Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Old Jan 6, 20, 5:00 am
  #856  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 303
FRA, UAL/LH separate tickets/logistics

We have separate tickets, not the same PNR, ORD to FRA, then FRA to FLR. Is 2 hours enough time on Saturday at 6 am to:
deplane the ORD/FRA flight
collect luggage
Go through customs
check bags with LH, check into FRA/FLR flight
get through security (I am 1k, others general)
be at the gate for on time boarding?

let me know if this is reasonably possible or if there is anything I missed.

thanks
jimdarcy is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:46 am
  #857  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,409
Originally Posted by jimdarcy View Post
We have separate tickets, not the same PNR, ORD to FRA, then FRA to FLR. Is 2 hours enough time on Saturday at 6 am to:
deplane the ORD/FRA flight
collect luggage
Go through customs
check bags with LH, check into FRA/FLR flight
get through security (I am 1k, others general)
be at the gate for on time boarding?

let me know if this is reasonably possible or if there is anything I missed.

thanks
Early morning is a busy time in FRA for longhaul arrivals. I would not attempt what you propose with separate tickets. You are likely to arrive at a Z gate and will have to clear passport control to enter Germany/Schengen before collecting your luggage. With several other longhaul arrivals around 6am waiting time could be considerable. Customs on the other hand will be a breeze. You will then have to walk over to LH check-in counters to re-check your luggage and go through security into A concourse. As reported in this thread in the LH forum A security check points have often been very slow recently even if you can use priority lanes as *G.

Iím not sure if UA in ORD will through check your luggage to FLR if you show them your BP for the LH flight. If they do it will increase your chance of catching the flight to FLR substantially.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:54 am
  #858  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Early morning is a busy time in FRA for longhaul arrivals. I would not attempt what you propose with separate tickets. You are likely to arrive at a Z gate and will have to clear passport control to enter Germany/Schengen before collecting your luggage. With several other longhaul arrivals around 6am waiting time could be considerable. Customs on the other hand will be a breeze. You will then have to walk over to LH check-in counters to re-check your luggage and go through security into A concourse. As reported in this thread in the LH forum A security check points have often been very slow recently even if you can use priority lanes as *G.

Iím not sure if UA in ORD will through check your luggage to FLR if you show them your BP for the LH flight. If they do it will increase your chance of catching the flight to FLR substantially.
thanks for the feedback. Is there any way to research luggage check through possibilities from ORD all the way to FLR now for a flight in April?
jimdarcy is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:51 am
  #859  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,409
Originally Posted by jimdarcy View Post
thanks for the feedback. Is there any way to research luggage check through possibilities from ORD all the way to FLR now for a flight in April?
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Feb 23, 20, 7:01 am
  #860  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,914
Hi,

Long time that I connected through Frankfurt (avoided it) but maybe this is the year to do it. I have two options both one ticket/ on LH and in business
HAJ-FRA-EWR arriving FRA 12:20 and departing 13:20 or arriving 11:30 departing 13:20 >> 1h or 1h50min
With long distances and possible secondary security,..... I would probably go for the longer connection or is it "easy" because the gates are close?
blitzen is online now  
Old Feb 23, 20, 7:31 am
  #861  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: No. California
Programs: UA MP HH
Posts: 1,179
First, there will be secondary security. Not "possible", there will be.

Your fight from HAJ might involve parking at a stand and a bus, and a B gate.

So, for comfort, I would take the longer connection time. Worst case you have to hang out at a Lounge for a while.
BlueZebra is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 7:42 am
  #862  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DUS
Programs: United-1K+1MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold, PriorityClub-Platin-Ambassador
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
First, there will be secondary security. Not "possible", there will be.

Your fight from HAJ might involve parking at a stand and a bus, and a B gate.

So, for comfort, I would take the longer connection time. Worst case you have to hang out at a Lounge for a while.
There will be just a passportcontroll to leave the shengenzone as you enter the Z-Gates.
truncated and VRFast like this.
zappa42m is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 8:00 am
  #863  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,736
As mentioned above, there will be a passport check to exit Europe but no further security. One hour is doable but a bit tight, especially if you end up at a bus gate and/or your inbound flight is a bit late. I'd take the 1hr50min connection.
StuMcIlwain is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 11:14 am
  #864  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,914
Thanks! Going for the 1:50 connection .... unfortunately not first the transfer always comes in handy in FRA
blitzen is online now  
Old Feb 23, 20, 12:16 pm
  #865  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,409
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Thanks! Going for the 1:50 connection .... unfortunately not first the transfer always comes in handy in FRA
I would opt for a 1h50m connection as well. There may be ďrandomĒ secondary security for US departures.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Mar 11, 20, 4:40 pm
  #866  
RJ1
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 549
Looking at LAX-SFO-FRA-BCN in C, where I'd have 1hr10min connection in FRA, from UA 58 to LH 1130. Is that enough time in FRA for a UA to LH connection?
RJ1 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:35 pm
  #867  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,736
Originally Posted by RJ1 View Post
Looking at LAX-SFO-FRA-BCN in C, where I'd have 1hr10min connection in FRA, from UA 58 to LH 1130. Is that enough time in FRA for a UA to LH connection?
It's enough if SFO-FRA is on time and there aren't long lineups at passport control, without much to spare. I'd look at a longer layover if possible, especially if you have lounge access where you could grab a shower and breakfast.
StuMcIlwain is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:20 pm
  #868  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYZ/YTZ/YUL
Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by RJ1 View Post
Looking at LAX-SFO-FRA-BCN in C, where I'd have 1hr10min connection in FRA, from UA 58 to LH 1130. Is that enough time in FRA for a UA to LH connection?
As StuMcIlwain said, it should be enough time if there is no delay, but anything more than a few minutes' delay may mean that you risk missing the connection. But in that case LH would re-book you on a later flight - you may want to look into how many later options to BCN there are, and consider how much of a problem such a rebooking would be for you.
TravellingSalesman is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:50 pm
  #869  
RJ1
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain View Post
It's enough if SFO-FRA is on time and there aren't long lineups at passport control, without much to spare. I'd look at a longer layover if possible, especially if you have lounge access where you could grab a shower and breakfast.
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
As StuMcIlwain said, it should be enough time if there is no delay, but anything more than a few minutes' delay may mean that you risk missing the connection. But in that case LH would re-book you on a later flight - you may want to look into how many later options to BCN there are, and consider how much of a problem such a rebooking would be for you.
Thank you both. There is another LH flight from FRA to BCN two hours later, so I presume I'd be re-booked on that flight in case my flight from SFO is delayed. Looking at recent stats, UA 58 has a pretty good on-time record. So I think I may take my chances on the tighter connection. I've connected in FRA once before but it has been awhile. As I recall, the key is to follow the directional signs.
RJ1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: