Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
1h00 is short when connecting to a TATL flight, especially operated by UA. You'll probably make the connection most days, but it is on the stressful side. Unless you have a reason not to, I would just get up early and take the earlier FCO-FRA. You can get a nap on the TATL.
United747 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LyfeSaver
.... I think the first flight from Rome arrives into A gates and the UA flight departs from Z gates? ....
Axx and Zxx are the "same" gate. Axx access is from a different floor than Zxx. It depends on if the flight is inside the Schengen Zone (A gates) or outside the Schengen Zone, such as going to the USA, Zxx gates. If you entering inside the Schengen Zone (such as coming from FCO) you will have to exit the Schengen Zone to get to the Z gates for the flights to the USA. There are a number of locations in the terminal for doing this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I feel like @LyfeSaver was referring to the possibility of an "AEUW" bus arrival for the FCO-FRA flight versus an actual A gate. I agree with @findark, probably better to take the earlier flight and enjoy the Z50 lounge.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Axx and Zxx are the "same" gate. Axx access is from a different floor than Zxx. It depends on if the flight is inside the Schengen Zone (A gates) or outside the Schengen Zone, such as going to the USA, Zxx gates. If you entering inside the Schengen Zone (such as coming from FCO) you will have to exit the Schengen Zone to get to the Z gates for the flights to the USA. There are a number of locations in the terminal for doing this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I feel like LyfeSaver was referring to the possibility of an "AEUW" bus arrival for the FCO-FRA flight versus an actual A gate. I agree with findark, probably better to take the earlier flight and enjoy the Z50 lounge.
According to LHs flight status page LH 243 from FCO usually arrives at ASO which means bus arrival in the center of A concourse not far from passport control opposite gate A13. I agree one hour is too short for this connection.

Just a minor correction but AEUW is a bus arrival area for passengers arriving from outside Schengen.
764toHI likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LyfeSaver

I think the first flight from Rome arrives into A gates and the UA flight departs from Z gates? Is 1 hour connection time going to be stressful? Not sure if we'll deplane a bus gate, and wondering if this is really cutting it too short given we have to walk/go through passport control. Should I switch to option 2?
Option 2, without a doubt. FRAs passport control operation is sometimes dysfunctional, making a 1 hour connection tight. And as others have said, the Z lounges are worth a visit.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:02 pm

Short international connection question

I'm looking at a ticket from CDG to ORD that connects in Frankfurt for an hour. The first flight is Lufthanza, the second is United, would be booking through United. I'm assuming it is nearly impossible to make that connection (why do they even offer it?). There are more UA flights form Frankfurt to Chicago that day, but they don't show as available in economy class, so I can't purchase that combination. This particular combination is for a great price. What happens when I miss the flight? It is very early in the morning, so I would hope they could get us out the same day. Is it more difficult to manage since there are two different airlines, even though they are partners?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by smgord
I'm assuming it is nearly impossible to make that connection (why do they even offer it?).
Why do you think that? I would expect no problem at all.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm looking at a ticket from CDG to ORD that connects in Frankfurt for an hour. The first flight is Lufthanza, the second is United, would be booking through United. I'm assuming it is nearly impossible to make that connection (why do they even offer it?). There are more UA flights form Frankfurt to Chicago that day, but they don't show as available in economy class, so I can't purchase that combination. This particular combination is for a great price. What happens when I miss the flight? It is very early in the morning, so I would hope they could get us out the same day. Is it more difficult to manage since there are two different airlines, even though they are partners?
There is a really good thread about connecting in FRA on the LH board. A 1 hour connection is tight, but is possible to make.

LH and UA tend to work well together, but there can be hiccups.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
There is a really good thread about connecting in FRA on the LH board. A 1 hour connection is tight, but is possible to make.

LH and UA tend to work well together, but there can be hiccups.
So, maybe promising, but what happens if it doesn't work out?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So, maybe promising, but what happens if it doesn't work out?
Since this is a legal connection, Lufthansa (as the originating carrier) would be responsible for rebooking you.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since this is a legal connection, Lufthansa (as the originating carrier) would be responsible for rebooking you.
And most likely paying you up to 600 euro in compensation, depending on the exact circumstances...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by docbert
And most likely paying you up to 600 euro in compensation, depending on the exact circumstances...
The biggest concern I would have is long lines at passport control which would not be covered under EU 261.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel

The biggest concern I would have is long lines at passport control which would not be covered under EU 261.
would they still have to rebook me?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA

would they still have to rebook me?
Yes. It happened to me many years ago in Munich.

If you see the immigration line is long politely ask people if you can go ahead. I have let people in front of me at FRA.

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as you don't mind the possibility of a middle seat on a later flight then I would book this connection. You will make it most of the time, but it is still quite tight. LH will rebook you on one of the later flights that day under most normal circumstances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.