Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Worst-case scenario, you'll get rebooked via Munich on a flight that arrives Naples at 5:15pm. LH338 appears to be typically-German-punctual, while UA58 has at times been an hour late. But even an hour late you may still make the connection. I've lived in fear of tight connections at FRA but somehow it's always worked out. But, I always have a backup in mind, just in case.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I've lived in fear of tight connections at FRA but somehow it's always worked out.
My experience as well, even when I was sure I was going to miss.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
As the USA is treated as a "clean" country in the EU you just have to do the immigration, but no extra security. Not as Europeans in the USA. *smile*
Be sure to follow the signs to A-connections and after passportcontroll you are at the A-gates. Z and A are in the same terminal, but
Z is international upperfloor and A is shengen lower level. Even with a busgate I did it often under 20minutes.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zappa42m
Not as Europeans in the USA. *smile*
Perhaps you are unaware that (with limited exceptions at IAH and MIA) there are no international to international transits in the US. All arriving international passengers must clear immigration and customs and reclear security, regardless of their nationality. This applies to US citizens as well as citizens of other nations. It has nothing to do with whether the country from which they are arrivng is considered "clean" or not.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
You actually will not clear customs until NAP presuming you are on one PNR/ticket with bags checked through. You will choose the green or red channel upon exiting NAP and they could stop you to check your bags randomly there. You will do immigration for Schengen at FRA.
In fact, you do not even need to be on the same PNR, but you need to be able to interline your bags to your final destination, where you will need to clear customs.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
There is a very good FRA connection thread in the LH forum.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
If you are arriving at an "A" gate at FRA (from outside the EU, like on UA58 from SFO), you will actually be forced to walk upstairs (just after leaving the jet bridge) and will enter the terminal among the "Z" gates. From there, follow the signs to the "A" gates. This will involve both going down one level and clearing passport control to enter the EU.

If you arrive at a bus gate, just follow the signs to the "A" gates. This may involve a tunnel and long walkways, but just keep following the signs.

You have enough time if your first flight is mostly on-time and you keep moving once you get there! Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

JK-SFO
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Perhaps you are unaware that (with limited exceptions at IAH and MIA) there are no international to international transits in the US. All arriving international passengers must clear immigration and customs and reclear security, regardless of their nationality. This applies to US citizens as well as citizens of other nations. It has nothing to do with whether the country from which they are arrivng is considered "clean" or not.
I think he meant security "clean", as in certain countries arriving from non-Schengen countries don't have to re-clear security, which includes US, Canada, and the UK (as far as I know). You basically exit the plane in the sterile zone and allows easy transfer without the hassle of security check again. I know MUC and VIE have this setup as well.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Continental
Thanks for the replies...actually I meant a star gold line for passport control rather than customs.
Hopefully Flt #58 will be close to on time so I can make the original NAP flight.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Thanks for the replies...actually I meant a star gold line for passport control rather than customs.
Hopefully Flt #58 will be close to on time so I can make the original NAP flight.
No special lines for passport control, but generally passport control isn't a problem at FRA for most times of the day. You should definitely go peruse the thread in the LH forum as this has been addressed many times in the thread.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I think he meant security "clean", as in certain countries arriving from non-Schengen countries don't have to re-clear security, which includes US, Canada, and the UK (as far as I know). You basically exit the plane in the sterile zone and allows easy transfer without the hassle of security check again. I know MUC and VIE have this setup as well.
Thats exactly what I meant. Thank you hirohito888
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Continental
As it turned out, my flight from SFO arrived almost an hour early so there was no problem with the connection.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am curious as to what flights are eligible at IAH. AFAIK, IAH cannot support airside transfers at all. They do have a connecting option right after immigration and customs that allows pax to teclear security in a special line. But other than that, I am unaware of this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by hockey7711
As it turned out, my flight from SFO arrived almost an hour early so there was no problem with the connection.
Glad it worked out so well and thanks for reporting back that you made it!

JK-SFO
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by chermorg
I am curious as to what flights are eligible at IAH. AFAIK, IAH cannot support airside transfers at all.
International to international has a special process at IAH. You clear immigration, but do not have to collect your bag, it is checked through.

No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.