Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at FRA

Reply

Old Mar 17, 19, 1:25 pm
  #826  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 38,482
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
FRA has its issues, but it is, at least in my book, not such a terrible airport.
Agree. I don't mind FRA at all, apart from the remote stands and the long walks.
worldclubber likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:32 pm
  #827  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,911
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agree. I don't mind FRA at all, apart from the remote stands and the long walks.
My last flight into FRA was from RIX and we parked at the furthest remote gate which was a record for me. I jokingly made a comment to the FA about it who replied "but look, the buses are already waiting for us!".
TomMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:34 pm
  #828  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 2,288
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agree. I don't mind FRA at all, apart from the remote stands and the long walks.


And occassionally (transfer) security can be slow.

Other than that: its clean and LH has some decent lounges for business class pax and Senators/*gold with apron views and excellent First Class facilities there. Most recent and great addition for business class pax: the Panorama Lounge at the A gates.
Kacee likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:36 pm
  #829  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 2,288
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
My last flight into FRA was from RIX and we parked at the furthest remote gate which was a record for me. I jokingly made a comment to the FA about it who replied "but look, the buses are already waiting for us!".
So what are you complaining about.

Remote stands are not great, no doubt about that, but not the end of the world either.
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:56 pm
  #830  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 38,482
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
My last flight into FRA was from RIX and we parked at the furthest remote gate which was a record for me. I jokingly made a comment to the FA about it who replied "but look, the buses are already waiting for us!".
As remote stand arrivals/departures go, I'll take LH at FRA over TG at BKK, NH at NRT, or KA at HKG. I recently had my worst ever remote stand experience at NRT departing for BKK. They pack the bus like it's the Tokyo metro. Then we sat on the tarmac for about 20 minutes before they allowed us to board.
worldclubber likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:05 pm
  #831  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,911
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post


So what are you complaining about.

Remote stands are not great, no doubt about that, but not the end of the world either.
Definitely not the end of the world. Just don't park at the end of the world


Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
As remote stand arrivals/departures go, I'll take LH at FRA over TG at BKK, NH at NRT, or KA at HKG. I recently had my worst ever remote stand experience at NRT departing for BKK. They pack the bus like it's the Tokyo metro. Then we sat on the tarmac for about 20 minutes before they allowed us to board.
I had a similar experience on TP at DKR during summer where the bus's AC was operating on African time!
TomMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:44 pm
  #832  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix
Programs: UA LT GS/4.6MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire Elite, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Posts: 481
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
A -> Z connections are among the easiest and quickest I know. Decent lounges. What is so terrifying w/ FRA connections?
The issue with FRA is the unpredictability of transfer times. I was there last week, arriving at about 6:30am and it took a full hour to get through passport control. Fortunately I had a 2 hour connection so it worked out fine but sometimes I can get through passport controll in 5 or 10 minutes. I also frequently have connections with a 60 to 90 minute window.

Is there any way someone with a US passport can arrange to use the automatic gates setup for EU citizens? I have this in Korea (SeS) and its great.
John Aldeborgh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 2:53 pm
  #833  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,911
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post

Is there any way someone with a US passport can arrange to use the automatic gates setup for EU citizens? I have this in Korea (SeS) and its great.
Yes, EasyPass which I am enrolled in.
TomMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 3:28 pm
  #834  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 8,243
I would check out EasyPass-RTP Enrollment for more info on enrolling when at FRA.
findark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 3:28 pm
  #835  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,073
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
oh wow, that sucks. They were definitely there in January. Hmmmm. What time of the day was it?
Around 6:30-7am but she was very clear they are no longer there at all.
chavala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 4:03 pm
  #836  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 2,288
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post

The issue with FRA is the unpredictability of transfer times. I was there last week, arriving at about 6:30am and it took a full hour to get through passport control.
Thats what every single arrival at a US airport is like for us Europeans: minutes or hours, practically unpredictable
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:12 am
  #837  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,062
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Around 6:30-7am but she was very clear they are no longer there at all.
My wife was told by an United agent at the gate that the change happened in early March.

Our transfers from Z to A and A to Z were very easy. We waited exactly 0 minutes to pass border control as there was nobody in the line. The Z to A was at 5:30 AM. The A to Z was at 10:30 AM. Both were mid-week.

However, I have to say that on the return I was just following the other passengers after getting out of the bus and I nearly got out of the secure area. My wife managed to alert me just in time. She would have been very unhappy as I had her passport in my pocket.
StuckinITH is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread