FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1059776-consolidated-fra-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international.html)

Bob'sYourUncle Oct 6, 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd (Post 14639356)
There were no elite lines at passport control (30-minute wait), long lines at security (45-minute wait). These procedures (passport and security) were for everyone simply to change planes. I had arrived from the U.S. and had a connection at FRA (FRA - VIE).
-

So? There's no elite lines at passport control in the US either. There are equivalent lines for security at US airports, too. Those procedures, passport and security, are for everyone to simply change planes at any US airport, too. If you arrive from outside the US, and have a connection, you have to undergo them as well.

This part of your argument is not valid.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 14594565)

5. Inadequate and poorly designed airport toilet facilities.

Completely agree with this. How the toilet facilities in the non-Schengen part of terminal A ever made it past any planning & architectural approval is a mystery. Clearly they were an afterthought.

cesco.g Oct 6, 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 14639268)
And we'd be sad. That was among the worst of the worst in terms of RCCs. The SEN lounges, even at their busiest, are a huge improvement.

The most important was the UA staff at hand, which helped me on many occasions!

GreekDeno Oct 14, 2010 5:56 pm

What's best to connect through: FRA, MUC, ZRH?

Booking a ticket to Athens in Dec and it's basically same price and time through the three cities on the return.

ZRH will be on Swiss; FRA, MUC on Lufthansa. Both returns to DEN are on UA metal.

dgcpaphd Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle (Post 14898544)

So? There's no elite lines at passport control in the US either. There are equivalent lines for security at US airports, too. - - snip snip

This is not completely correct.

If one is enrolled in Global Entry, there is no need to get in line for immigration. Enrollment is simple and costs peanuts for a five-year access to the machines that allow us to by-pass immigration lines.

Having this "pass" has saved me from enduring many hours in lines when several large aircraft arrive simultaneously and cause immigration lines to be long.

There is a similar program for Canada and Amsterdam where the lines can often be quite long.
-

gaobest Oct 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by rockrich (Post 14649851)
I'm getting nervous reading this thread. Specifically transferring to 901 at FRA, coming from CDG on LH. We have one hour 10 min. Is that enough for passport checks etc? Should we try to standby for an earlier LH flight at CDG to give us a bigger cushion? When I booked the connection was completely legal, but now I wonder...

In April we had a similar situation but we had 2 hours instead of 70 minutes. I asked (in Dec/Jan) on FT and the consensus was that this was plenty of time.

And what happened for us was that we landed remotely and all PAX awaited a bus which then dropped us off somewhere at FRA. We walked to our gate and did NOT have any security or passport control. We went to the LH SEN lounge near our gate.

We got our UA901 BP from LH at CDG.

I am very certain that the 70 minute connection would also have been enough time, as we definitely spent a lot of time at the LH SEN lounge!

Hopefully others here will also share their experiences about this.

Bob'sYourUncle Oct 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd (Post 14948339)
If one is enrolled in Global Entry

1. Very very few non-USers have access to this. 2. It's a paid program.

If you're not in GE or a USer, waits of 30+ minutes are standard. Why wouldn't it work the other way around too?

Bob'sYourUncle Oct 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 14973897)
We walked to our gate and did NOT have any security or passport control.

If you're coming from within Schengen (and transfer "properly"), you will NOT have a security check, but you WILL have an outbound passport check.

rebech34 Nov 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Connecting to a LH flight in FRA

Hello there - CO *G here....
I'm flying on Tuesday, November 30th IAH -IAD (UA METAL) - FRA (UA METAL) - OPO (LH METAL). The trip was booked via CO.com.
I'm flying Y.

Upon check in at IAH, will united print my LH BP or will I need to retrive it in FRA?
It's only a couple of hours flight but I really don't want to find myself stuck in a middle seat....

Thanks!

BlueZebra Nov 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by rebech34 (Post 15324506)
Hello there - CO *G here....
I'm flying on Tuesday, November 30th IAH -IAD (UA METAL) - FRA (UA METAL) - OPO (LH METAL). The trip was booked via CO.com.
I'm flying Y.

Upon check in at IAH, will united print my LH BP or will I need to retrive it in FRA?
It's only a couple of hours flight but I really don't want to find myself stuck in a middle seat....

Thanks!

Well, in August, we flew UA SFO-FRA, then LH FRA to FCO. Was able to print LH BP from home before we left home, and when checking our bags at SFO, United SFO offered to print our LH BP if we hadn't already. So, I think you should be print it beforwe you leave home, or at IAH when you check in.

We were in Business.

mauiUAflyer Nov 28, 2010 9:28 pm

If the LH leg is on the same PNR as the UA legs, then yes, you should be able to print all of your BPs upon check-in. We did this in October; SFO-FRA-PRG, and return.

Miles Ahead Nov 29, 2010 2:24 am

Originally Posted by rebech34 (Post 15324506)

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I've flown US to Frankfurt at least 100 times, and while usually I get the BP all the way, about one time in five I don't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

wendySFO Nov 29, 2010 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead (Post 15327165)
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I've flown US to Frankfurt at least 100 times, and while usually I get the BP all the way, about one time in five I don't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Same experience for me, most of the times I get the BP from the originating airport all the way but some times I only get the first leg. Usually this is Lufthansa and United connection for me.

Today I checked in at CDG to Frankfurt on LH and then UA to SFO and I didn't get my FRA-SFO BP. The LH agent told me the system won't let him as there is a weather problem.

At CDG LH Lounge now and flight to FRA is delayed due to weather problem, hope can still make the FRA to SFO flight.

rebech34 Dec 4, 2010 7:27 am

Not so simple....

So I managed to get my FRA - OPO B/P at IAD before taking off to FRA.
Unfortunetly, the combination of the flight leaving late and bad weather made me miss my connection in FRA.
So I go to the LH service center airside. Waiting 1.5 hours (!!). eventually, the guy tells me that I was rebooked on a TAP flight via Lisbon, but they can issue the BP becasue it is UA responsability and they have re-ticket the UA portion in order for LH to print the BP.
So....I now have to run OUTSIDE to the Check in counters, have UA issue a new ticket for the FRA -OPO portion, and run back, through security (living nightmare) to try and catch the flight that, BTW, was late.
26 hours in total.
Did I mention my two suitcases were left back in FRA?
They made it a couple of days later....

wendySFO Dec 4, 2010 9:37 am

I had similar experience. The LH service desk said they can't access UA system to print my boarding pass. I was in Terminal A near Tower Lounge so I just went there to get my BP. The LH service desk didn't know there is a UA personel can access UA system in the airport and was surprised to find out. She did call for me to make sure the UA agent is still there and I was lucky there was no one checking by the elevator as I didn't have a BP to get access.

Not sure which terminal you were, sounds terminal B I guess. If you were in Terminal A, you can try Tower Lounge near Gate 65 for a UA personel.

Tiger_lily Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

Question about LH/UA connection @ FRA

Hi everyone

I have a flight booked on UA901 on the 24th in F.

The first sector is BHX-FRA in J on LH. The BHX flight almost always parks at the furthest remote stand possible @ FRA and the connection is 1:40.

I have been looking Flightstats looking at the reliability of the BHX-FRA flight is and it rarely leaves on time and often carries a delay of >30 min. This makes me very worried.

So my question is, given that UA901 leaves from the A pier, and the buses come into the B pier, how doable is my connection?

What's the quickest way to get to the A pier?

Will UA901 be held as we are a party of 4? Unlikely I would have thought?

If LH causes the delay who do I go after for reprotection if we miss the connection? LH under the EU regs?

Anybody know if LH will be able to issue BP's at BHX for UA901?

Does it make more sense for us to change to an earlier flight out of BHX to guarantee the connection especially as there's nothing else to SFO from FRA that day?

Many thanks is advance :)