Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by worldclubber
FRA has its issues, but it is, at least in my book, not such a terrible airport.
Agree. I don't mind FRA at all, apart from the remote stands and the long walks.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree. I don't mind FRA at all, apart from the remote stands and the long walks.
My last flight into FRA was from RIX and we parked at the furthest remote gate which was a record for me. I jokingly made a comment to the FA about it who replied "but look, the buses are already waiting for us!".
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
^

And occassionally (transfer) security can be slow.

Other than that: it‘s clean and LH has some decent lounges for business class pax and Senators/*gold with apron views and excellent First Class facilities there. Most recent and great addition for business class pax: the Panorama Lounge at the A gates.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
My last flight into FRA was from RIX and we parked at the furthest remote gate which was a record for me. I jokingly made a comment to the FA about it who replied "but look, the buses are already waiting for us!".
So what are you complaining about.

Remote stands are not great, no doubt about that, but not the end of the world either.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomMM
As remote stand arrivals/departures go, I'll take LH at FRA over TG at BKK, NH at NRT, or KA at HKG. I recently had my worst ever remote stand experience at NRT departing for BKK. They pack the bus like it's the Tokyo metro. Then we sat on the tarmac for about 20 minutes before they allowed us to board.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

So what are you complaining about.

Remote stands are not great, no doubt about that, but not the end of the world either.
Definitely not the end of the world. Just don't park at the end of the world

As remote stand arrivals/departures go, I'll take LH at FRA over TG at BKK, NH at NRT, or KA at HKG. I recently had my worst ever remote stand experience at NRT departing for BKK. They pack the bus like it's the Tokyo metro. Then we sat on the tarmac for about 20 minutes before they allowed us to board.
I had a similar experience on TP at DKR during summer where the bus's AC was operating on African time!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:44 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by cfischer
A -> Z connections are among the easiest and quickest I know. Decent lounges. What is so terrifying w/ FRA connections?
The issue with FRA is the unpredictability of transfer times. I was there last week, arriving at about 6:30am and it took a full hour to get through passport control. Fortunately I had a 2 hour connection so it worked out fine but sometimes I can get through passport controll in 5 or 10 minutes. I also frequently have connections with a 60 to 90 minute window.

Is there any way someone with a US passport can arrange to use the automatic gates setup for EU citizens? I have this in Korea (SeS) and it’s great.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

Is there any way someone with a US passport can arrange to use the automatic gates setup for EU citizens? I have this in Korea (SeS) and it’s great.
Yes, EasyPass which I am enrolled in.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would check out EasyPass-RTP Enrollment for more info on enrolling when at FRA.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
oh wow, that sucks. They were definitely there in January. Hmmmm. What time of the day was it?
Around 6:30-7am but she was very clear they are no longer there at all.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

The issue with FRA is the unpredictability of transfer times. I was there last week, arriving at about 6:30am and it took a full hour to get through passport control.
That‘s what every single arrival at a US airport is like for us Europeans: minutes or hours, practically unpredictable
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
Around 6:30-7am but she was very clear they are no longer there at all.
My wife was told by an United agent at the gate that the change happened in early March.

Our transfers from Z to A and A to Z were very easy. We waited exactly 0 minutes to pass border control as there was nobody in the line. The Z to A was at 5:30 AM. The A to Z was at 10:30 AM. Both were mid-week.

However, I have to say that on the return I was just following the other passengers after getting out of the bus and I nearly got out of the secure area. My wife managed to alert me just in time. She would have been very unhappy as I had her passport in my pocket.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I'm flying TPA-EWR-FRA-GOT tomorrow, and the last leg, FRA-GOT is on Lufthansa (016 stock, UA Flight #, operated by LH). I checked in on the United App and it gave me all three boarding passes (TPA-EWR, EWR-FRA, and FRA-GOT).

I thought I was going to have to get a paper boarding pass for the LH flight, but am I good to go with the BP in the UA App?? If so, that is great news!

Also, I've got a nice 3 hour connection which should be good based on everything I've read here. This is my first time transiting through FRA (I'm routing through MUC on the return). Suggestions? Tips? Advice?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jonisflying
I thought I was going to have to get a paper boarding pass for the LH flight, but am I good to go with the BP in the UA App?? If so, that is great news!
Yes, but it's always good to have a paper backup just in case.

Originally Posted by jonisflying
Also, I've got a nice 3 hour connection which should be good based on everything I've read here. This is my first time transiting through FRA (I'm routing through MUC on the return). Suggestions? Tips? Advice?
Follow the signs and enjoy the SEN lounge?

There's not a lot special to FRA in my opinion unless you're in F; just a large and (I disagree with others here) efficient hub.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, but it's always good to have a paper backup just in case.

Follow the signs and enjoy the SEN lounge?

There's not a lot special to FRA in my opinion unless you're in F; just a large and (I disagree with others here) efficient hub.

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.