA. Was going to check my bags all the way through but wanted to be able to access a single bag in FRA. 2 questions.

1-any luck with a check in agent willing to check a bag only to a connection city with having a very long layover and sending rest of bags all the way to final destination?

2-In FRA, do you have to claim bags and go through customs like here in the US and may have an opportunity to grab a bag and not recheck it immediately?

Any other suggestions or insight on this would be appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by joeljack

2-In FRA, do you have to claim bags and go through customs like here in the US and may have an opportunity to grab a bag and not recheck it immediately?
When connecting in Europe there is no custom to go through, so you will not have access to bags tagged for your final destination.

I think that you may ask to short check a bag if you have an overnight connection, but not sure.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I routinely short check bags flying through FRA. LH has always allowed this for me. However, I have never tried to short check 1 bag and have another go all the way through.

Why not just take a smaller bag on board with you?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Is a 45 min. connection at FRA to CPH doable? "DAY-IAD-FRA-CPH"

Looking over some award flight options from DAY to CPH. One option is DAY-IAD-FRA-CPH. However, the connection time at FRA is only 45 min. Wouldn't I have to go through immigration and customs, and therefore 45 min. not possible? Fortunately, there is another FRA-CPH flight that leaves about and hour and a half later that I should probably select vs. the 45 min. connection time, however, getting to CPH sooner would be better if a 45 min. connection time was doable. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by swdke
Looking over some award flight options from DAY to CPH. One option is DAY-IAD-FRA-CPH. However, the connection time at FRA is only 45 min. Wouldn't I have to go through immigration and customs, and therefore 45 min. not possible? Fortunately, there is another FRA-CPH flight that leaves about and hour and a half later that I should probably select vs. the 45 min. connection time, however, getting to CPH sooner would be better if a 45 min. connection time was doable. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
That's an almost impossible connection at FRA. UA almost always arrives at a remote pad rather than a gate. You wait for all pax to deplane down stairs, 5 minute bus ride to the terminal. No C&I, but there is a slow security check. There can also then be a quite long walk to the LH gate. Save yourself the anguish and book the later one.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
It's possible, but there is little margin. If you land at the A gates, and it's not busy, you go through immigration, security and customs on the way downstairs, and if the flight to CPH is right there, all is well.

On the other hand, if you arrive via the bus, you then have a longer line, farther away from the flight, and it's very questionable.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:29 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Is it doable? Yes.
Is it advisable? Certainly not.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:53 am

I agree with other posters that it might be doable but not advisable. Arriving from the US and connecting to CPH, you will have to go through immigration since Denmark is in Schengen but not customs. All arrivals from outside Schengen will also have to go through security screening before connecting to another flight.

You may also like to check the FRA connection thread in the M&M forum.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Is it doable? Yes.
Is it advisable? Certainly not. .
+1. Consider the likelihood of the remote gate, the need to clear immigration since you're going non-Schengen to Schengen (but not Customs until you reach CPH) and also needing to clear security again. I'd book the longer connection -- it's only a 90 minute delay getting to CPH.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I didn't need to go through another check from my last trip in January (CDG-FRA-SFO).

There is a stand at the entrance of terminal A, they only want to see my BP. There is no X-ray machine at the entrance but there are two people, one man the stand and another sit on a chair nearby, probably to perform manual check if necessary?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by wendySFO
I didn't need to go through another check from my last trip in January (CDG-FRA-SFO).
If connecting from a Schengen country (e.g. France) there's no additional security check. However, depending on the level of security alert additional screening is necessary for US bound flights only from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.