Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is your child a lap child? If your child needs a seat, then it may be challenging to find a flight with two seats together if you misconnect.

By the time you pay for a checked bag, is basic economy cheaper? If you buy economy I think you can then pay for economy plus which might make sense with a child. I'd also check the seat map to see if one of the middle bulkheads on UA has seats. That gives you a bit more room with the kiddo.

I hate Frankfort. The security is really picky. I had to unpack all my camera gear because the x ray machine couldn't see it. I've never had to do that anywhere else.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smgord
It seems like not much, but then why is the price difference to economy so much more?
The primary difference, besides what you already stated, is that it can't be changed voluntarily. If something happened and you needed to shift the schedule by a day or two, absent something like a death or serious illness in the family, your tickets would have no value.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
Is your child a lap child? If your child needs a seat, then it may be challenging to find a flight with two seats together if you misconnect.

By the time you pay for a checked bag, is basic economy cheaper? If you buy economy I think you can then pay for economy plus which might make sense with a child. I'd also check the seat map to see if one of the middle bulkheads on UA has seats. That gives you a bit more room with the kiddo.

I hate Frankfort. The security is really picky. I had to unpack all my camera gear because the x ray machine couldn't see it. I've never had to do that anywhere else.
He’s not a lap child and I would want to sit with him. We don’t need economy plus though. He will be absorbed in his iPad and he’ll be perfectly fine. He happily takes a middle seat. Basic economy is not cheaper – in fact it will be a few hundred dollars more. But it will be nonstop. It would be closer if I use my United credit card and don’t have to pay for the checked bags, but then the travel insurance isn’t good and I’d pay just as much for travel insurance. So basically I’d be paying a few hundred dollars more to go nonstop.

Last edited by smgord; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:35 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I wouldn't chance it. UA's connection times are often iffy. 2 hours is probably doable, but 1 hour transit time in FRA is really pushing it.
i agree. I wouldn’t do anything less than 90 minute connection in FRA, I specially if not all on LH.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

It's a Sunday in July, first thing in the morning, around 8:30 AM is the time of the second flight. I've never been to FRA before and just feel like if the slightest thing goes wrong, we are in for it. I don't mind waiting for the next flight (in fact, I'd prefer to be booked on it), but what if it is full? Per below, wondering if I'd be better off booking nonstops in Basic Economy and paying for seats and luggage. It comes out a few hundred more, but I'm so conditioned of being afraid of Basic Economy that I'm not sure what else might be different, once I've paid for seats and bags. It seems like not much, but then why is the price difference to economy so much more?
Flights are more likely to be on time first thing in the morning since delays haven't had a chance to accumulate. Frankfurt is large, but the signage is excellent and you shouldn't have a problem finding your gate. And should you miss your flight, there are several others later in the day, and there must be dozens of possible rerouting options. Not everything will be full. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Thank you all. UA's pricing was all over the place today, and I found nonstops in both direction, regular economy class, for about $300 more than the flight with the FRA layover. I took it and cancelled the other. This is a good result, although it does mean that now I get to spend the next 24 hours obsessing over this. The Delta flights were one stop both ways about about the same price as this, so I consider this a good deal.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA
I think you made a good choice. July can be very crowded at FRA even early in the morning.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel
I think you made a good choice. July can be very crowded at FRA even early in the morning.
Honestly would have spent the entire trip obsessing over this; not worth it. Bonus, I no longer have to be at the airport at 4 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA
Honestly would have spent the entire trip obsessing over this; not worth it. Bonus, I no longer have to be at the airport at 4 AM.
The only good thing about those brutally early flights is the lack of traffic. The extra $300 is worth it not to have a shorter connection. July is when I have seen the long lines so it can happen. I have ended up transiting FRA or MUN every July for the past 6 years. I usually plan on having at least 2 hours connection. Hope you and you son have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel
The only good thing about those brutally early flights is the lack of traffic. The extra $300 is worth it not to have a shorter connection. July is when I have seen the long lines so it can happen. I have ended up transiting FRA or MUN every July for the past 6 years. I usually plan on having at least 2 hours connection. Hope you and you son have a wonderful trip.
Thank you so much!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I remember years ago there was a United agent in the FRA Z lounge just up the stairs. Are they still there?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
I remember years ago there was a United agent in the FRA Z lounge just up the stairs. Are they still there?
yes
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
yes
What's funny is that before LH issued BPs contained my PreCheck, I would go upstairs and have the agent print new UA BPs but the Lounge attendant would always think I am going upstairs to the Business Lounge and try to redirect me downstairs to the SEN lounge. After a few times I started asking the attendant if the UA agent was upstairs while she was scanning my BP for lounge access.

Is the UA desk that is around the corner from the lounge ever manned? I've never seen it opened.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Is the UA desk that is around the corner from the lounge ever manned? I've never seen it opened.
There is a UA desk at the Z-gates service center. But why wait in line there if you can get UA stuff resolved at the lounge?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was more of just a question as I've never seen anybody at the desk but I can say this there were a few times that I went to the lounge and the UA agent hadn't arrived yet and at times I just don't care to go to the lounge. Moot point now a days as my BPs now have PreCheck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.